cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to take my credit to the next level: Input needed!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to take my credit to the next level: Input needed!

I don't remember seeing anyone upthread say that there's not really an upside to closing cards as they will stay on your report for 10 years anyway, so it's not like it's going to make it look 'neater'. And as someone just said, it'll hurt your utility. So I definitely wouldn't close anything until you get stuff paid down/off. 

Message 11 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
well, with NFCU if they wanna HP you a lot of times you can send a secure message to cancel it. it's not 100% but it has worked for me each time. they send a message back next day saying "your request has been canceled" and no HPs on my reports. AR happens in about a week and 2-3 days.

Really? So you app for a CLI, if it gives you the 7-10 day you send the SM and ask to cancel? I've never heard that one before. Hmmm good idea! Worth a shot I suppose. I wonder if I should pay down the balance I owe to them first before apping? 

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

it wouldn't hurt. and wait until after march 1st for the AR
Message 13 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

What is the next level, you are looking for?  I see most of the major players, with 4  digit credit limits and 5 digit credit limits. 

Most of those cards will grow slowly with time. If you have the income to back it up, the AMEX may even grow to 30k after 6 months to a year. 

NFCU is known for  giving CLI's.

Most everything else will take time.

If there is a card you want, apply for them 1 or 2 per year, with at least 6 months between these cards.

I would just like to be at like 750 across the board, with all my CLs being over $5k and less silly accounts I don't use. I do have good income, I think Amex will give me the bump in 6 months, but several of my other accounts haven't moved in over a year, such as USAA, NFCU, Chase, etc. (basically all the ones that require an HP). I've been deliberately trying not to have my credit pulled so I'm trying to really conserve HPs as much as I can. I just know if I want a CLI from Chase I have to take the HP, so if they're doing one for Freedom, might as well have them use it for a new app too. The only other HP I think would be worth it is USAA as I believe I have a good shot at doubling that CL into 5 figures.

Message 14 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
it wouldn't hurt. and wait until after march 1st for the AR

ok, cool! I'll try that. I just had an issue that my mortgage got transferred from one servicer to another so it was showing up duplicated on my CR. I disputed it and got the 2nd one removed, but I noticed on Credit Karma it caused my score to drop because it looked like I doubled my mortgage debt. I know CK is far from the most reliable, but I don't want to have any issues. It's off EQ and TU now, waiting for the confirmation from EX. Hopefully it'll come off before 3/1 when they do the AR pull. I also just got rid of a leased vehicle so that should be coming off my credit any day now and should decease my recurring debt payments.

Message 15 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't remember seeing anyone upthread say that there's not really an upside to closing cards as they will stay on your report for 10 years anyway, so it's not like it's going to make it look 'neater'. And as someone just said, it'll hurt your utility. So I definitely wouldn't close anything until you get stuff paid down/off. 

Understood, but every month that goes by it's going to be delaying that 10 years waiting for them to fall off for cards I'm not using anyway or not planning on ever using. Ideally if I'm paying down plus getting CLIs, my util should continue to go down. I'm only at about 10-12% now so I think targeting around 5% is realistic and something that should help my credit, no?

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:

Hey all,

So my credit has been kind of stagnant for a while since I've been carrying some heavier balances than I'd like after an emergency medical expense late last year. My scores have been hovering between 680-720 across the board, but I really want to try and streamline my small useless PITA accounts, and just maintain a few good ones with healthy limits. I'd love some input on my plan to see if anyone has a better idea!

I'm hoping USAA will give me a decent CL, though they haven't given me one yet. Should doing all that and getting my util down and total outstanding balances down help bump my score? I have no derogs/baddies whatsoever, but my AAoA kind of sucks. I'm just trying to minimize some accounts so my credit report doesn't look like such a cluster-you-know-what. ∫ Thoughts? I'd love any insight or advice!!

Thanks!

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Understood, but every month that goes by it's going to be delaying that 10 years waiting for them to fall off for cards I'm not using anyway or not planning on ever using. Ideally if I'm paying down plus getting CLIs, my util should continue to go down. I'm only at about 10-12% now so I think targeting around 5% is realistic and something that should help my credit, no?

If your main thing is to clean up your report/simplify/streamline, great. That was one of the things you said you wanted to do, but you also said you wanted to get your scores up. So will closing the accounts help get your score up? No. Will it eventially make your report cleaner (and generally make you feel better), yes. And if you're not planning on using them ever, sure. Is 10-12% bad utility, no. Is 5% better, yes. Will closing accounts help you get closer to that utility, no. 
So it really depends what your priority is. 
Message 17 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@nitrov wrote:

So my credit has been kind of stagnant for a while since I've been carrying some heavier balances than I'd like after an emergency medical expense late last year.

Emergencies happen but high revolving utilization can certainly hold you down.  Keep in mind that it has signifiicant impact and falls under Amounts Owed.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Get it down and work on setting up a liquid reserve.  I know that's easier said than done but ideally one shouldn't rely solely on credit for emergencies.

@nitrov wrote:

Mini app spree for NEW Chase Sapphire, CLI on Freedom...maybe CLI on IHG card too? Or should I not push it?

@nitrov wrote:

my AAoA kind of sucks.

You don't see the disconnect here? It's not surprise that your AAoA took a major hit given how many accounts you've opened in the past 2 years.  I see at least 9.  How old are your newest accounts?  People seem to frequently overlook that recent credit activity has an impact on one's credit profile.

If your AAoA is in poor shape, opening new accounts will not help. What purposes will these new cards serve? Is that a bigger priority then getting your credit profile in better shape?

@nitrov wrote:

I'm just trying to minimize some accounts so my credit report doesn't look like such a cluster-you-know-what. 

What do you mean by minimize?  If the accounts are on your reports it's too late for that.  You need to consider this before applying -- not after.  Closing will not remove an account from your reports.

I'd advise working with what you have.  You've already had a lot ot recenty activity.  More credit seeking activity will not help you.

@nitrov wrote:

I wasn't sure if there were some other tricks or some other insights people had specifically on any of the creditors I have but I think I've researched pretty much all of them at this point thanks to these forums and the only reason I'd be closing them is because they stink with giving CLIs or I otherwise have no use for them.

Certainly close what is of no use to you but the limits you get will be determined based on what your credit profile and income qualify for.  Don't rely solely on the creditor/product to determine limit.  That's just half of the equation.  If you aren't getting the limits and CLI's you want then you need to improve your credit profile so it qualifies.

Don't rely on tricks, quick fixes, etc.  Building credit is a long, slow process and even if you get to where you want to be you'll have to continue to be vigilant to maintain it.  The gains come slower as you move on up -- pretty much like any curve.

@nitrov wrote:

I want to keep the PRG only because it's backdated and one of my oldest accounts but I def don't need a PRG AND a Platinum, especially with those hefty AFs.

Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.  A closed account will typically remain on your reports for 10 years after closure and continue to factor into AAoA until it falls off.  If you have no need for the PRG but want to keep it then consider PC'ing it to charge card with a lower AF.  See if the Senior Green is still avaialble.

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Sure you can but closing cards will create a downward pull.

Depends on how the factors add up.  I closed many cards while rebuilding.  Don't just assume that closing means a negative hit. Again, see the Closing Credit Cards thread.  One does not need to hoard credit to build credit despite the popularity of the meme.

Message 18 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

So my credit has been kind of stagnant for a while since I've been carrying some heavier balances than I'd like after an emergency medical expense late last year.

Emergencies happen but high revolving utilization can certainly hold you down.  Keep in mind that it has signifiicant impact and falls under Amounts Owed.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Get it down and work on setting up a liquid reserve.  I know that's easier said than done but ideally one shouldn't rely solely on credit for emergencies.

@nitrov wrote:

Mini app spree for NEW Chase Sapphire, CLI on Freedom...maybe CLI on IHG card too? Or should I not push it?

@nitrov wrote:

my AAoA kind of sucks.

You don't see the disconnect here? It's not surprise that your AAoA took a major hit given how many accounts you've opened in the past 2 years.  I see at least 9.  How old are your newest accounts?  People seem to frequently overlook that recent credit activity has an impact on one's credit profile.

If your AAoA is in poor shape, opening new accounts will not help. What purposes will these new cards serve? Is that a bigger priority then getting your credit profile in better shape?

I have cash in the bank, investments, retirement assets, and equity in my home. I'm not paying interest on the balances I'm carrying due to BT promos and just the way CareCredit works. I would rather carry some balances at 0-2% interest than deplete any of my liquid or fallback assets. I understand the impact carrying balances causes, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to leverage financial resources and preserve the other ones you have. I could pay off every nickel of CC debt I have right now and have hardly any cash in the bank, but that's a stupid idea that would put me in a VERY bad predicament if another emergency did arise a few months later.

My AAoA sucks because I bought my house in Dec 2013 and got a lot of new credit after closing. I was house hunting for 2 years and couldn't apply for any new credit. I hardly had ANY credit before I bought my house. My identity was stolen several years ago and I had been spending years just cleaning up my credit and getting garbage off, so I had to start somewhere. As far as new account"S" I'm only talking about opening ONE new account if you read my plan, the rest are CLIs, which is part of my effort to, as you say get my credit profile in better shape.

The other credit I have is stuff I need, such as the aforementioned mortgage, auto loan, student loans, etc. I would love to refinance my mortgage or buy another home in 2016 and in order to make that worthwhile my credit needs to be solid, but I also need liquid assets, so I'm trying to find that happy medium and get my credit where it will help me achieve my financial goals.

Message 19 of 20
nitrov
Established Contributor

as for your added comments, I would be closing the Platinum card since it looks like a new account anyway. I WOULD NOT close my PRG BECAUSE it appears as backdated and one of my oldest accounts. I know why you would or would not close an account, I am proposing to close only smaller or newer accounts that aren't really helping me much right now anyway in terms of age or utilization.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.