cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

@Walt_K wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

I think it is better than 2X membership points for supermarkets and gas purchases for  Premier Rewards Gold. I want to cancel my PR Gold but I can't. I can't get refund for my annual membership fee.

Ron.

That depends a little on how you value MR points.  If you typically redeem them for gift cards, then you are right, it is better to get the 3% with the Everyday card and way better to get the 6% with the Preferred card than it is to get 2x MR points.  But if you redeem your MR points for travel, it is a little bit more difficult to compare.  MR points are conservatively worth at least 2 cents per point.  At that value, you are better off with the PR Gold card than you are with the Everyday Cash card (although you'd need to account for difference in AF given your spend), but the Preferred Cash card would give you the best value. 

However, transfer bonuses can stretch your MR points, and if you redeem for last minute fares or premium international fares, you can get a higher value for your points.  It becomes difficult to compare here.  You might redeem ~70K MR points for transfer to BA to get 100K miles (with recent 40% transfer) and book a business or first class ticket that costs $6K or more.  You'd have to account for the fees you'd pay on the ticket and the miles you wouldn't earn by using an award ticket, but you're getting a pretty high dollar per point value on that redemption.  But if you'd never actually spend $6K on the ticket, it's not a true representation of the the value, you have to discount it somewhat against what you would have actually spent on the flight or give it some soft value based on how much you enjoy intercontinental business class service. 

Yeah, also for the PR Gold you have triple airfare along with 15k bonus at $30k spending.  Also, some items are availabe at the bonusmall site for 5X the points. 

Good point on the conversion.  Once in a while, you can find some milage specials where the MR points are quite valuable.  However, when it comes to groceries/gas/dept stores per se, this card is unbeatable, especially since it's cash.

Message 41 of 327
Open123
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

By the way, I missed it first time through, but that 3% on department stores is pretty great, too.

So I've got another fee card, even though I generally won't touch them, but with my grocery shopping patterns, I'll still come out way ahead.

6% at groceries with this card, 5% gas with PenFed Visa, 5% on airfare with PenFed AmEx, 5% on hotels and restaurants through Augsut with PenFed AE, 3% on all restaurants with Costco, 3% in Costco with an Executive Membership (I think; I'm still confused), 3% in all department stores with Blue Cash Preferred, whatever's going on with BofA and Chase Freedom this quarter, and a 0% BT from Navy.

Put a fork in me; I'm done.

I * puffy heart * rewards cards!!! Take that, Dave Ramsey. Smiley Wink

Pretty surgical there!  Wow, you're basically getting 5% rebate on every dollar you spend!

Message 42 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think it is better than Chase Freedom Plus and 3% cash back for groceries, utilities. I have to pay $30 annual fee for that.  BofA Accelerated Cash Amex offered me  5% cash back for restaurant, groceries  and gas purchases. It's only good thru June 30.

Ron.

Message 43 of 327
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Open123 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

By the way, I missed it first time through, but that 3% on department stores is pretty great, too.

So I've got another fee card, even though I generally won't touch them, but with my grocery shopping patterns, I'll still come out way ahead.

6% at groceries with this card, 5% gas with PenFed Visa, 5% on airfare with PenFed AmEx, 5% on hotels and restaurants through Augsut with PenFed AE, 3% on all restaurants with Costco, 3% in Costco with an Executive Membership (I think; I'm still confused), 3% in all department stores with Blue Cash Preferred, whatever's going on with BofA and Chase Freedom this quarter, and a 0% BT from Navy.

Put a fork in me; I'm done.

I * puffy heart * rewards cards!!! Take that, Dave Ramsey. Smiley Wink

Pretty surgical there!  Wow, you're basically getting 5% rebate on every dollar you spend!

Well, I'm trying, anyway. Smiley Very Happy

Others do really well with points cards, but somehow, they just don't seem to click with my brain. Whereas cash, now that I get.

Which reminds me, for those upgrading from an existing Blue, if you have points, you're supposed to have 30 days after converting to use them for something. I went ahead and used up 7300 of my whopping 7369 points, and it only took me an hour and a half to find something. Le Crueset Cresuet Crueset Creuset casserole dishes on their way. Smiley Tongue

edited for spelling, after 5+ years of French, dang it

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 44 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I don't have redeem all of my Blue rewards points within 30 days. and the membership rewards points is tied to my Premier Rewards Gold Card like my Zync. I think it is still good as long as I keep my PR Gold Card open.

Ron.

Message 45 of 327
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Ron1 wrote:

I don't have redeem all of my Blue rewards points within 30 days. and the membership rewards points is tied to my Premier Rewards Gold Card like my Zync. I think it is still good as long as I keep my PR Gold Card open.

Ron.

Oh, that's right. If you can tie your points to a charge card, you keep them. I'd forgotten about that!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 46 of 327
Azetab

does anyone what credit reports Amex pulls when they check you for eligibility?

Starting Score: TU:745(4/19/2011) EX:720(4/21/2011) EQ:708(8/21/2011)
Current Score: TU:728(3/5/2012) EX:682(3/12/2011) EQ:703(3/20/2012)
Goal Score: 800 on all 3 CS

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 47 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I'm not sure they pull any soft to check your eligibility of the card. They usually pull EXP when you apply for the card.

Ron.

Message 48 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just called to make sure they already converted my card and they did.  It doesn't show up online immediately. It will show up until tomorrow morning.

Ron.

Message 49 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

No, Lowe's is not department stores and it is home improvement stores like Home Depot. So it doesn't count.  Kohls, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue and Dillards are department stores.

Ron.

Message 50 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.