Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UMB Simply Rewards card

tag
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

UMB Simply Rewards card

Hey everyone, sorry of this has already been discussed, but I didn't see anything on it.

I came across this card from UMB Bank that looked interesting; especially as an alternative to the late Sallie Mae. It is 3x points on Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Discount Stores, and Restaurants and Fast Food.

The Discount Store code in my area is pretty broad and covers Target, Ross, Walmart, Kmart, TX Max, and dollar stores.

Not sure if you have to live in their service area or what the value of each point is for a statement credit, but it looks like you can at least redeem towards gift cards at 1 cent per point.

https://www.umb.com/Personal/Banking/CreditCards/UMBVisaPlatinum/index.htm
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: UMB Simply Rewards card

Seems like you have to be within their service area (Source: https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/umb-simply-rewards-credit-card-a-surprisingly-solid-product/).

Message 2 of 36
uswala
Senior Contributor

@uswala wrote:

Seems like you have to be within their service area (Source: https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/umb-simply-rewards-credit-card-a-surprisingly-solid-product/).

I called them up and they said I can't apply because they do have branches in Texas.

Message 3 of 36
ddemari
Super Contributor

From what I have read before, UMB bank seems to be a pretty strict under-writing bank. I clicked on that link and it brought me right to the application, how do you know if you are not in their servicing area? I am also not sure who they pull. 

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

Link not working for me, but this one does.  Not sure what the difference is...

In their rewards program terms, it looks there are no caps on bonus categories, but the points do expire in 5 years. More of an annoyance than a dealbreaker.

I took a look at the rewards; looks like you must redeem in amounts of $20, $50, or $100 increments, so similar to Amex with their inflexible redemption schedule.  Even worse, statement credits can take up to 45 days to post.  Points do appear to be 1:1 for statement credit though so that's good.

Message 5 of 36
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about the link everyone.

It's a bummer that it is restricted to service areas. It looks like they have branches in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas (one in Fort Worth and one in Dallas, but they look like commercial banking branches.)

Edits to correct auto correct typos 

Message 6 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@uswala wrote:

Link not working for me, but this one does.  Not sure what the difference is...

In their rewards program terms, it looks there are no caps on bonus categories, but the points do expire in 5 years. More of an annoyance than a dealbreaker.

I took a look at the rewards; looks like you must redeem in amounts of $20, $50, or $100 increments, so similar to Amex with their inflexible redemption schedule.  Even worse, statement credits can take up to 45 days to post.  Points do appear to be 1:1 for statement credit though so that's good.

Not sure that 45 days to post statement credit would be a real issue.   From what I remember, most issuers give very long timelines (like two billing cycles) but actually do it much quicker.

5 years expiration is longer than some of the expiring cards (and if you can't get to $20 in 5 years, well, card isn't that useful to you anyway!)

So I think the real drawback is just having to be in the service area. 

Message 7 of 36
ddemari
Super Contributor

I decided to be the GP for this app, after I hit submit less tha one second went by and I got this message

Thank you for your application.

Please allow two weeks for the processing of your application.

If you have questions, please contact our customer service center at 800.821.5184.

They pulled TU. 

Message 8 of 36
uswala
Senior Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

I decided to be the GP for this app, after I hit submit less tha one second went by and I got this message

Thank you for your application.

Please allow two weeks for the processing of your application.

If you have questions, please contact our customer service center at 800.821.5184.

They pulled TU. 

Are you located within their fooitprints?

Message 9 of 36
ddemari
Super Contributor

Yes I am in Illinois. 

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.