Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of the same credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the same credit card?

Is it possible or is anyone aware of an instance where someone had the two of same credit card product?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two of the same credit card?

Yes, many credit card companies allow you to have more than one of the same card.  Personally, I have two Cap One QS. I have seen several people with multiple BoA BBRs.  I cannot confirm all companies allow this, but many do.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two CapOne QS1 cards (for another 24 days before combining).
Message 3 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, it's somewhat common.  There are some cards that people have applied for again and again for the signup bonus or for other rewards (Bank of America Better Balance Rewards is a prime example).  It also happens when people do product changes (particularly from a card with an annual fee to one with a lower or no fee) or when lenders buy other lenders and the cards are converted (I had 4 Capital One Platinum cards due to this at one point).

Message 4 of 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Back in the golden age of churning, people would get the same card over and over again as quickly as they could meet the bonus spend. Now that banks have rules which have essentially rendered churning dead, the practice is not nearly as common. Most still don't prohibit you from having more than one of the same product, though.

That said, it's not easily justified to an issuer on a recon so you might want to save the HP for something more plausible.

Message 5 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Having two of the same card is normally of little benefit, but it really pays off when the card has a spending limit on a bonus category.  One example is Chase Freedom with its $1500 per quarter limit.  Another is Amex BCP/BCE with their $6000 per year limit on groceries.  Having two of the same card doubles your limit.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Having two of the same card is normally of little benefit, but it really pays off when the card has a spending limit on a bonus category.  One example is Chase Freedom with its $1500 per quarter limit.  Another is Amex BCP/BCE with their $6000 per year limit on groceries.  Having two of the same card doubles your limit.

Yep. Same with Discover.

Although the correct way to use Discover is to get a new one each year (they let you have max two cards at a time) so you get the double cash back all the time.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Back in the golden age of churning, people would get the same card over and over again as quickly as they could meet the bonus spend. Now that banks have rules which have essentially rendered churning dead, the practice is not nearly as common. Most still don't prohibit you from having more than one of the same product, though.

That said, it's not easily justified to an issuer on a recon so you might want to save the HP for something more plausible.

It may be more difficult and take awhile longer but churning is certsainly not dead.

Currently I have two Citi AA Platinum cards and two Amex Platinum (regular and Mercedes Benz) cards.  Of course that will change but there were valid reasons for me to have two of each of these cards at least for awhile.

Message 8 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I have three Quicksilvers. They're the result of product changes. But their roots trace back to when Capital One sent me three offers in a little under three years, and I sent them in and got the cards.

If you're going to have cards that are redundant, 1.5% rewards cards that lack redemption restrictions work out just fine.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.