cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to upgrade Chase Slate...to Chase Freedom Ultimate???

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Trying to upgrade Chase Slate...to Chase Freedom Ultimate???

So, this was a weird conversation that I had with a Chase rep over the phone today. I called them about possibly moving my CL on my Chase Slate to the CFU next month, which she said it might not be possible due to the $500 CL (understandable). I then asked about possibly upgrading it (which I almost prefer closing it since I rarely use it and only charge $10-20/month on it). She mentioned I can upgrade to the FU, CSP, CSR and Freedom Ultimate??? I was pretty confused on the last card because I thought maybe she was referring to the standard Freedom card or the no AF version of the CSP. But she kept saying "Freedom Ultimate" which the way she described the cash back rewards is just like the Freedom's 5% quarterly rewards. I may go into the bank directly tomorrow and ask them since I have a few friends that work there. Not sure if Chase is changing the name of that card that we're not aware of and maybe she let it slip out?

BTW, as much as I like the CSP card, I just don't do enough spending on 2x travel to offset the AF, especially with what's going on now with Covid-19. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ficosuave
Contributor

Re: Trying to upgrade Chase Slate...to Chase Freedom Ultimate???

Pretty sure I've seen past posts referring to the Freedom Ultimate with regard to PCs. It seems to just be some internal label that only (sometimes) gets uncovered when changing products. The more seasoned reps probably know to just call it the Freedom to avoid confusion.

That, or reps simply misread "Chase Freedom, Ultimate Rewards Credit Card" as "Chase Freedom Ultimate, Rewards Credit Card".

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

"Freedom Ultimate" is indeed a fairly common term used by Chase reps to refer to the "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" card.  They often have a hard time distinguishing between F and FU.  When I moved lines around and upgraded my Freedom to a Visa Singature a few years ago, they botched it due to the confusion and product changed me to Freedom Unlimited then to Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature and then correctly to Freedom Visa Singature.

Message 3 of 5
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you both that that it's a phrase that they use as Chase employees for the customer service phone lines. But it's good to know that there's an option to PC it. I'll still go to the bank tomorrow or within the next week to ask them about the CL transfer. I think the only way I would still keep the card is if they somehow let me PC it to the CSP no AF version (will have to calculate my spending on dining). But I know that will likely require a CLI and a HP for a card like that, which I would rather hold off until after I try to get the Amex HH card in August. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Related discussion (though it doesn't add too much content): https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Freedom-vs-Freedom-Unlimited/m-p/5908493/highlight/tru...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.