cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

@Dustink wrote:

We have just been rambling on with the old thread haha.

I am not sure about any secured cards being guaranteed. If they have major current problems. Banks are afraid that the "secured" assets could be seized.

Try to get some of her credit issues tended to first, then check out the secured US Bank rewards cards that I linked a couple pages back.

Unfortately I really doubt with "HORRIBLE CREDIT" if below 580 she won't even get into a credit union, and most banks could turn her down for Secured cards as well, Oh I just remember Wells Fargo allows sub 580 credit secured cards too, they even give mortgages at that score lol (very high apr)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 51 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

We have just been rambling on with the old thread haha.

I am not sure about any secured cards being guaranteed. If they have major current problems. Banks are afraid that the "secured" assets could be seized.

Try to get some of her credit issues tended to first, then check out the secured US Bank rewards cards that I linked a couple pages back.

Unfortately I really doubt with "HORRIBLE CREDIT" if below 580 she won't even get into a credit union, and most banks could turn her down for Secured cards as well, Oh I just remember Wells Fargo allows sub 580 credit secured cards too, they even give mortgages at that score lol (very high apr)

That is why I said she should tend to a few credit issues first. Some GW letters, PFD's ect.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 52 of 63
diabla
Regular Contributor

Sorry, I should add that she just got a bank account with NFCU due to being the mother of a marine.  But her credit is still horrible and I'm going to have to work on reprogramming her to a "good credit" mindset so she doesn't mess up the NFCU account.  It's a total shift in your way of living and thinking and it doesn't happen overnight.  I spent this evening going over her credit reports and writing up a plan for her as far as deletions/pfds/gws, etc.  (Do you ever get bored working on your own credit that you start looking for other people willing to let you play with theirs? LOL)

Does NFCU have secured?  That might be one she could get for starters.  

Message 53 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@diabla wrote:

Sorry, I should add that she just got a bank account with NFCU due to being the mother of a marine.  But her credit is still horrible and I'm going to have to work on reprogramming her to a "good credit" mindset so she doesn't mess up the NFCU account.  It's a total shift in your way of living and thinking and it doesn't happen overnight.  I spent this evening going over her credit reports and writing up a plan for her as far as deletions/pfds/gws, etc.  (Do you ever get bored working on your own credit that you start looking for other people willing to let you play with theirs? LOL)

Yes, NFCU has a secured card. Although, she should correct a few credit problems before she applies for it.

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/nrewards-secured.php

I think no matter what, it is worth trying to fix some baddies first. See how committed she is before she tries to open more credit. Let her build up some savings too. Then in a few months have her app for a secured card.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 54 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

@diabla wrote:

I helped about 15 people get their scores from high 500's and low 600's to 720+ within the last year =)

Message 55 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Great long helpful post.

I just want to make a short post that reiterates never admitting fault to the debts. Be careful to not restart the SOL.

Message 56 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Great long helpful post.

I just want to make a short post that reiterates never admitting fault to the debts. Be careful to not restart the SOL.

and never talk to collections on the phone, or give ANY personal information to anyone but the CRA's. Many Collections will play dumb "we can not locate your account with the information provided, please provide your social, your address etc" they're trying to get you to fill in the blanks.

If they call you say you don't remember any debt, but send you everything in writting. Also if they call you before 8am, or after 9pm, or more than once a day, or on a weekend, during work, or calling or telling anyone they're trying to locate you to collect a debt etc. get phone statements, go to clerk of court file a small claims case for $1,000 violation for about $50 and wait for a check in the mail.

Message 57 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Great long helpful post.

and never talk to collections on the phone, or give ANY personal information to anyone but the CRA's. Many Collections will play dumb "we can not locate your account with the information provided, please provide your social, your address etc" they're trying to get you to fill in the blanks.

If they call you say you don't remember any debt, but send you everything in writting. Also if they call you before 8am, or after 9pm, or more than once a day, or on a weekend, during work, or calling or telling anyone they're trying to locate you to collect a debt etc. get phone statements, go to clerk of court file a small claims case for $1,000 violation for about $50 and wait for a check in the mail.

Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

with 19 accounts, make sure she has atleast $1,000 set aside ....

cause it certified mail gets EXPENSIVE! it adds up.

at the minimum she'll need 

6 x 19 x 3 = about $342 at the bare minimum

$6 x 19 accounts x 5 (3 cra's oc and collections) = $570 ..... minimum cause sometimes you'll need to send multiple mails.

and A LOT of Patience.

also my scores were low 400's last year =)

Message 59 of 63
luckelle
Regular Contributor

wow. So greatful distantarray. great work.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 60 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.