cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED Apparently hit with an AMEX financial review? Any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATED Apparently hit with an AMEX financial review? Any advice?

Update: Everything is fine! They actually increased gold "spending limit" from $2100 to $3100, so something good came out of it at least!

Got the BCE and gold a little over 2 months ago. First month gold was posted at $850 or so, paid in full within a week. Now the balance is at $2100. I was on vacation with family and a $100 charge at walmart was declined. I called customer service and the lady said I've reached my limit and if I'd like to pay now to be able to use the card, I said no not right now, I'll pay in full whenever the statement closes(which is in a few days). The $2100 wasn't within a week, it was spread out throughout the whole month(except $500 down payment on vacation condo, and a few weeks later another $500 to have it paid, which still didn't trigger the FR since the card was still usable for weeks after that)

I look on app and both my cards have "Charging suspended. Please call blah blah number if we haven't already spoken to you." Got a call from AMEX yesterday but didn't recognize the number so didn't answer. Got an email last night saying I've been financially reviewed and to call to see what documents they need.

The problem is: my last years returns only show $5-6k(since it was only a few months of last year), and the income I listed was my parents income(since it literally said include anyone income that will be used to pay the card...) since they do most the charging as authorized users.) The BCE is also at $950/1k balance but that just closed and will also be paid in full, along with the gold card. Any advice on how to best explain this or what?

I understand they want to be careful, but jesus, the 2nd statement hasn't even posted yet...hopefully they just ask for bank statements or something but hey, they will either close the cards seeing my weak $5k income last year, or just put a low limit on the cards(hopefully the latter). Navy federal gave me a limit, I use the card up to that limit and pay in full. No problem. Amex gives you a limit, you use it, pay in full and still get "in trouble..."

Additional question: if they do decide to shut down the accounts regardless if I comply, will I be able to apply for cards in the future? Thanks in advance, just really annoying especially when I just hit the sign up bonus..."spend $4k in 3 months, oh you did! let's freeze your card and points and threaten to shut down your accounts! 'Don't live life without it Smiley Wink'"

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: Apparently hit with an AMEX financial review? Any advice?

If you have the money to pay the cards already why are you letting them report maxed out? This will hurt your scores and frighten lenders especially during these financial times. 

Message 2 of 42
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Parental income is not your income.  The language does NOT state any money that will be used to pay the card, but income that you expect to have reasonable access to.  Your parents charging on the account does not qualify as their income being shared equally with you.

Usually they want to see tax transcripts (which would be available for 2017 and 2018), but in the case of FRs they will sometimes accept banking records and other documents.  If things don't match up, you will have a hard limit placed on the charge card or the accounts will be closed.  If closed, you can apply again in the future when you can provide proof of income.

Message 3 of 42
ngoaa
New Contributor

Don't listen to the previous two posters; based on their sig., they clearly have no idea about credit cards.

/s

But as previously mentioned, why is there such a high balance being reported? Definitly raising a red flag during these times and drawing uncesssesary attnetion to yourself. Nonetheless, you have no choice but to comply with their demands and hope for the best. Good luck. 

Message 4 of 42
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Why are you letting the statement closed with such a high balance? It's fine to float money, because that is what credit is, but you can't do that in a way that will show your cards maxed out or near maxed it. Especially not with this Covid-19 Pandemic....creditors are already on edge.

Also, you don't put your parents' financials. Your AU's do not count because they are technically not responsible for the debt...you are. What if your AU's don't want to give you the money they charged? It can happen. That's why some creditors are usually wary when it comes to AUs, expecially during this time. I get why many include other people's income besides their own, and people can get away with it on "normal days", but it shouldn't be done...for this exact reason.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 5 of 42
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I got hit with one last year for no apparent reason that I could see. I'm sure they had their reasons. I did comply as I have always taken the approach to understate my income to be on the safe side. I think if you do not comply the likely result will be account closure in this case. There isn't enough history to work with for the Amex relationship eatablishment. What everyone has said is true though. Your parent's income should not be included in your reported income on the card. Plus it's always a good idea to tread lightly in carrying high balances with Amex. I think that's true whether in economic crisis or not. I have always seen Amex be sensitive to that, especially in new banking relationships. But that's just from what I have seen up here.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was initially assuming it's best to let balances post high so the limit on charge cards would increase(after a few months of use) which seems to not be the case. And yeah, covid seems to have a lot of companies a bit scared. It's just a pain being instantly approved and then they suspend charging when you actually use the card(and pay in full), but I definitely understand the reasoning and will comply. I appreciate the input. I'll update the post and see what happens/what documents they will ask for!

Message 7 of 42
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Hope all turns out well for you though. Typically, charge cards will grow based on usage, payment history, and overall credit score/report. It is not required that you let a high balance report for charge cards to grow in spending. It isn't a big deal normally, but creditors are on edge and right now.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 8 of 42
Hex
Valued Contributor

OP I'm not trying to give you a hard time I just wanted to make sure you know reporting high balances can be bad for your scores and can concern lenders. Since the BCE is a revolving credit card it was probably a mistake to let it report with utilization that high. It looks like the utization on that card is maxed out and if you only have 4 cards (unless the Navy's  have high limits) you made your overall utilization pretty high too. I

don't have any charge cards but I think the people who let them report high on purpose usually have high combind credit limits and longer histories. I could be wrong since I don't know your profile.  I hope you don't lose your Amex cards but if you do you can still get back on track. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha it's all good! Yeah, hopefully they just put a hard limit on them or something, but if they do close the accounts then I'll just apply again in the future when THEY think I'm ready

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.