Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Sallie mae is nerfed

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: UPDATE: Sallie mae is nerfed

I wouldn't bet the farm on nerfing for existing customers, just yet.  I recall reading the nerfing on the Forward for exsiting customers, and that was 3 years ago.

Message 11 of 117
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I wouldn't bet the farm on nerfing for existing customers, just yet.  I recall reading the nerfing on the Forward for exsiting customers, and that was 3 years ago.

Right, even though there was briefly a period where new apps could get a 1% Forward card.

And, from Barclays, doesn't TheManWhoCan still have the 2% Priceline card, when it's been 1% for new applicants for a long while?

Message 12 of 117
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Again, just because they arent forcing existing users into anything right now does not mean that they wont sooner or later.

Agree with baller. Its not the end of the world. Seriously. There are other cards.
Message 13 of 117
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Again, just because they arent forcing existing users into anything right now does not mean that they wont sooner or later.

Ah, this would be true of every singe rewards card in existence!  Except for zero-rewards cards, since I'm assuming having a negative-cashback card would be a violation of the T&C.

Message 14 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, thank you for this piece of information.

However, until there is some sort of confirmation, I'm putting this down to a troll. Even if it isn't, the reddit article doesn't provide anything by way of info to the existing cardholders. We're where we were yesterday folks, just waiting to see what happens. 

Message 15 of 117
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

However, until there is some sort of confirmation, I'm putting this down to a troll. Even if it isn't, the reddit article doesn't provide anything by way of info to the existing cardholders. We're where we were yesterday folks, just waiting to see what happens. 

Well, at least one thing is new from yesterday. That being that the application link says the offer has expired. But as far as existing cardholders all we can do is speculate until we get an official update. It is interesting that existing Priceline holders kept the 2% when it got downgraded to 1% though.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 16 of 117
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

^^^

This.

As an existing cardholder, there's really no need to make any move until there is official confirmation.  Even if what the reddit article says is true, it will take some time to implement.  In the meantime, people can figure out if they want to keep/SD/cancel their Sallie Maes.  

I rarely use my SM outside of the 5% categories...maybe 5 times in the 2 years I've had it.  My guess is Barclays count on people to use cards like the SM as an "everyday" card; that way they more than make up for the 5% they have to dish out for the rewards categories. So people like me may be part of the reason it's getting nerfed.

On a wider industry note, it really does seem like credit card companies have figured out 2% CB is about their max threshold.  Anything more seems to be either temporary or has capped/category spending.  Cash+ was a bonzana for early users, but US Bank quickly figured out they were taking a loss and nerfed it (by loss I mean not making enough profit; they still made plenty of money off the Cash+).

Message 17 of 117
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Today is a day that will live in infamy. .....

December 7, 1941

November 22, 1963

March 21, 2015

September 30, 2015

Message 18 of 117
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^lol

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 117
slicemans
Regular Contributor

ok seriously.....what is a replacement card for 5% amazon? Majority of my sallie mae card iis spent there.
Message 20 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.