Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of the same Discover card, combining CL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the same Discover card, combining CL

Hey all, I know it was possible in the past to have two of the same Discover product open at once. Is this still true? If so, I should be able to open a new IT Miles, transfer the credit limit from the old to the new, and close the old one, correct? I assume I'd need to be eligible for CLI on at least the old one and maybe both? I'm sure it's standard procedure but having two of the same card is odd to me so I want to make sure. Plus, I've never combined or transferred CL with Discover before. Thanks in advance for any input!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Re: Two of the same Discover card, combining CL

I had 2 identical Discover accounts (one account 13 years old, the other 2 years old) Decided I didn't need both and asked to move the CL from one card to the other and close.

Was told they can't do that. (this was in April) 

I tried to get a CLI shortly after and got denied. Reason was not using sufficent amout of credit. (I rarely exceed 5% of my limit)

Not sure if it is thier policy not to combine CLs or just my situation. 

Message 2 of 7
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Following, because I was actually wondering about this. I thought it was possible...unless something changed recently. 

Message 3 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Have combined limits.. Silly policy but you must have a CLI available for the card that you want to transfer to, not the donor card if you do they can combine limits otherwise your are SOL.

Message 4 of 7
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Have combined limits.. Silly policy but you must have a CLI available for the card that you want to transfer to, not the donor card if you do they can combine limits otherwise your are SOL.

Interesting 🤔

Potential Future Cards
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses! So I just gave this a shot after realizing my girlfriend is in a similar situation - she has an IT Miles well past the year bonus period that she doesn't use anymore and a regular IT. We called, they would not allow any combination and on the same call approved her for a $500 CLI on what would have been the receiving card. I'll try with another rep when I'm ready to do it myself, but it looks like combining limits may not be an option anymore.

Message 6 of 7
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the responses! So I just gave this a shot after realizing my girlfriend is in a similar situation - she has an IT Miles well past the year bonus period that she doesn't use anymore and a regular IT. We called, they would not allow any combination and on the same call approved her for a $500 CLI on what would have been the receiving card. I'll try with another rep when I'm ready to do it myself, but it looks like combining limits may not be an option anymore.

I've been told by the front line rep that it isn't possible before too.  I asked them if they could check with a supervisor because I knew that it was possible.  I was nice about it, but just said something like, I think it's not something that people do very often, but I know that you can do it as long as you have a CLI available to you.  They put me on hold, and came back and apologized and said that they would transfer me to the department that does that.  I can't recall what the name of the department was, but the front line rep couldn't do it.  

I had 2 Discover It cards, and I transferred the available credit from the old card to the new card so that the new card had a higher limit while I was using it.  Once the 2nd card's 0% interest period was up, I transferred the available credit back to the old card, then closed the newer card.  Then I opened a 3rd Discover It card a few days later. 

I plan to do the same thing when the 3rd card's 0% interest period ends.  We'll see how it goes the next time that I try.  It's always possible that they stopped allowing it, but I wouldn't take the first rep's word for it without speaking to a supervisor to be sure.  It may just be something that the rep has never done before.. not their fault for not knowing it's possible, as I imagine it's a pretty unique situation for one person to have two Discover It cards in the first place, let alone try to swap things between them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.