Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCCU - Utah Community Credit Union - 4% cb travel - no cap

tag
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

UCCU - Utah Community Credit Union - 4% cb travel - no cap

I was looking for a travel cash back (not points) card to suit my RV lifestyle for a while now and came across lots of 2% and 3% cards, but this 4% travel category with no cap peeked my interest.

Does anyone have more data points on the following (I'll be Apping in June)?

UCCU - Utah Community Credit Union

Offer page: https://www.uccu.com/loans/personal/visa-credit-cards/cash-rewards-visa/

4% travel

3% gas

2% groceries 

1% everything else

APR = Annual percentage rate. Variable APR ranges from 12.75% to 18.00% APR.  Financing is subject to UCCU membership and underwriting criteria, not every applicant will qualify. 1% foreign transaction fee. Federally insured by NCUA.

I spoke with a representative on the phone who confirmed the following;

Only a $5 minimum deposit into a shared savings account with no monthly fee to qualify to apply for card.

It's a hp for the card and you can app for the savings and card at the same time. (No time limit required from account opening to apping for card) 

Campgrounds and rv parks that code as travel lodging qualify for the 4%.

I asked if a fico8 730+ would qualify and she said yes, but it also depends on other factors in one's file.

Does anyone already have this card?

I forgot to ask if they were geo fenced. Their qualifications page did not mention any restrictions other than having an account in good standing.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Re: UCCU - Utah Community Credit Union - 4% cb travel - no cap

Just found this thread which appears to reference geofenced to 11 Utah counties: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/UCCU-4-3-2-1-Cash-Rewards-Visa-credit-card/m-p/6268869

That's unfortunate for me, unless they allow a residential or business physical ups address.  Guess I'll need to research that too.

Message 2 of 8
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Update: there is no mention of geo fencing or restrictions to being a Utah resident in the terms of use. It even mention California laws in their legal section, which indicates its not isolated to Utah residents: https://go.uccu.com/section/account-openingSmiley Tongueersonal%20Information/task/BORROWER/e08b4207-e869-4da2-90...

Update: the about us page lists the restriction to utah: https://www.uccu.com/about-us/

However, the loophole appears to be: A business (or association, trust, etc.) that is located (or regularly conducts business) in an approved county (see map).

Message 3 of 8
batsy71
Regular Contributor

I don't know how badly you want this. But you can try this.

Membership in a chamber of commerce in the area might qualify. The cheapest chamber of commerce in the area of elegibility I found was Nephi Chamber of Commerce for 50$ : https://www.nephichamber.org/join-us

You can call the credit union and ask them that you live out of state but are a member of Nephi Chamber of Commerce and if that qualifies for membership. If they say yes, then join the Chamber and apply in a few days/weeks. Some chambers of commerce restrict membership to local residents but most of them welcome memberships.

This is assuming you want it bad enough to spend 50$ to join the CU.

Message 4 of 8
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I can't seem to find a complete lists of what 'Travel' includes.  Just curious.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

I was looking for a travel cash back (not points) card to suit my RV lifestyle for a while now and came across lots of 2% and 3% cards, but this 4% travel category with no cap peeked my interest.

Does anyone have more data points on the following (I'll be Apping in June)?

UCCU - Utah Community Credit Union

Offer page: https://www.uccu.com/loans/personal/visa-credit-cards/cash-rewards-visa/

4% travel

3% gas

2% groceries 

1% everything else

APR = Annual percentage rate. Variable APR ranges from 12.75% to 18.00% APR.  Financing is subject to UCCU membership and underwriting criteria, not every applicant will qualify. 1% foreign transaction fee. Federally insured by NCUA.

I spoke with a representative on the phone who confirmed the following;

Only a $5 minimum deposit into a shared savings account with no monthly fee to qualify to apply for card.

It's a hp for the card and you can app for the savings and card at the same time. (No time limit required from account opening to apping for card) 

Campgrounds and rv parks that code as travel lodging qualify for the 4%.

I asked if a fico8 730+ would qualify and she said yes, but it also depends on other factors in one's file.

Does anyone already have this card?

I forgot to ask if they were geo fenced. Their qualifications page did not mention any restrictions other than having an account in good standing.

Thoughts?

Yes it's highly geo-fenced.

https://www.uccu.com/about-us/

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 8
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

I shot them another text asking if joining their local chamber of commerce would qualify me and they never replied... so I guess that may be a dead end. I may still call Monday just to be sure the text wasn't lost in a shuffle.

Alternatively, I may be able to file for an assumed name and open a DBA locally there to qualify on the business side of it within their geofence. 

Message 7 of 8
batsy71
Regular Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

I shot them another text asking if joining their local chamber of commerce would qualify me and they never replied... so I guess that may be a dead end. 

In my observation, many credit unions would hesitate to reply such questions in a written form (email replies, text replies etc) because the customer on the other side can take screenshot/receipt of that conversation and paste it in an open forum where other hoards of customers pick it up and rush to the CU for membership. In such circumstances the CU is in a soup as they have to keep their word as exposed by the first poster.

Such conversations are best had in the phone where the customer rep can verbally discuss it with you with slightly more discretion. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.