Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank product change question. . .

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

U.S. Bank product change question. . .

Would I be able to apply for a U.S. Bank Platinum Visa then after approval product change to a Cash + ?

-If so how long would I have to wait?

-Would it be a hard pull for the product change?

-Has anyone done this recently?

The reason I ask is because I want the Cash + card even though it has been nerfed and the closest U.S. Bank is a five hour drive from where I live so I'd like to figure out a way to "apply" for it without traveling to a branch.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: U.S. Bank product change question. . .

@7PM789 wrote:
Would I be able to apply for a U.S. Bank Platinum Visa then after approval product change to a Cash + ?

-If so how long would I have to wait?

-Would it be a hard pull for the product change?

-Has anyone done this recently?

The reason I ask is because I want the Cash + card even though it has been nerfed and the closest U.S. Bank is a five hour drive from where I live so I'd like to figure out a way to "apply" for it without traveling to a branch.

If you do not have a US Bank branch nearby, then this is the "backdoor" method (which is even suggested by their own bankers).  AFAIK, if approved, the minimum limit criteria is $5K for consideration to the Cash+ PC.  The account would need to be open for a minimum of 3-6 months -- give or take (this varies though), but you can always check in the event their policies have changed once you get ready for the PC.  No HP for PC, unless you request a CLI to get you to the $5K CL.

Message 2 of 4
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone here been successful using this strategy to get this card?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 3 of 4
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

In mid July 2013 I converted a US Bank Platinum card that had just turned 6 months old into a Cash+ over the phone. My original credit limit was $8,500 so that wasn't an issue.

2 weeks later I converted a Cash Rewards card that turned 4 months old (the result of trying to apply for a Cash+ in person with a US Bank personal banker) into a second Cash+ card over the phone. That card's original limit was $6,500

SO, it can be done over the phone. Twice. I merely called the number on the back of the card, and when I got to a real person merely said I wanted to know if this card is eligible to be converted to a Cash+ card. In each case the answer was a quick yes.

The only Problem I've had, is I can't get them to give me a CLI on the first card. Its been 6 months. I even tried to recon it and allowed a HP, but it was still denied. They've given me $15K combined between the two cards in just 6 months, plus converted both to Cash+, so I really have no cause for complaint at this point! It just would have been nice to have my first $10k limit. Actually, the two Cash+ cards are my highest limit cards.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.