Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UBS New VISA - AMEX gone

tag
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

UBS New VISA - AMEX gone

Hi All. Does anybody here have a UBS resource management account? Here's the problem. Till now, UBS had both a visa cc and an AMEX deferred debit card linked to my account. I have received noticed they are doing away with the AMEX affiliation and now offer a new VISA deferred debit (which isn't eligible for reward points) or a new VISA and VISA preferred credit card which are eligible for reward points. If I don't take the cc option, then my current points have to be redeemed by Jan. If I take the new credit card option, then my current points will transfer. Problem is I have 6 different personal, trust, and business accounts along with almost a million points. If I apply for the new credit card option for all the accounts, are they going to pull my credit 6 times??? One of the main reasons I used UBS way back when was specidfically for the cash management account with the linked AMEX and reward points. Now I feel like I'm gonna either have to redeem the current points in each account or make application and have all those pulls on my cr. I asked my financial advisor, and he didn't know if hey would do one pull for all those cc accounts or one for each as this new VISA credit card program is too new. Anybody on this forum in his situation or have any additional info about the UBS card program?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: UBS New VISA - AMEX gone

Don't understand your question.

1.  Are the rewards points Amex Membership Rewards points or some other type of reward points?  Sounds like you are talking about some other type of point because you mention transferring to a Visa, but not sure.  Can you clarify what the rewards network is?  Does it transfer to FF programs and hotel programs, something like Ultimate Rewards from Chase?  Is it straight cash back? 

2.  Have you asked UBS whether you can transfer the points associated with each of your accounts into the same Visa account.  I'm not understanding why you would need to open six different Visas for each separate account.  Seems like they should be able to transfer all of your accounts into one linked account.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

UBS has their own reward point program. The AMEX associated with each account is a deferred debit card with the Amex logo. Not an actual Amex card but an Amex network card. I have 6 accounts because one is personal, one is a trust account, and 4 are business accounts. I need a card to access each one like any cash management or checking account. Can't really consolidate bc they are different businesses. But they will pull personal cr for the new visa. They have 2 options, one is a deferred debit visa and the other is the credit card visa. Both are linked to the cash management account. Of I go with the debit versions, there is no pull on my cr but then I loose the rewards program. If I go with e credit card version, I keep the points but they may do 6 pulls on my cr. That is e dilemma and why I was hoping someone else on this board knew. Thanks
Message 3 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

What can the points be redeemed for?  Are they transferrable into FF or hotel rewards programs?  I'm assuming the answer must be yes, because if they were just cash back or gift cards, I don't see why you wouldn't just redeem them.  What is the value of holding them in the rewards program.

Have you actually spoken to UBS about consolidating your points?

I don't know.  Seems like you have to weigh the benefits of leaving the points in the rewards program where they potentially have some flexibility with redeeming them now.  Probably not an all or nothing.  You could redeem on say 3 accounts and apply for cards on 3 accounts.  Are the points spread evenly?  Do most lie in one large account where maybe it makes sense to apply for the card there and retain flexibility while redeeming from the other accounts?  Lots of factors to consider.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 4 of 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I've had a similar type of account with Citi SB before.  I dont understand how they could change this type of account to a credit card account.  Or are they just putting the Visa logo on it instead of Amex as opposed to nothing (basically to be used for cash withdrawals).  In that case, I wouldn't imagine that they would do a ccredit check at all.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 5 of 9
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

It is a reward program very similar to membership rewards, just run through UBS. If I don't do the new visa credit cards en I have to redeem the points or I will loose them. I have over a million!! Since I don't have any travel plans before the end of the year z(except one which is already paid for) the I will redeem for gift cards I guess so I can spend at my leisure. If I do sign for the new cc I am afraid of all the pulls and accounts showing, which I wouldn't have otherwise needed. I'm so angry as I initially went wih UBS bc of their card program. Guess I'm gonna call MERRIL lynch!! Lol
Message 6 of 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

maybe you can provide a link?

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 7 of 9
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor
Message 8 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@flyingmd wrote:
It is a reward program very similar to membership rewards, just run through UBS. If I don't do the new visa credit cards en I have to redeem the points or I will loose them. I have over a million!! Since I don't have any travel plans before the end of the year z(except one which is already paid for) the I will redeem for gift cards I guess so I can spend at my leisure. If I do sign for the new cc I am afraid of all the pulls and accounts showing, which I wouldn't have otherwise needed. I'm so angry as I initially went wih UBS bc of their card program. Guess I'm gonna call MERRIL lynch!! Lol

I can't seem to determine how similar it is to MR.   But if it is similar in the sense that you can transfer to certain airline miles, I would suggest you do that.  It doesn't matter if you have any travel before the end of the year, the points won't expire in most FF programs for quite some time.  And even when the expiration date approaches, it is very easy to keep the points active by generating even a little activity in the account.

By transferring to a FF program, you do risk devaluation of the points if the program devalues miles, but I would bet you'd still get a better return versus redeeming for gift cards. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.