Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to use American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to use American Express

The CID or Card Identification number is the 4-digit code on the right front of an Amex card.  It is an added security feature of the card.  The CVV is the 3-digit number printed on the signature strip at the back of the card.  On older Amex cards the CID was embossed so it could not be scratched off.

Have you tried using the number on the back of the card?

Message 21 of 47
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The CID or Card Identification number is the 4-digit code on the right front of an Amex card.  It is an added security feature of the card.  The CVV is the 3-digit number printed on the signature strip at the back of the card.  On older Amex cards the CID was embossed so it could not be scratched off.

Have you tried using the number on the back of the card?

I have not tried using the numbers on the back, i'll try it next time I order Pizzahut

Message 22 of 47
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have a theory that the 11-digit AMEX network cards use the 4 digit on the front to make a string equivalent to the VISA / MC 12 digit plus 3 digit CVV. I have no idea if this holds water.

But I am hungry. Did we get pizza?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to ask.  For those new to Amex it still throws them that the CVV is the 4 on the front rather than the 3 on the back.  Took me a google search to figure it out with my first Amex card.    Besides transferring MR points to travel partners I can't think of any other instance where I've needed that number.  Maybe Amex should consider getting rid of it. 

CVV is needed for most online shopping. How could they get rid of it?

Message 24 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to ask.  For those new to Amex it still throws them that the CVV is the 4 on the front rather than the 3 on the back.  Took me a google search to figure it out with my first Amex card.    Besides transferring MR points to travel partners I can't think of any other instance where I've needed that number.  Maybe Amex should consider getting rid of it. 

My AMEX cards have never used the CVV for online shopping, always the 4 digit CID even on fields that asked for CVV I had to use the CID. 

AMEX is incredibly confusing sometimes. 

Message 25 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

My AMEX cards have never used the CVV for online shopping, always the 4 digit CID even on fields that asked for CVV I had to use the CID. 

I was going with the post I was replying to, that called the 4-digit number the CVV.

Message 26 of 47
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Which security code, if at all, is not determined by the card issuer. It is determined by the vendor and the vendor's processing network.

Pizza Hut franchise #1 may not require any, #2 may require 4 digit, and #3 require the 3 digit. Older processing software is not set up for the 4 digit code and thus only allows for use of the 3 digit if vendor requires one.

Discount fees to vendor are often reduced based upon additional security steps taken. This is why some vendors require more than others.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
I have a theory that the 11-digit AMEX network cards use the 4 digit on the front to make a string equivalent to the VISA / MC 12 digit plus 3 digit CVV. I have no idea if this holds water.

But I am hungry. Did we get pizza?

👆So far the only relevent question asked.

um would it not have been faster just to call Pizza Hut and/or Amex. Love the forum but a forum is probably not the most efficient problem solving tool when the goal is "get pizza in belly". Two hours of responses while you go hungry?

Message 28 of 47
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

To answer the original question, yes Pizza Hut accepts American Express both online and in their app.  I order from them every few weeks, and due to an Amex Offer on my Gold Card for additional MRs on top of the 4 for restaurants, have been using that card there for a few months.  In the past I have also regularly other Amex cards.

This sounds like either an issue on Pizza Hut's end when you were trying it, or a browser caching issue.  For what it's worth, "invalid card number" from a processor usually means that it's physically impossible for that particular card number to exist as the numbers on credit cards all add up to a checksum.

Message 29 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

To answer the original question, yes Pizza Hut accepts American Express both online and in their app.  I order from them every few weeks, and due to an Amex Offer on my Gold Card for additional MRs on top of the 4 for restaurants, have been using that card there for a few months.  In the past I have also regularly other Amex cards.

This sounds like either an issue on Pizza Hut's end when you were trying it, or a browser caching issue.  For what it's worth, "invalid card number" from a processor usually means that it's physically impossible for that particular card number to exist as the numbers on credit cards all add up to a checksum.

@K-in-Boston All that said, which security numbers are they accepting? The four digits on the front of the card or the three digits on the back of the card?

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.