Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE-RE-OPENED Chase Freedom-Thanks-But No Thanks

tag
eviLution
Established Contributor

Re: Adios Chase Freedom-Thanks-But No Thanks

I waited until I got 18 months of credit history to get the Chase Freedom and I was approved for $2500. I held a balance of 2k for 3 months and got an Auto-CLI to $5000. They're not so bad if you have patience.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 11 of 56
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@VirtualCuriostiy: It might have grown, but I probably would have had to keep taking HP hits to get it to grow! I'm sure auto CLI's with them were not in my future. What's the point of doing that when I could put those HP's to more practical use? I didn't really "need' it...the way they kept sending me pre-screened mailers left and right, it sounded like they liked what they saw on my CR's and wanted my business-but I guess I was wrong on that one, or else they would have at least matched my Discover IT limit of $3.5K which was reporting at the time of app. And the $500/$100 spend bonus they're offering right now sounded good also along with the 0% for 18 mos.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 12 of 56
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Chase is the type of bank that dosn't let you choose your own credit line or request whatever you want. They like to see other banks take a chance first and if you do well..then they take a chance. When I first got my Chase card, I had a CL of 3k. And I had a second account with them at 1.5k. Fast forward 2 years later, I have a NPSL signature card with them. Patience is virtue. Since the life of my account, I've only received one auto CLI. They don't match CLs either.

I think you jumped the gun too fast on closing the account. Chase can be generous with CLs if you prove you can handle them. But what's done is done.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 13 of 56
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@maiden-girl: You're right-what's done is done. I thought I had proved myself pretty well with the BP gas card I've have with them for the last 8 mos., but I guess not. Besides if I had a desire to I could always re-apply next year and maybe this time aim a little higher-like CSP. By then practically all of my acct's will be well over a year old.

BUSINESS
Message 14 of 56
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous-girl: You're right-what's done is done. I thought I had proved myself pretty well with the BP gas card I've have with them for the last 8 mos., but I guess not. Besides if I had a desire to I could always re-apply next year and maybe this time aim a little higher-like CSP. By then practically all of my acct's will be well over a year old.

Next time, sock drawer a card you feel isn't growing and put all your spending on another one. I bet you would have received a little increase because they want you to use their card!! Not the competitor Smiley Happy Lol.

Message 15 of 56
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Credit i have somewhat of a similar experience except this is with Citi and not even a new card a CLI .... Now I've had my Sunoco card for over 10 months and have never even rrecieved and increased applied and was denied ...... yet all my other cards are well above a measely $500 but fact is .... Store Cards are much less accredited than you think to some banks.... Assuming you only have the store version and not the Visa if its the Visa ***shrugs*** no idea then...
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 16 of 56
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@shaun2009 wrote:
@Anonymous i have somewhat of a similar experience except this is with Citi and not even a new card a CLI .... Now I've had my Sunoco card for over 10 months and have never even rrecieved and increased applied and was denied ...... yet all my other cards are well above a measely $500 but fact is .... Store Cards are much less accredited than you think to some banks.... Assuming you only have the store version and not the Visa if its the Visa ***shrugs*** no idea then...

Citi is evil. They only let you have CLIs 6 months from the last one...I hate my simplicity card. It has high BT rates and you can't even use Citi Deals for statement credits...

Message 17 of 56
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@maiden-girl: That was my thinking too. Since Discover is their biggest competitor right now, I would have figured they (Chase) would have given me a little more incentive to steer me away from using my Discover Card. Looked to me though like they (Chase) could care less about the competition by giving me a much lower starting CL limit than Discover..

BUSINESS
Message 18 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous-girl: That was my thinking too. Since Discover is their biggest competitor right now, I would have figured they (Chase) would have given me a little more incentive to steer me away from using my Discover Card. Looked to me though like they (Chase) could care less about the competition by giving me a much lower starting CL limit than Discover..

Why is Discover their biggest competitor?  I would put a few other banks first!  Just because Freedom is similar to discover?

Message 19 of 56
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

That's what I meant-Freedom and Discover IT appear to be in competition with each other b/c both have the same rewards structure and similiar sign up bonuses. And both are doing a lot of heavy advertising right now also.

BUSINESS
Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.