Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to recover active but unused credit card account

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to recover active but unused credit card account

@Question_man wrote:

All good ideas, except that I don't think I've ever actually used that account, so I would never have written a check to pay that account. 

In your OP you state you did use it ......

"I have an active credit card account, but I have not used it in many years and I discarded the card.  My insurer issued a credit to this account, and I have the last 4 digits of the account. How can I learn the name of the issuer of this card?"

-doubletalk LSmiley LOL

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 51 of 60
Question_man

@GApeachy wrote:

@Question_man wrote:

All good ideas, except that I don't think I've ever actually used that account, so I would never have written a check to pay that account. 

In your OP you state you did use it ......

"I have an active credit card account, but I have not used it in many years and I discarded the card.  My insurer issued a credit to this account, and I have the last 4 digits of the account. How can I learn the name of the issuer of this card?"

-doubletalk LSmiley LOL

Poor thinking on my part.

Since I supplied the card number for my insurer to use, it probably was used.  I was thinking that I probably did not use the card "out of my wallet, for everyday purchases", the way I use my "main" card.

Message 52 of 60
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Question_man your credit report lists issuers. Did you look at your report?  

Message 53 of 60
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Question_man  how many credit cards do you currently have? Could you please list them. Unless you have like 30+ this shouldn't be so hard to discern what card you haven't used in 2 years. . 

Message 54 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Suggestion to look at credit report has been made multiple times. It's the only solution to OPs problem, and yet, it's something they aren't willing to do. 

Then here  they stated issuer cannot help them, and the only reason why someone would make such a statement is if they know who issuer is and have contacted them. If they contacted them, one would think that's the end of that story. 

If they didn't contact them, I have no idea how to interpret "issuer cannot help me" 

In any case, refund from the issuer will be mailed via check, it's just going to take a while. 

There is absolutely nothing about this thread that I understand at this point. 

While @Remedios was confused by "issuer", the bolded part is important.  @Question_man, unless you have a reason to think that the credit card issuer doesn't have a current address, eventually (few months max) they have to refund the credit balance via check, or, worse case ACH.   And that credit will also identify the issuer.

Message 55 of 60
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Suggestion to look at credit report has been made multiple times. It's the only solution to OPs problem, and yet, it's something they aren't willing to do. 

Then here  they stated issuer cannot help them, and the only reason why someone would make such a statement is if they know who issuer is and have contacted them. If they contacted them, one would think that's the end of that story. 

If they didn't contact them, I have no idea how to interpret "issuer cannot help me" 

In any case, refund from the issuer will be mailed via check, it's just going to take a while. 

While @Remedios was confused by "issuer", the bolded part is important.  @Question_man, unless you have a reason to think that the credit card issuer doesn't have a current address, eventually (few months max) they have to refund the credit balance via check, or, worse case ACH.   And that credit will also identify the issuer.

I am still confused 

I'm just hoping season doesn't end with cliffhanger. 

Message 56 of 60
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am still confused 

It's actually not confusing at all. I could post a bullet-point summary, but it's all spelled out in this thread, so I won't bother.

OP, I hope you're able to get this sorted out. Just keep in mind that since we're talking about a credit, you're not going to be in any kind of trouble for not paying a bill, you know, like if it was the opposite and you owed money and it ended up on your credit reports. Also, as someone(s) noted upthread, CC companies are required to refund credit balances, so--ultimately--you should receive a check in the mail, as I recently did for one of my Cap1 credit balances. In my case, the account had a negative balance for several months before they finally cut a check. Sit tight! One of these days, even if you don't solve the mystery before then, you should receive a check!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 57 of 60
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am still confused 

It's actually not confusing at all. I could post a bullet-point summary, but it's all spelled out in this thread, so I won't bother.

OP, I hope you're able to get this sorted out. Just keep in mind that since we're talking about a credit, you're not going to be in any kind of trouble for not paying a bill, you know, like if it was the opposite and you owed money and it ended up on your credit reports. Also, as someone(s) noted upthread, CC companies are required to refund credit balances, so--ultimately--you should receive a check in the mail, as I recently did for one of my Cap1 credit balances. In my case, the account had a negative balance for several months before they finally cut a check. Sit tight! One of these days, even if you don't solve the mystery before then, you should receive a check!

You're not confused at the fact that obvious solution hasnt been tried?  

I am not confused at what happened, refund was issued, OP doesn't know which card/issuer. Insurer cannot tell them name of the lender or full card number. 

If refund was truly processed, account is open. If it's open, it's on CR.

If it's on CR, it's easily found. Not only that it's easily found but it would give them reported balances for each month, probably helping with elimination process if there are multiple cards that haven't been used. 

Message 58 of 60
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am still confused 

You're not confused at the fact that obvious solution hasnt been tried?  

I am not confused at what happened, refund was issued, OP doesn't know which card/issuer. Insurer cannot tell them name of the lender or full card number. 

If refund was truly processed, account is open. If it's open, it's on CR.

If it's on CR, it's easily found. Not only that it's easily found but it would give them reported balances for each month, probably helping with elimination process if there are multiple cards that haven't been used. 

I must have miscredited you for someone else's comment about the *issuer* having been contacted by the OP, when it was actually the insurance company.

The OP hasn't stated yet whether they've tried the obvious solution that we've all suggested, i.e., checking their reports. That part of this issue is somewhat puzzling, but the issue itself is not confusing. Again, I must have miscredited you for someone else's statement that "I am still confused." Sorry about that!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 59 of 60
Question_man

Here's a summary of what I've learned so far about my "missing credit card account". I'm pretty sure I will not learn any more until something is charged to that account (which I expect to happen when my insurance is renewed later this year).

1. I requested a report from one of the 3 major reporting companies. It listed every credit card I own or have owned in the past 8 or so years. Not one of them was the account in question!

This leads me to suspect that the account in question might be my regular, heavily-used credit card and that the "account number" in question is a virtual number.

2. I sent a snailmail letter to the insurance company seeking info. I figured that was the best way to get any info it had.

It replied that if the account had been closed it would have been notified of that; therefore the account must still be open.

Telephone conversations with the company rep were useless; the rep could not identify the company which carried my credit card, so I have written a letter to the company, which I suspect will work much better than those idiotic conversations with the rep.

3. CreditKarma tried but was unable to help me. I suspect the reason might be that the last 4 digits of the card I have on file with the insurer are a virtual card.

4. Conversations with the rep of my main credit card, which I'll call XXX, and which might be the one attached to those last 4 digits, were similarly useless, so I have written a letter to the company that issued my card. My fairly strong hunch is that XXX is in fact the company that issued the card--though if so, it's puzzling that the credit never appeared on my statement.

5. Perhaps especially important: all these companies that deal with "ordinary consumers"--credit card companies, insurers, etc--seem to have made it extremely difficult to contact a real human being by phone or email. I'm pretty sure that's no accident. And even though you might be able to find an 800 number on the web, those too are frustrating.

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.