Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Gardening...but apply for DCU?

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

UPDATE: Gardening...but apply for DCU?

I had intended to be gardening after a successful app spree - BCP 11k, CSP 5k, Freedom 6k, Slate 6k, Discover It 5.5k. But I'm very tempted to sign up for the DCU membership for the free monthly fico score. I wanted to let my Inq's from my recent spree age off together so I wonder if I should try for the DCU membership now? Or wait until some of my new TLs report? I have no baddies on any of my reports (afaik on EX, TU) but my util was at 30% prior to the new TLs. The new TLs would bring it down to under 10%. Should I wait or go for it now? I have no interest in getting a DCU cc since I know that they will do a separate HP from the membership and really, I have enough CC to manage for now.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Gardening...but apply for DCU?

Oh boy! I feel like I put that idea in your head last night! 😁 Do you truly feel that if you have the membership you won't then pull the trigger for a cc?
Message 2 of 23
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie don't worry! I had been thinking just about the membership also. I can honestly say that I won't be tempted for the CC. I have more than enough cards that I want to work on growing. 😄

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 3 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you want the DCU membership, I'm a firm believer in clustering HP's and letting them age together; especially when it comes to a CU membership post-App Spree, why take the inquiry and damage (minor) your credit report later, when you can do it now and let time work for you in the FICO model?

In your spot, I'd actually take it now, the FICO score is a nice little benefit, and it's not a terrible credit union to have anyway... and virtually everyone should have access to a credit union (or two) in addition to their usual banks in my estimation. 

Occasionally get a sweetheart loan that you wouldn't have gotten elsewhere.  Just sayin Smiley Wink.

        
Message 5 of 23
parakleet
Valued Contributor

UPDATE: Re: Gardening...but apply for DCU?

Okay, I pulled the trigger! I guess this means I'm in! Just for the free checking and savings though. I got a pre-approval notice for an auto loan (25k) and CC (5k) but I didn't bite! Kinda disappointed that I was only pre-approved for 5k on the CC. Hehe. Now I'm just being greedy. Smiley Wink

So I guess that means I left the garden...but more like I stepped a foot out for a moment, no?Smiley Tongue

@Revelate That was exactly my thinking too. It's only been a week or two since my app spree and I really wanted to let all the inq's age together rather than take another hit a few months from now. 

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 6 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: UPDATE: Re: Gardening...but apply for DCU?

Welcome to DCU! Enjoy your new EQ score next month. Since you didn't apply for credit i don't think you left the garden.

Am I right or wrong?
Message 7 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

Congrats, I just joined DCU as well, I hope you took the offer for the credit card since it was offered with one pull, the card will grow over time!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 23
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@tray wrote:

Congrats, I just joined DCU as well, I hope you took the offer for the credit card since it was offered with one pull, the card will grow over time!!!!

Thanks! I didn't take the cc offer. I'm trying to limit my TL at the moment and I really just wanted the free fico score. Also, I thought it would be an extra HP for the CC so that's why I refrained. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 9 of 23
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to DCU! Enjoy your new EQ score next month. Since you didn't apply for credit i don't think you left the garden.

Am I right or wrong?

I hope you're right! I wanted to be disciplined....but that free fico score was just too tempting. And since I didn't apply for any credit, I don't feel quite as bad. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.