Did you mean: 

Trying to use American Express

tag
hernaemm90
New Contributor

Re: Trying to use American Express

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

When it asks for the security numbers (CVV), are you using the ones on the front of the card? 

Bingo.

Not bingo, I am using the 4 digit CVV

Message 11 of 47
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

When it asks for the security numbers (CVV), are you using the ones on the front of the card? 

That's exactly what I was going to ask.  For those new to Amex it still throws them that the CVV is the 4 on the front rather than the 3 on the back.  Took me a google search to figure it out with my first Amex card.    Besides transferring MR points to travel partners I can't think of any other instance where I've needed that number.  Maybe Amex should consider getting rid of it. 

I am using the 4 digit CVV

Message 12 of 47
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Guess it should have been asked if the amex is issued by amex themselves. Centurion bank issued cards use the code on the front. Cards issued by partners like NFCU and Macy's normally use the code on the back of the card.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Not in my experience.  My Dillard's, NFCU, and Propel Amex cards all require the 4 on the front as did my PenFed Amex (before I ditched it).

Message 13 of 47
hernaemm90
New Contributor

Guess it should have been asked if the amex is issued by amex themselves. Centurion bank issued cards use the code on the front. Cards issued by partners like NFCU and Macy's normally use the code on the back of the card.

I'm using the Hilton Honors card

Message 14 of 47
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@hernaemm90 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to ask.  For those new to Amex it still throws them that the CVV is the 4 on the front rather than the 3 on the back.  Took me a google search to figure it out with my first Amex card.    Besides transferring MR points to travel partners I can't think of any other instance where I've needed that number.  Maybe Amex should consider getting rid of it. 

I am using the 4 digit CVV

OP when I'm gonna guess that it's an issue on the side of Pizza Hut because if you're entering everything correctly from the card and the billing address you're using is the same as the billing address of the card then there's nothing else you can do on your end other than chuck it up to mystery and use another card or call and pay by phone. 

Message 15 of 47
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Not in my experience.  My Dillard's, NFCU, and Propel Amex cards all require the 4 on the front as did my PenFed Amex (before I ditched it).

That interesting, because almost all 3rd party amex cards I have to accept require the 3 on the back to be processed.  Maybe it depends on the card reader.

Message 16 of 47
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Could be the processor, now that I think about it.

Message 17 of 47
hernaemm90
New Contributor

OP when I'm gonna guess that it's an issue on the side of Pizza Hut because if you're entering everything correctly from the card and the billing address you're using is the same as the billing address of the card then there's nothing else you can do on your end other than chuck it up to mystery and use another card or call and pay by phone. 

Yeah, it seems i'll just use another card as I've been doing since nobody has replied saying they also have this issue

Message 18 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a difference between the CID (4 digits in front) and the CVV (3 digits on the back).

Message 19 of 47
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a difference between the CID (4 digits in front) and the CVV (3 digits on the back).

What's CID?

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.