Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNFCU contactless cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UNFCU contactless cards

https://www.unfcu.org/news-announcements/contactless-cards/

Any thoughts on whether their new cards are now signature-preferring (vs. the PIN preference of the non-contactless cards)? The website doesn't seem to be too clear on this and I'm not sure I want to request a replacement CC early if it means I'll get a chip and signature card. OTOH, since a lot of the rest of the world is going away from PIN for smaller purchases (if not altogether) by tapping cards/phones, maybe it won't matter.

In the meantime, I did request a replacement debit card so I'll see if those at least still prefer PIN when used internationally and at stores that can't run debit cards as debit.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: UNFCU contactless cards

I received the contactless versions for all 3 UNFCU CCs...Sadly, the UNA-USA card was just recently retired from their line up and is no longer available.

I believe I was issued a contactless debit card sometime ago, but I can't recall at the moment. I typically use Samsung Pay and I haven't tested the contactless feature yet. In the past, without using a mobile device, it used to prompt for PIN for 90% of my transactions.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
I received the contactless versions for all 3 UNFCU CCs...Sadly, the UNA-USA card was just recently retired from their line up and is no longer available.

I believe I was issued a contactless debit card sometime ago, but I can't recall at the moment. I typically use Samsung Pay and I haven't tested the contactless feature yet. In the past, without using a mobile device, it used to prompt for PIN for 90% of my transactions.

To clarify, when you insert a contactless UNFCU CC, you're still asked for the PIN? Or was this for the non-contactless version?

Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The PIN prompts were with the non-contactless versions. Have not tried it yet with the recent [contactless] replacements.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
The PIN prompts were with the non-contactless versions. Have not tried it yet with the recent [contactless] replacements.

Ah okay, that's what I've seen as well with mine. Please update when you do end up inserting them (or if I end up getting my replacement debit card before then, I can at least read the chip and its contactless with my laptop and see what it says). I think I'd feel more comfortable asking for a replacement CC if the contactless side of the debit card also appears to prefer PIN for larger purchases.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.