cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UGH, Plat fraud! Kudo's to Navy fraud Dept!!

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: UGH, Plat fraud! Kudo's to Navy fraud Dept!!

Might explain why Navy be handing out so many huge linesSmiley Wink. Robin Hood da Hacker is freeing the people.Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 38
CCrew
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I hate to break it, but having a Mac makes you no less subseptible to credit card fruad. It's usually web based anyway, we click something we shouldn't have. People believing Macs OS is imune to security threats to me is trubling. Its a supply and demand issue not a security one, more PC users just meens more people to exploit.

As an Information Security professional, This. People with Macs thinking they're bulletproof  is pretty laughable. 

Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is good stuff! Happy they caught it. Now I gotta go checking all my accounts!
Message 13 of 38
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

I’m not quite sure why checking accounts multiple times daily is necessary when NFCU allows you to freeze your card. 

Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mazda3

Navy advised me if the hackers use a subscription service ...even freezing won't stop it. Not sure why though?
Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@mazda3

Navy advised me if the hackers use a subscription service ...even freezing won't stop it. Not sure why though?

Because recurring charges are allowed to continue while a card is frozen. The freeze feature is meant for when you temporarily misplace your card to prevent further purchases but recurring billing you already did on your own. 

One thing to note though is that a new subscription service technically shouldn’t be allowed while a card is frozen although I’ve never tested it. I doubt they have whitelisted merchant lists though so it’s probably all subscriptions allowed while frozen. Maybe someone can test, I don’t have any subscriptions. 

Sorry to hear pizza but glad that Navy was on top of it for you! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 38
Flex1
Regular Contributor

@MAZDA3 wrote:

I’m not quite sure why checking accounts multiple times daily is necessary when NFCU allows you to freeze your card. 

I agree. I keep my card frozen and then unfreeze when using. Then immediately freeze it again. Navy Fed is awesome!

Message 17 of 38
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@mazda3

OP stated they’ve never used Netflix, so this isn’t an issue of having had a subscription auto-billed to this card before. I don’t leave idle cards unlocked or unfrozen, and I typically only app with issuers that allow one to freeze their cards manually. I currently have two exceptions to that rule for the SUB, but those cards will be closed at one year anyhow.

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious here, but to the OP...do you have or use and crdit id monitoring services? If so, did they catch it and inform you or no? If they did, what was the time difference between NFCU and the other service informing you?

Im just trying to find out if an id monitoring service is worth the expense, such as the one from USAA.

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious here, but to the OP...do you have or use and crdit id monitoring services? If so, did they catch it and inform you or no? If they did, what was the time difference between NFCU and the other service informing you?

Im just trying to find out if an id monitoring service is worth the expense, such as the one from USAA.

Credit monitoring and ID monitoring dont apply to credit cards or other accounts you have, it’s only for new products, breaches, and protections in the form of ID theft insurance and such. 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.