cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPGRADING MACYS STORE CARD TO MACYS AMEX 2018!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPGRADING MACYS STORE CARD TO MACYS AMEX 2018!

Good Afternoon...

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Just wanted to start by saying thank you all for the amazing information I’ve learned from all of you from this amazing forum. It has been truly beneficial to me.

However I simply wanted to share my experience with Macy’s and upgrading the store card to its Amex version. I was at the checkout and expressed to the cashier I was interested in upgrading my store card to the Amex’s version. I’ve had my card for about 2 years. Starting limit was 300. Current limit is 20K. I receive regular CLI increases from CITI about every month to two months on this card. The cashier enters all the info and I’m immediately approved for a 2K limit. I look at the paperwork and see it’s a different account number. That threw me off. I call up CS to inquire some info. They informed me that the Amex version is a new account with a new number. They also told me I pretty much applied for a new account. They informed me that I will be receiving another Macy’s card with the Amex logo. I was told everything with my store account will stay open and stay the same (acct#, credit reporting info, etc.) Why would CITI do this? Why feel the need to have the customer walk around with two Macy’s cards?

Has anyone else heard of this? How has it been for you handling the two cards? Does the Amex version grow as fast as the store card does? Thanks for any input you guys may have. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: UPGRADING MACYS STORE CARD TO MACYS AMEX 2018!

This doesn't sound like a mistake on Citi's end, but the cashier at Macy's.  They actually just put in a new apllication for the Amex version for you.  There's no "pretty much applied for a new account," whether you wanted to or not you did apply for a new account.  Also, I thought the Macy's Amex was issued by DSNB, not Citi?

Welcome to the forums and thanks for finally registering!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey...excuse me. Yes it is backed by DSNB. I was simply saying...why come up with the idea of having the customer have to manage two cards linked to one store? As for example, my Bestbuy and Nordstrom Visa’s, upgrading is still one card and one account. Not two cards and two separate accounts. So I was just a bit shocked at Macy’s process.
Message 3 of 14
SBR249
Established Contributor

DSNB is a subsidiary of Citibank I believe. 

As for the OP, it makes sense to issue a new account number. The store card number format may not have been compatible with the AmEx network or may not be allowed for general use outside the internal Macy's/DSNB network so to get a general use Macy's AmEx card you'd need to have a new number. As for why it's a new tradeline, that may be SOP for this type of upgrade or maybe it's the way that the clerk chose to go about it fulfilling your request. The clerk may get a commission only on new accounts so thought that it may not make a difference so why not make a commission. It could be that the clerk doesn't have the power to upgrade your account and if you wanted to essentially PC your store card to the AmEx version you'd need to talk to DSNB directly so the clerk thought they were doing you a favor by finding another way to take care of it then and there. 

In any case, what's done is done. If you really don't want another card, you could try asking DSNB if you could PC your store card to the AmEx version and either combined the 2 AmEx's or close the newer one. Or you can keep both or ask for reallocation of limits. Just be sure to always confirm whether an HP will be done and whether it's a modification of existing account or creation of new account from now on. 

Message 4 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

There are no upgrades with Macys. Two completely different accounts .ive often thought of getting the Amex version but once you have an Amex elsewhere just kind of defeats the purpose especially since ive had my card going on 3 years.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was definitely an lesson learned for me. I wished I would have asked prior to. I truly wasn’t looking to open an another account. Especially since I already have three Amex’s.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your valid points. I didn’t think of maybe neededing an another acct# for the Amex version. And I will definitely give them a call first thing in the am in referencing to combining the limits.
Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

It happens. Got to remember the vast majority of cashiers wont know the difference in the cards just what they are told to push. You got a leg up, you are a myFicoerSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 14
SBR249
Established Contributor

If they do allow you to combine, make sure you confirm with them which one is getting combined into the other and which one will end up closed. You probably wouldn't want your older account getting accidentally axed. 

Message 9 of 14
jellyroll2
Established Member

OP - I had the same thing happen to me in February this year. I've had my Macy's store card for about 14 years. Went in to buy something in February and had the clerk ask me if I wanted to "upgrade" to a Macy's AmEx. I was hesitant as I didn't want to apply for the card but she kept saying it would be an upgrade. So I gave my info, etc. and got approved. I'm thinking the old card would eventually be no good and it would be the same number, etc. So after about 10 days when I didn't receive the card I called and asked what was happening. That's when I found out it was an entirely new card with a new number. So now I had two Macy's cards. And I wasted a HP and a 5/24 slot because the cashier didn't explain it properly. Ugh.

I'm still contemplating cancelling the AmEx once I get to one year. I really have no need for two. They have almost the same CL and everything ($4100 and $4000). I would never cancel the regular store card as I've had it for much longer. But I get how annoying it is.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.