cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Store credit cards to everything credit cards..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn Store credit cards to everything credit cards..

Is there anyway to change store credit cards to regular credit cards? (Best buy, home depot, walmart)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turn Store credit cards to everything credit cards..

AFAIK store cards are co-branded and aren't considered for PC to regular cards. Amex however seems to allow PC.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only one I've seen was Saks to Saks WEMC.  The rest you would have to apply for and then close your other card.  I did so with Sam's Club.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there anyway to change store credit cards to regular credit cards? (Best buy, home depot, walmart)

Gift cards.

Message 4 of 14
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

The store / credit card issuer may decide to upgrade your store cards to normal credit cards.  Normally, they will give you the offer and you can accept or decline.  Be sure to check to see if the upgrade will keep the same open date before accepting.   I don't know if the stores you listed, currently offer the upgrades or not.  If they don't offer them now, they could always have a change of policy in a few years.   If the store offers a store card (for poor credit) and a visa/mc card (for good credit), you could always call them and ask if they would be willing to upgrade you. YMMV.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously though. The three you mentioned, you can buy gift cards to other retailers or restaurants. HD never turns into a major network card. Best buy, you have to apply and get approved for network version, Walmart appears to be upgradable but takes forever.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about Sears?  My Sears store card has a $6k limit.  It'll be nice to change this to an actual credit card with only a soft pull

Message 7 of 14
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What about Sears?  My Sears store card has a $6k limit.  It'll be nice to change this to an actual credit card with only a soft pull

Completely off topic but what an awesomely cute signature. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Completely off topic but what an awesomely cute signature. 

Thanks!  She's my baby!

Message 9 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Some do, some don't.   We used to see regular posts of Walmart store card being upgraded to Walmart Discover; however, I haven't seen any upgrade posts since Walmart changed their cobranded card from Discover to MC.    I don't know if Best Buy offers this.   Home Depot is strictly a store card, so this won't be able to upgrade.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.