Trying to get an early account combination after PC at Cap1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get an early account combination after PC at Cap1

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

I may come across sarcastic or as an ass. But I'm not here to hold people's hands and tell them that they can surely get something if they sure try! OP knows the policy, already called and got denied trying to go around that policy then comes here and makes a thread asking if there is another way to go around it. What are we supposed to say?

That's not what occurred, I called to ask if I was ever getting a statement since I kept getting different answers from the chat. I then asked if it was possible to just close and merge. I wasn't trying to "get around a policy". She didn't say I wasn't allowed to do it, she said first line CSRs don't have that capability, which is what lead me to think it may be possible. But hey, if it makes people feel good to pile on that's fine. I make capital one money, they don't make me any, so anything I can do to get an advantage with them is ok in my book. I have better cards from other lenders at this point. This is the same site that thought they'd be able to sue OCCU for closing people's risky as hell accounts, so I take everything with a grain of salt. 

Rewards?

You'd have to show me a value analysis that shows that rewards actually accumulate in a significant manner. Your spend has to be very high for it to be a meaningful amount of money that compensates for the time spent managing credit. Of course meaningful is different to everyone, it's really more of a way to justify using credit for most people.  For me it's purely a mathematical game designed to get me low interest on high ticket items like houses and cars. 

Example: 5K a month through capital one's 1.5% cash back is 75$ a month. Except 5K is an impossible spend a month for anyone making less than 100K a year unless they are horribly overextended and are shifting money around between credit cards. Most mortgage lenders I've seen and other high ticket items don't let you pay with a credit card, so you're out on that which means we're talking utilities and expendable cash. That's a lot of money to 80% of the country, which means they don't really see a lot of value for those rewards. 

It's fun to churn and do all of those things, but at the end of the day it's not exactly an investment. 

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Ahh! And im usually good with grammar.

Anyway OP I dont think anyone meant disrespect. Im sure you arent intentionally trying to game the system. But youll just need to wait 6 months to combine.

Hey no hard feelings from me. And I ABSOLUTELY am trying to game the system! I have no need for crazy amounts of credit card credit, or tons of tradelines. I only have one card I REALLY want, which is an AMEX, because I loved the commercials as a kid in the 80s. It's a stupid personal thing. But besides that, I have 10 Positive reporting tradelines, which is really enough, at this point it's getting into higher limit cards to show "responsibility" and getting this car loan paid off so I can get my Audi, and buy my long-suffering partner and son the house they deserve. 

Message 22 of 23
redpat
Senior Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ther are ways to get your point across that are perfectly fine and then there are ways that cross over from informative to unnecessarily sarcastic.  Several of the responses here do that.  Please refrain from doing so

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/m-p/2797115

Seems like the myFICO forum tends to baby people. If people say anything that is not supportive of another, then they often get the ettiquette link thrown at them.

I don't think anyone was being too sarcastic (unless you meant post #6 and MAYBE #5). There were some things said that the OP didn't want to hear, but I don't see any sarcasm. Even if they were sarcastic, I think if people are asking for unnecessary things, then the sarcasm thrown at them isn't necessarily unnecessary. (Ok, I didn't necessarily need to say necessary/unnecessary that many times). In this case and point, the OP is being unreasonably impatient. I see no reason why people shouldn't call that out. It's not like people are saying that the OP is being immature or stupid, in which case the etiquette link should be thrown at them.

Anyway, I dream of a day when we can openly call someone stupid IF the situation warranted it. We have too many "congrats" posts (especially in the Approval forum) when the proper response should be, "You get another card? -rolleyes-" or "That was dumb!"

+1, I'll TRUMP that, lol!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.