cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UGH, Plat fraud! Kudo's to Navy fraud Dept!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UGH, Plat fraud! Kudo's to Navy fraud Dept!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit monitoring and ID monitoring dont apply to credit cards or other accounts you have, it’s only for new products, breaches, and protections in the form of ID theft insurance and such. 

Really?  Experian's IDnotify will track any credit/debit cards and bank accounts you want monitored.  It tracts activity on the dark web.  

My defense against fraud is as follows:

1) Everything tied into one interface so I can notice any strange activity (personal capital, also useful for all financial tracking)

2) set up text alerts on all cards 

3) Use a password manager app to secure passwords (like dashlane)

4) idenity theft monitoring through a service like Experian's

5) review credit reports bi-annually

Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, i may have been misreading the product services features.  I was under the impression that those services protected you against fraudelent charges.

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm, i may have been misreading the product services features.  I was under the impression that those services protected you against fraudelent charges.

Your credit card company protects you against fraudulent charges.  This is one of the huge benefits of using a credit card.

Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has never dawned on my until this post and i started reading about it. I suppose something so simple gets overlooked without paying attention.  I do have my cards set to notify me of any charges, but i did that just so i can monitor when my AUs (both my teenagers) use the cards.  I guess i should go set all of them up for notifications if i can.  I would think that NFCU wouldnt flag somthing so trivial as a netflix charge tho, they have never notified me of new subscription charges like my new pandora and spotify  accts.

Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit monitoring and ID monitoring dont apply to credit cards or other accounts you have, it’s only for new products, breaches, and protections in the form of ID theft insurance and such. 

Really?  Experian's IDnotify will track any credit/debit cards and bank accounts you want monitored.  It tracts activity on the dark web.  

My defense against fraud is as follows:

1) Everything tied into one interface so I can notice any strange activity (personal capital, also useful for all financial tracking)

2) set up text alerts on all cards 

3) Use a password manager app to secure passwords (like dashlane)

4) idenity theft monitoring through a service like Experian's

5) review credit reports bi-annually

I know they’ll monitor the dark web if you put your cards in there, in fact I still get emails every time I try a new service because of all the breaches attached just to my email address, but most fraud doesn’t seem to originate from the dark web so I still wouldn’t put all my trust there 

I have the text alerts on for every card that I have that has them and I monitor my credit reports like a hawk (and also have them all frozen). 

Message 25 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MAZDA3 wrote:

I’m not quite sure why checking accounts multiple times daily is necessary when NFCU allows you to freeze your card. 

Its not necessary, and has nothing to do with freezing or locking my card,  its a personal preference of mine.  I dont do that every time, but I do check my accounts daily, again, as a personal preference. 

Message 26 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CCrew wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I hate to break it, but having a Mac makes you no less subseptible to credit card fruad. It's usually web based anyway, we click something we shouldn't have. People believing Macs OS is imune to security threats to me is trubling. Its a supply and demand issue not a security one, more PC users just meens more people to exploit.

As an Information Security professional, This. People with Macs thinking they're bulletproof  is pretty laughable. 

@Anonymous@CCrew, Im not here to debate the issue of Mac vs virsuses, and thats pretty irrelevant, as I know they can get them just as easily as any other PC/brand.

Message 27 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious here, but to the OP...do you have or use and crdit id monitoring services? If so, did they catch it and inform you or no? If they did, what was the time difference between NFCU and the other service informing you?

Im just trying to find out if an id monitoring service is worth the expense, such as the one from USAA.

@Anonymous, No, I dont subscribe to any monitoring service at all. 

Message 28 of 38
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@CCrew wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I hate to break it, but having a Mac makes you no less subseptible to credit card fruad. It's usually web based anyway, we click something we shouldn't have. People believing Macs OS is imune to security threats to me is trubling. Its a supply and demand issue not a security one, more PC users just meens more people to exploit.

As an Information Security professional, This. People with Macs thinking they're bulletproof  is pretty laughable. 

@Anonymous@CCrew, Im not here to debate the issue of Mac vs virsuses, and thats pretty irrelevant, as I know they can get them just as easily as any other PC/brand.

You did bring up your “solid” MAC firewall, and it’s safe to assume MyFico has members who are experts in the field of cyber-security, so you seemed to think your MAC firewall was relevent. I don’t think the poster was trying to argue with you, but simply pointing out that MACs aren’t infallible. 

And a freeze on the card would have blocked the charge regardless, negating the need to be OCD.

Why so defensive?

Message 29 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

@CCrew wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

20190118_221943.gif

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.