cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED Apparently hit with an AMEX financial review? Any advice?

tag
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Re: Apparently hit with an AMEX financial review? Any advice?

@Anonymous wrote:

My parents are rebuilding their credit so could not get the cards. They are on all my cards as I'm helping them rebuild their credit since they only have secured cards, which is why they are the AU's.

I had a sneaking suspicion this was more about the parentals than you OP. I was actually going to first suggest they become co-borrowers but if they wouldn't qualify what you /they may consider is a power-of-attorney. I had financial POA over all my Dad's accounts/affairs and as such had access/authority to all acconts/decsions including retirement fund and social security. I was added to all of his accounts. It's a simple and affordable process. Just a suggestion. 

BTW, I'm in NJ so don't know if the legalities are much different in other states ? (ie maybe added language for communal property.) But we've even had multi-state documents drawn as my sister held POA for my grandparents. My aunt for my sister when she retired early at 50; lucky lady. My younger brother for me.  It's a proper way to keep a family member in charge of your assests should anything happen. We also have medical authority as well. 

ETA: As this is a huge responsibility for you OP, take some time and dig into the credit scoring, personal finance and other sub forum sections. Soak up as much knowledge as you can so you will hopefully bypass too many rookie mistakes (btw, we all make errors what's important is that you learn from it.). Learn from those that have experienced it all and are gracious enough to share that knowledge, free of charge. Believe me, financial advisors, accountants and lawyers ain't cheap!

Good luck OP!

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 31 of 42
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

.  Any other statement of income is fraud punishable by fines of up to $1,000,000 and 30 years imprisonment.

But.... not very likely!   Just as we shouldn't condone providing false information on a credit application, I think we should portray the risk in a more likely light, which is card closure.   After all, it is also possible that the underwriter will get so enraged by the deception that he or she will hire a hit person to take out OP and family.

I've never lied but if they start asking how tall I am, imma gonna lie.

They can imprison me if they want. Luckily for them, a shoe box will suffice. 

Well, maybe boots box. 

Anyway, I'll lie. 

Message 32 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Well, maybe boots box. 

Anyway, I'll lie. 

As far as I recall, I have never been asked my height (or your height for that matter) on a credit application, so you may not have to cross that bridge anyway.  Which is just as well, as if you fit in even a boot box, crossing any reasonable size bridge would be an effort.

Hardest question I got was "Do you intend to defraud us over $100,000 or more in the next twelve months?" with multiple choice: "As soon as I get a chance", "Very Likely," " I Don't Know," "Probably Not",  and "No, I don't do that sort of thing."   I don't remember if I was truthful or not.

Message 33 of 42
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Well, maybe boots box. 

Anyway, I'll lie. 

As far as I recall, I have never been asked my height (or your height for that matter) on a credit application, so you may not have to cross that bridge anyway.  Which is just as well, as if you fit in even a boot box, crossing any reasonable size bridge would be an effort.

Hardest question I got was "Do you intend to defraud us over $100,000 or more in the next twelve months?" with multiple choice: "As soon as I get a chance", "Very Likely," " I Don't Know," "Probably Not",  and "No, I don't do that sort of thing."   I don't remember if I was truthful or not.

Was that really a question on an app?? Smiley Surprised

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 34 of 42
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

I am a student and depend on my parents financially. I phoned amex to ask about including their income along with mine as they help me pay bills etc as I just have a part time job. After a few minutes on hold while they checked, they confirmed that as long as you are over the age of 21, parental income can be included as long as you live with them and have a 'reasonable expectation of access', so I think as long as you're honest you'll be fine. Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 42
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Got the BCE and gold a little over 2 months ago. First month gold was posted at $850 or so, paid in full within a week. Now the balance is at $2100. I was on vacation with family and a $100 charge at walmart was declined. I called customer service and the lady said I've reached my limit and if I'd like to pay now to be able to use the card, I said no not right now, I'll pay in full whenever the statement closes(which is in a few days). The $2100 wasn't within a week, it was spread out throughout the whole month(except $500 down payment on vacation condo, and a few weeks later another $500 to have it paid, which still didn't trigger the FR since the card was still usable for weeks after that)

I look on app and both my cards have "Charging suspended. Please call blah blah number if we haven't already spoken to you." Got a call from AMEX yesterday but didn't recognize the number so didn't answer. Got an email last night saying I've been financially reviewed and to call to see what documents they need.

The problem is: my last years returns only show $5-6k(since it was only a few months of last year), and the income I listed was my parents income(since it literally said include anyone income that will be used to pay the card...) since they do most the charging as authorized users.) The BCE is also at $950/1k balance but that just closed and will also be paid in full, along with the gold card. Any advice on how to best explain this or what?

I understand they want to be careful, but jesus, the 2nd statement hasn't even posted yet...hopefully they just ask for bank statements or something but hey, they will either close the cards seeing my weak $5k income last year, or just put a low limit on the cards(hopefully the latter). Navy federal gave me a limit, I use the card up to that limit and pay in full. No problem. Amex gives you a limit, you use it, pay in full and still get "in trouble..."

Additional question: if they do decide to shut down the accounts regardless if I comply, will I be able to apply for cards in the future? Thanks in advance, just really annoying especially when I just hit the sign up bonus..."spend $4k in 3 months, oh you did! let's freeze your card and points and threaten to shut down your accounts! 'Don't live life without it Smiley Wink'"

OP,

I don't know if it is true or if it were ever true, but I noticed in your post you mention the cards are new, your parents are authorized users, and that they out pace you as the primary card harder, in charges. 

I remember when I first joined these here parts and it was often mentioned that Amex frowns a bit when authorized users start out pacing the primary in spend.  I further remember that folks would allude to such being a reason for Financial Review.  

Again, I'm not saying that is the reason you got hit with it because I don't know but if any part of what has been mentioned before about AUs spending more than the Primary in charge cards then you may have at least some sort of idea as to why this happened so soon...especially when your AUs are spending more than yourself on a new account.  

Maybe others can chime in on if the AUs spend logic is fact or another credit myth.  

Nonetheless, best of luck to you.  

Message 36 of 42
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

OP, don't be angry at Amex.  They're doing due diligence as they should.  You have an unusual situation, and you should expect to be questioned on it.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 37 of 42
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Maybe others can chime in on if the AUs spend logic is fact or another credit myth.  

For 2019, I outpaced by husband in spending on his Platinum (where I am an AU) by 4 to 1. For 2020, it's been about 2 to 1. 

Amex doesn't seem to care. Granted, he's also an AU on my account, where I outpace him by like 12 to 1.

Message 38 of 42
Kidcat
Established Contributor

My sons outpace me on the BCP because they will do a lot of the shopping saving me the trip to the store.  No problems with AMEX.  In fact I go months at a time without a swipe of my card, but use the PRG regularly.  Maybe that makes a difference.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 39 of 42
red259
Super Contributor

There are soo many things OP did that was almost certain to raise flags with a lender as explained above. People new to credit cards should take note on what not to do, because the whole situation was avoidable.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.