cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm, I was gonna do the Orchard bank card for him but there might be a problem... On his credit report he has a collection listed from best buy that says HSBC/best buy. Is it the same thing? If so I bet they wouldn't approve him for the card considering he owes them money. I'm confused tho, cuz the card was a best buy card. I dunno, should I try it or not?

Orchard bank is now Capital One

HSBC is now Capital One

Best Buy cards are now handled by Capital One...

If he has a collection with Best Buy, I'd avoid Cap1. They may hold a grudge considering he still owes them.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 21 of 63
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm, I was gonna do the Orchard bank card for him but there might be a problem... On his credit report he has a collection listed from best buy that says HSBC/best buy. Is it the same thing? If so I bet they wouldn't approve him for the card considering he owes them money. I'm confused tho, cuz the card was a best buy card. I dunno, should I try it or not?

HSBC is now Capital One

If he has a collection with Best Buy, I'd avoid Cap1. They may hold a grudge considering he still owes them.

Probably made more sense in 2009 though

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 22 of 63
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

HSBC is now Capital One

Probably made more sense in 2009 though

Why Cap1 WHY!??

And they own ING Direct Bank now! WTH! I don't even like CAP1...don't you look at my signature! Lol.

Message 23 of 63
Tran92
Regular Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@Tran92 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
so today my fiance went to wells fargo to apply for a secured card and was denied. His scores are in the 570s, which is higher than mine are but i was able to get one two weeks ago. I didn't even know you could be turned down for a secured card. Did the lady that helped him just not know what she was doing or something?

Does your fiance bank with Wells Fargo? If not, then that could be the problem. I find it odd that you can get denied for a secured card as well since there is no risk to them. If you are looking for a secured card try capital one. They report to all three credit bureau and if eligible you can make a $49 deposit for a $200 limit.

lol. Zombie thread. This is from three years ago. I do hope she's figure out her card issue by now Smiley Tongue

lol i didn't even notice the date. Smiley Embarassed

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 24 of 63
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Tran92 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@Tran92 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
so today my fiance went to wells fargo to apply for a secured card and was denied. His scores are in the 570s, which is higher than mine are but i was able to get one two weeks ago. I didn't even know you could be turned down for a secured card. Did the lady that helped him just not know what she was doing or something?

Does your fiance bank with Wells Fargo? If not, then that could be the problem. I find it odd that you can get denied for a secured card as well since there is no risk to them. If you are looking for a secured card try capital one. They report to all three credit bureau and if eligible you can make a $49 deposit for a $200 limit.

lol. Zombie thread. This is from three years ago. I do hope she's figure out her card issue by now Smiley Tongue

LMFAO! I had to go back and look at the date again. Crazyy!

Message 25 of 63
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Tran92 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@Tran92 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

haha, me either, it took me until the orchard/HSBC suggestions to realize it

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 26 of 63
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Smiley LOL

@maiden_girl wrote:

@Tran92 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@Tran92 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LMFAO! I had to go back and look at the date again. Crazyy!

Message 27 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

US Bank offer's secured cards with rewards.

This is a old thread, but to anybody in this situation. Open up a checking account package with US Bank. They will give you a secured card with no AF the first year then $25 per year after that. Plus you get 1pt/$1, a sign up bonus, and even a companion ticket with the right card.

Take a look:

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/aero_mexico/usb_aeromexico_sec.cfm?ics_src=87960

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/lanpass/usb_lanpass_sec.cfm?ics_src=93602

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/distancia/usb_distancia_sec.cfm?ics_src=88477

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 28 of 63
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice, but they had to dig this one up from the archives!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 29 of 63
JustinNguyen
Contributor

If you never owned BOA credit card. They will approval you for secured credit card.My husband rebuild his credit 3 year ago with BOA , his credit that time is 520s . He put 4k for BOA secured. After 1 year in time payments and they switch to unsecured credit card with no pulled his credit and no question asked.!

Message 30 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.