Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UR points redemption

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

UR points redemption

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

Just thought I would post my experience.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
pakman92
Established Contributor

Re: UR points redemption

I don't think there is much debate that UR points are much more valuable then MR points.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 2 of 61
nickn86
Contributor

Do UR points transfer instantly the way MR points do?

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 3 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Yes, at least mine did to United.

Again not to start a debate because I have got a better redemption value than this out or MR points before, just letting everyone know about my latest experience

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Yes, at least mine did to United.

Again not to start a debate because I have got a better redemption value than this out or MR points before, just letting everyone know about my latest experience

+1. Mine transferred instantly to Hyatt. It seems as if most transfer partners are instant.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

Nice redemption! If you can always redeem United miles at that rate, wouldn't the United Explorer trump just about any other card? Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Nice redemption! If you can always redeem United miles at that rate, wouldn't the United Explorer trump just about any other card? Smiley Very Happy

Not exactly, since from a pure earnings perspective the CSR is superior in the travel and dining categories. It also has the flexibility to transfer to other high value partners.

I recently booked a stay at the Park Hyatt in Seoul, which as a category 4 hotel costs 15k points per night. That same room is currently going for $438 (including all taxes), netting a value of 2.9 cpp. On dining/travel purchases, it'd be returning 6.2% (once the 7% dividend is factored in).

I can't speak for MR, but so far UR is offering fantastic value.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Not exactly, since from a pure earnings perspective the CSR is superior in the travel and dining categories. It also has the flexibility to transfer to other high value partners.

I recently booked a stay at the Park Hyatt in Seoul, which as a category 4 hotel costs 15k points per night. That same room is currently going for $438 (including all taxes), netting a value of 2.9 cpp. On dining/travel purchases, it'd be returning 6.2% (once the 7% dividend is factored in).

By "any other card", I meant any card other than the CSP and the United Explorer Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 61
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

Just thought I would post my experience.

You'll always get the best redemption value transferring to airlines or hotels vs. getting cashback. If you don't already have it, you can get 5% on Chase Freedom rotating categories and then transfer those points to UR as well.

Message 9 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

By "any other card", I meant any card other than the CSP and the United Explorer Smiley Happy

How about the Ink Bold/Plus, JPM Select and Palladium? They use UR too Smiley Tongue

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.