cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank sent FlexPerks instead of Cash+, now what?

tag
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: U.S. Bank sent FlexPerks instead of Cash+, now what?

You had me worried about my new Cash+ card I just opened on Black Friday. Like you I have no branches near me. I live in Georgia and the closest one is a couple hours away. I applied for mine in a branch while on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN since I could not get a US Bank representative to do an app over the phone. The banker at the branch said I was approved with an $8,000 credit limit and thought nothing of it until I saw this post. I immediately logged into my US Bank account to verify. As it turns out I did indeed get the Cash+ as it let's me choose my categories. Maybe I got lucky in that I didn't find someone willing to do an app over the phone!

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 11 of 18
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

I spoke with customer service at U.S. Bank, and they told me that since I lived outside their coverage area for the Cash+ card (I live in NYC where their nearest branch is Ohio), they automatically sent me the only card they offer "coast-to-coast", which is their FlexPerks Travel Rewards card.

This is pretty ridiculous, as they could have told me this at the point of applying for the credit card, and now I have a hard pull and an open account on my credit report for no reason. It's also ridiculous that they think they can send me a travel rewards card with an annual fee "in place" of the no-fee Cash+ card.

The customer service person said that they could close the account immediately with a note that "customer never applied for card" (because I didn't, I applied for the Cash+), but there's no guarantee that that would remove the account from my credit report.

I may need to file a dispute if the account persists on my credit report; it's not fair that a card I never applied for would be opened without my knowledge.

I can't stress how ridiculous this is.

That does not sound right the Perks + card is offered "coast to coast" and has NO annual fee...lame card but NO AF....they really seem to know what is going on at their own bank LOL

Message 12 of 18
wiivile
New Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

You had me worried about my new Cash+ card I just opened on Black Friday. Like you I have no branches near me. I live in Georgia and the closest one is a couple hours away. I applied for mine in a branch while on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN since I could not get a US Bank representative to do an app over the phone. The banker at the branch said I was approved with an $8,000 credit limit and thought nothing of it until I saw this post. I immediately logged into my US Bank account to verify. As it turns out I did indeed get the Cash+ as it let's me choose my categories. Maybe I got lucky in that I didn't find someone willing to do an app over the phone!

I think the difference is that you have a branch in your "region". You still have a branch in your "region" (South/Southeast), whereas in NYC there's nothing anywhere in the Northeast. Nearest one is Ohio.

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 13 of 18
MrFlower
New Contributor

I would try an esculate this above a loney phone rep.

I couldn't find any EO contacts, sorry.

I'm not sure aboutt their twitter but usually they are a step above phone reps for alot of companies... As such you could try them:

https://twitter.com/askusbank

Message 14 of 18
rlx01
Established Contributor

I don't even know how they can issue a card with the incorrect last name and be in compliance with the PATRIOT Act.

You can definitely get them to remove the TL and possibly the HP from your report. People have had success getting Discover to remove both when they pull the bait-and-switch on offer terms, which is borderline illegal since it's not in their T&C.

Message 15 of 18
wiivile
New Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

I don't even know how they can issue a card with the incorrect last name and be in compliance with the PATRIOT Act.

You can definitely get them to remove the TL and possibly the HP from your report. People have had success getting Discover to remove both when they pull the bait-and-switch on offer terms, which is borderline illegal since it's not in their T&C.

Bait-and-switch is a really good word for it. I'm pretty angry. I filed a complaint with the CFPB. Hopefully since the account was closed so quickly and without being activated, U.S. Bank won't have reported the TL and the incorrect name to the bureaus. Not so concerned about the hard pull...

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to your message center for a PM. "wiivile"

Message 17 of 18
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Bait-and-switch is a really good word for it. I'm pretty angry. I filed a complaint with the CFPB. Hopefully since the account was closed so quickly and without being activated, U.S. Bank won't have reported the TL and the incorrect name to the bureaus. Not so concerned about the hard pull...

Sorry to dissapoint you but your name has already been reported wrong when they pulled your CR.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.