cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned Down for Pentagon Federal CLI

tag
Mylan96

Turned Down for Pentagon Federal CLI

I have had a Pen Fed credit card since September 2012 with a $16.5K credit limit and waited a year to apply for an increase. After 4 days of the application pending, I finally spoke to a Customer Rep today and was turned down. Since their link online doesn't allow you to put a number on the requested increase it wasn't until today that I told her I wanted a modest increase to $20K.  After putting me on hold to speak with a loan officer, she told me that I was declined because of my income! Something about a percentage of my yearly income. My income is $80K and I have kept my monthly balances under 10% and paid in full each month. My question is whether it is hopeless to expect any increase in the future or whether $16.5K is all I'll be able to obtain with them. Any and all responses would be welcome. Oh, my average FICO score is around 750.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Re: Turned Down for Pentagon Federal CLI

Don't hold your breath. 

There is no rhyme or reason with PFCU. 

I've been stuck on $9500 total credit from them since 2010. Even if I apply for a new card I would have to dip into my current credit line. 

It's my lowest among USAA/NFCU/AMEX/BoA. I've had a 740 EX the entire time. 

You should just be content with what you've got and don't waste any more pulls with PFCU. The organization is quickly going downhill and people are jumping off the ship with the recent changes to their cash rewards/plat rewards line. 

Message 2 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Just pay attention to their quarterly offers.  The best thing you can do is make sure you manage your score so when they pull their quarterly score, yours will be high and hopefully get one of the quarterly offers that require no HP etc.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 13
Mylan96

Yeah I just feel stupid for having wasted my time applying, especially since I knew PFCU was so conservative. Plus the fact I have never heard of any other bank/credit union factoring income into their equation, especially since my scores are high and payment history impeccable.

Message 4 of 13
Mylan96

So for all the experienced users here (I've only had credit for 3 years), it sounds like my experience is fairly common and PFCU just does not like giving increases for anyone basically? NFCU is the first credit card I had and they are much more accomodating (increases granted on a regular basis).

Message 5 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Mylan96 wrote:

Yeah I just feel stupid for having wasted my time applying, especially since I knew PFCU was so conservative. Plus the fact I have never heard of any other bank/credit union factoring income into their equation, especially since my scores are high and payment history impeccable.

PenFed is one that does factor income,,,,,,,, no matter how high your score is

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 13
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Curious of when and where you see quarterly offers ?

I have only had my account since March 2013.

I did get LOC for 20k starting, and Visa for 19k starting, no recon or docs required for either.

Thank you

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 7 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

I did get LOC for 20k starting, and Visa for 19k starting, no recon or docs required for either.

Thank you

J

Quarterly offers ..... Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct... that show up on your home page if you get any

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

Thank you

J

Quarterly offers ..... Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct... that show up on your home page if you get any

I wouldn't expect to start until 1 year + 1 quarter.  Also, might want to check EQ credit report to see if they are softing your report.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 13
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I've been a card member almost three years now with them and have never, not even once, received any quarterly offer of any kind. 

It's truly random what PFCU thinks

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.