tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: UR points redemption

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I have been considering getting the freedom card but I might just have my fiance get one and add me as an AU (shes an AU on my CSP) and we can just use each card for the bonus categories and combine points for travel. 

two cards shouldn't be too hard for her to keep us with spending on, especially since most of the dining I pay for since we're together.

I've been suggesting the same, but my wife isn't a finance person.  

She really doesn't care at all, and I've been finding it difficult to persuade her to apply.  Wish I could just command her to do it, but in this age, won't work too well.  j/k  Jokes aside, it still drives me crazy when she uses her "no rewards" Wells Fargo Visa.  I just don't get it.

You'll be forgoing the bonus if you'd rather be an AU than apply for a card on your own.

A no-rewards credit card charges merchants a lower swipe fee in general. That's one possible reason. Smiley Wink

Wouldn't surprise me!

She's always been the unbridled altruist, greenpeace, eat less meat and save the environment type.  Conversely, I have never seen an oil well I didn't want to driil, animal I didn't want to shoot, and can't imagine a life without ribeye steaks!

That's why you guys get along so well - one complementing the other! Cat Wink

Message 31 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:
Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.

Speaking of Amex MR, I ran across something interesting a few months ago and am contemplating whether or not it's worth it.

Amex issues a revolver here called the Platinum Edge, which gives 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on everything else with $149 AF. The two of us spend around $300 per week on groceries and around $500 per month on gas (though that is mostly reimbursed by my employer).

I'm wondering if it's worth adding it to my rotation or not, factoring in the extra hassle plus lost United and UR points in favor of MR.

Is there a sign up bonus?  LOL  That's always my first question when considering a new card, and just had to ask!

I think it's worth it with a sign up bonus, but probably not if there isn't.  Since you have 1.5 on your UA Club card, you'd earn about 30,000 UR points from your existing fixed cost in fees.  Adding this card without a sign up bonus will only net you about 25,000 MR points more for $149.  

For me, I might just do it for a year, just for the fun of having and using a "new" card.

You and your signup bonuses! It must be an obsession or something Smiley Tongue

Yes there is but it's quite pitiful, only 10k. My club card gives such a fantastic return already so my gut says it's probably not worth it, given that the opportunity cost would be high.

It's also another reason that I've been discouraged from applying for the SPG. It's a fantastic card and normally I'd be all over such a product, but if it offers a similar return to my club card it makes me question its value/purpose. I'm still thinking about it later this year, just to see what the fuss is all about. I know it's your favourite Amex product.

What's your opinion on applying for the SPG, yes or no? Is it worth adding into my rotation for domestic spending only? I've never had it before.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:
Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.

Speaking of Amex MR, I ran across something interesting a few months ago and am contemplating whether or not it's worth it.

Amex issues a revolver here called the Platinum Edge, which gives 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on everything else with $149 AF. The two of us spend around $300 per week on groceries and around $500 per month on gas (though that is mostly reimbursed by my employer).

I'm wondering if it's worth adding it to my rotation or not, factoring in the extra hassle plus lost United and UR points in favor of MR.

Is there a sign up bonus?  LOL  That's always my first question when considering a new card, and just had to ask!

I think it's worth it with a sign up bonus, but probably not if there isn't.  Since you have 1.5 on your UA Club card, you'd earn about 30,000 UR points from your existing fixed cost in fees.  Adding this card without a sign up bonus will only net you about 25,000 MR points more for $149.  

For me, I might just do it for a year, just for the fun of having and using a "new" card.

Yes there is but it's quite pitiful, only 10k. My club card gives such a fantastic return already so my gut says it's probably not worth it, given that the opportunity cost would be high.

It's also another reason that I've been discouraged from applying for the SPG. It's a fantastic card and normally I'd be all over such a product, but if it offers a similar return to my club card it makes me question its value/purpose. I'm still thinking about it later this year, just to see what the fuss is all about. I know it's your favourite Amex product.

What's your opinion on applying for the SPG, yes or no? Is it worth adding into my rotation for domestic spending only? I've never had it before.

I'm sure you can figure out the value of an SPG card using some simple math. An SPG gives you 1.25 airline miles per dollar. With the Platinum Edge, on gas and groceries alone you'd earn 1,900 points per month. With an SPG, those purchases will earn you 1,000 airline miles.  Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I have been considering getting the freedom card but I might just have my fiance get one and add me as an AU (shes an AU on my CSP) and we can just use each card for the bonus categories and combine points for travel. 

two cards shouldn't be too hard for her to keep us with spending on, especially since most of the dining I pay for since we're together.

I've been suggesting the same, but my wife isn't a finance person.  

She really doesn't care at all, and I've been finding it difficult to persuade her to apply.  Wish I could just command her to do it, but in this age, won't work too well.  j/k  Jokes aside, it still drives me crazy when she uses her "no rewards" Wells Fargo Visa.  I just don't get it.

You'll be forgoing the bonus if you'd rather be an AU than apply for a card on your own.

A no-rewards credit card charges merchants a lower swipe fee in general. That's one possible reason. Smiley Wink

Wouldn't surprise me!

She's always been the unbridled altruist, greenpeace, eat less meat and save the environment type.  Conversely, I have never seen an oil well I didn't want to driil, animal I didn't want to shoot, and can't imagine a life without ribeye steaks!

Holy sh*t, you too? Mine wants to help all of the animals, conserve the environment and ease human suffering, but at least she still likes a good steak! Maybe it's because she grew up in the exact opposite position as myself, but regardless I think I've picked up a lot of good habits from her.

We have re-usable everything, and she's glad that I go along with most of her "hippie ideas" even though they're definitely not my thing. She trusts my decisions regarding credit, which cards to get, and will rotate a few cards for different categories. It works for us and I guess it's a good tradeoff.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I'm sure you can figure out the value of an SPG card using some simple math. An SPG gives you 1.25 airline miles per dollar. With the Platinum Edge, on gas and groceries alone you'd earn 1,900 points per month. With an SPG, those purchases will earn you 1,000 airline miles.  Smiley Happy

Oh I wouldn't add both, just one. It's moreso than everyone always raves about the SPG, so I'm wondering what all of the fuss is about.

The generally accepted value of a starpoint is about 2.3 cpp, while my UA club card gives 1.5 miles per dollar valued at 1.9 cpm (1.5 x 1.9 = 2.85). From a purely mathematical perspective the club card offers me a better return, but curiosity still nags me from time to time.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 35 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Oh I wouldn't add both, just one. It's moreso than everyone always raves about the SPG, so I'm wondering what all of the fuss is about.

The generally accepted value of a starpoint is about 2.3 cpp, while my UA club card gives 1.5 miles per dollar valued at 1.9 cpm (1.5 x 1.9 = 2.85). From a purely mathematical perspective the club card offers me a better return, but curiosity still nags me from time to time.

Do the extra points justify the difference in annual fees?

Message 36 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

In my view, this is easily Amex's best product.  

The fee is reasonable, and the returns are high if some of the hotels you like end up on the category 3, 4, or 5s.  The only downside is the forex fee, but you can always use the "cash + points" for int'l properties and pay with a no forex fee card.

Currently, there's a 25K sign up bonus (there I go again!  LOL), and along with your domestic spending would give you a nice opportunity to try it out for free.  If it turns out there aren't any properties you'd like with the "cash + points" option, you can always transfer them to airlines at a 25% bonus.  Only downside is that UA isn't one of those.  They are, but at 2 spg points to 1 UA mile, which is hardly compelling value.

If I were you, I'd try it out just for the 25K bonus and first year fee waived.  

Message 37 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

Only downside is that UA isn't one of those.  They are, but at 2 spg points to 1 UA mile, which is hardly compelling value.

On the plus side, you can book UA flights using another carrier's loyalty miles. Smiley Wink

Message 38 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Yes it does, since I'd end up purchasing club access anyways for the same AF.

The SPG has forex fees, so I'd still need a no forex card that offers high returns (like the club card) regardless.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 39 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Yes it does, since I'd end up purchasing club access anyways for the same AF.

The SPG has forex fees, so I'd still need a no forex card that offers high returns (like the club card) regardless.

If you're a very frequent flier and lounge guest of United Airlines, the United Club card is a no-brainer. Robot Happy

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.