FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: U.S. Bank (USB) to Stop Accepting Apps for Altitude Reserve on 11/30

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

It's possible they are doing it in preparation for Altitude Connect release.

With enough applicants, they might keep it closed for applications untill they decide to get rid of it for good. 

Do you like your AR so far?   How many 🐄 ratings would you give it? 😜  What are some of the perks that you really like about it?   Initially, I was definitely going to try for it, but then USB tightened UW rules, which is cool and whatnot, so I'm wondering if it might be a good fit given I already have Altitude GO at the moment.  Or, wait for Altitude Connect 🤔

I'll let you and @UncleB twist my arm (or anyone) as I ponder on the benefits and perhaps switch or wait.

Socks AR - rate it 9 out of 5 🐄

As for why to get it: mobile purchases making it an easy 4.5% earnings through RTR. Everything else about the card is gravy to me honestly. If I could use this for business purchases I'd run the card to the ground 😂

For the announcement I think it'll go either way on whether they'll open apps again ala USAA 2.5% card or just nerf the dang thing before re-releasing it to the public. Maybe they'll ask for first born and some goats before the application even starts

I shall freely offer firstborn, secondborn, dogs number 1 and 3. 

Goat is a deal breaker, I love goats. 

What about an ostrich?

C36E6F39-2064-4BBD-8AF4-04B9FC4F27C3.gif. Yeah I almost forgot about her little buddy 😆. Or, was it an emu?

Message 31 of 138
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

With enough applicants, they might keep it closed for applications untill they decide to get rid of it for good. 

Do you like your AR so far?   How many 🐄 ratings would you give it? 😜  What are some of the perks that you really like about it?   Initially, I was definitely going to try for it, but then USB tightened UW rules, which is cool and whatnot, so I'm wondering if it might be a good fit given I already have Altitude GO at the moment.  Or, wait for Altitude Connect 🤔

I'll let you and @UncleB twist my arm (or anyone) as I ponder on the benefits and perhaps switch or wait.

As for why to get it: mobile purchases making it an easy 4.5% earnings through RTR. Everything else about the card is gravy to me honestly. If I could use this for business purchases I'd run the card to the ground 😂

For the announcement I think it'll go either way on whether they'll open apps again ala USAA 2.5% card or just nerf the dang thing before re-releasing it to the public. Maybe they'll ask for first born and some goats before the application even starts

What about an ostrich?

Not since you people told me ostrich isn't ostrich. 

Message 32 of 138
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

What about an ostrich?

C36E6F39-2064-4BBD-8AF4-04B9FC4F27C3.gif. Yeah I almost forgot about her little buddy 😆. Or, was it an emu?

Imagine finding out on credit card forum that ostrich is actually an emu.

Then they told me ostriches do not live in Australia. My whole life has been a lie. 

Message 33 of 138
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

What about an ostrich?

Imagine finding out on credit card forum that ostrich is actually an emu.

Then they told me ostriches do not live in Australia. My whole life has been a lie. 

That day was all very emusing

....I'll see myself out 😐

Message 34 of 138
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

And lawd, I thought previous design looked like a business card for a funeral home. 

That one looks like flipped Quicksilver 

If that is the new design, IMHO it's definitely a step (or ten) backwards. Smiley Frustrated

I'm possibly in the minority group who actually thinks the current design is OK - not fantastic - but fine, especially considering it almost never leaves my wallet anyway.  I actually prefer the Quicksilver over the possible new AR design, but if it changes I'll manage.

As long as the rewards stay the same they can make it look like whatever they want, but something tells me nerfs are on the horizon.

Message 35 of 138
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

In its current state, it's almost the perfect card for me.  If I didn't try to maximize all the time I could easily just use the AR for everything and do OK, but that's considering the 3x rewards on mobile wallet purchases and the 1.5x multiplier on RTR travel redemptions.

If either of those go away I'm not sure what I'll do.  Depending on what is nerfed (if anything) it might make sense to PC my Altitude Reserve to the Altitude Connect, but I'll have to see how things unfold.  I'm really hoping that if any nerf(s) take place those of us already with the product will be grandfathered, at least for a while.

Message 36 of 138
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I don't want to humble brag (of course I do), but for me, it's been a cash 🐄

I was able to pay just about everything via mobile wallet, including tution for two kids who don't deserve me (village of the damned here), and property taxes twice. 

I don't even think about it as a travel card since AF is completely absorbed by travel credit and wifi passes. 

I'm certain you don't need a travel card, but it really works as cashback card given enough spend can be ran though your iPay thingy. 

I don't go out much now, so I don't use it as much. 

As far as doing PC...that SUB 😢

You already have everything AR has to offer on other cards (excluding RTR) so

I'd wait for Altitude Connect, grab the SUB, skip larger AF. 

I've been in credit purgatory for 11 months waiting for  Connect. 

I cant wait for that denial thread 😐

I really can't add anything to the above... she's spot-on. Smiley Very Happy  👆

Last December I redeemed my AR points for a purchase that was just under $1k, and I'm on schedule to redeem in January for a purchase that will probably be just over $1k, which isn't too shabby considering the card has a $75 (effective) annual fee.  The current rewards setup is definitely working for my current spending pattern, which includes a lot of mobile wallet payments.

Message 37 of 138
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@randomguy1 wrote:

What's the application process like? Manual review typically? How long does it take to approve? How fast do you get the card if approved?

Just wondering of course. 

I know manual review is often off-putting (it is for me as well) but with US Bank it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Both my Cash+ and AR went to manual review, and both were approved a few days later with no intervention from me.  Additionally, in both cases I received credit lines that were more generous than what I was hoping for (and I believe more than the automation would have given me).

Message 38 of 138
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Very flexible. Almost like the CSR travel credit as far as ease of use. Here are some examples here. Also, Socks Bank is allowing it to be used for dinning purposes and the benefit has been extended to middle of next year which is good news

Interesting perspective as I would have answered differently!   When I wasn't travelling, I could still use actual travel benefits on the CSR: parking and tolls.   The AR doesn't (AFAIK) cover those, so I was glad when they added dining this quarter!

Message 39 of 138
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Remedios I honestly just thought, **bleep**, I was just approved for the USB Altitude GO. Would they use the same HP and approve me for this, too lol. I really rarely use Apple Pay and already have the AMEX Trifecta: CS Platinum, Gold, BBP, Amazon Business Prime, and I don't really need it!

Obviously, it depends on your merchants, but if you have the card, you might suddenly find a new love for mobile pay (I do Samsung)!    I've used it for car servicing, dentists, vets etc, getting 4.5% for travel, and I didn't have cards that came close to this for all these possible places.

Message 40 of 138
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.