Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of the Same Amex?

tag
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Two of the Same Amex?

Thinking of my plans for 2020 and the main one on the table is my Platinum card. I got the Citi Prestige in October and the AF on that card is way easier for me to make up to the point where I can get paid to keep the card. On the other hand with my platinum I truly enjoy the FHR stays and have no problem with the airline and part of the Uber credit. In the event that I get rid of my Platinum I would prefer to PC it to a gold card. Problem is I already have the gold card. Is it possible to have two of the same amex (in this case the gold)? I would be able to make up the AF on the second gold as well and would only be keeping it for the account age. I would then keep it as a gold through university and most likely change back to a Platinum afterwards when my income has massivly increased. Can I have two Amex Golds at the same time?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Two of the Same Amex?

@ToxikPH wrote:

Thinking of my plans for 2020 and the main one on the table is my Platinum card. I got the Citi Prestige in October and the AF on that card is way easier for me to make up to the point where I can get paid to keep the card. On the other hand with my platinum I truly enjoy the FHR stays and have no problem with the airline and part of the Uber credit. In the event that I get rid of my Platinum I would prefer to PC it to a gold card. Problem is I already have the gold card. Is it possible to have two of the same amex (in this case the gold)? I would be able to make up the AF on the second gold as well and would only be keeping it for the account age. I would then keep it as a gold through university and most likely change back to a Platinum afterwards when my income has massivly increased. Can I have two Amex Golds at the same time?

I think you can have "two" if you cut one in 1/2Smiley Wink

Unless  I am missing something here?

You will get  better answers, I promise youSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Serious question here: how are you going to make two Gold cards work?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a tough one. I would think Amex would be ok with that, in that they'd collect 2 AFs with basically the same spend. But they might think otherwise. If no one can answer you here, you might have to call Amex. 

You can tell them, like a twix bar, you would like 2 left Amexes. Sorry, could not resist. But I would like to know the answer. 

Message 4 of 15
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I already use the airline credit on both my Gold and Platinum and the dining credit I normally use with my girlfriend so she could use the $10 credit that I'm technically spending with her anyway as the bill at SS is normally around $30. That would leave an EF of $30 a year which would be a small price to either make up or pay to keep the account age and possibility of re-upgrading.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since there's no hard limit to how mnay revolvers a person can have, I would assume you could double up on nay of them. As long as you're willing to cough up the AF on multiple products, they're most likely willing to accept it. 

Most people probably don't see the value in redundant spend, unless you're severely maxing it out on each card.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Towards the end of 2019 Amex was sending out marketing to encourage people to apply for a second business Platinum card.  

Policies for business and personal cards might be diffent but in this particular case I am guessing the polices would be the same.

Message 7 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactorrecently mentioned knowing someone with 9 Amex Gold cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 15
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Shadowfactorrecently mentioned knowing someone with 9 Amex Gold cards.

Oh my gosh, I need to know the story behind this one.

Message 9 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

I already use the airline credit on both my Gold and Platinum and the dining credit I normally use with my girlfriend so she could use the $10 credit that I'm technically spending with her anyway as the bill at SS is normally around $30. That would leave an EF of $30 a year which would be a small price to either make up or pay to keep the account age and possibility of re-upgrading.

I just don't see the point of paying another AF with limited income. Using the excuse of keeping the age of the card when you recently got it doesn't make sense to me. Close it, enjoy the up to 10+ years of the account reporting and reapply when you graduate, have a job and have the income to support the Platinum assuming it still makes sense by then

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.