Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UR points redemption

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: UR points redemption

@CreditScholar wrote:

Sure, go through the UR portal with a Marriott card. The card gives you 5 points per dollar, and the portal another 2. So you'll get 5 Marriott points + 2 UR points per dollar spent.

The other way is to purchase gift cards when they have the yearly specials. Last year they were giving an extra 10 points per dollar spent buying the gift cards. So you'd be getting 15 points per dollar (5 for the marriott card + 10 bonus).

Both scenarios will then let you earn points during the actual hotel stays too (10 base plus elite bonuses).

Oops, my turn to misread. I'm assuming you use a rotating 5 point/dollar category card plus UR?

no yearly specials, and don't have a mariott card =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 51 of 61
zeusta20
Established Contributor

FINALLY caught up to the 6th page of this thread...LOL.

Question...How do you guys calculate these 2.34 per 1 dollar spent?? LOL As far as I knew, there was just 2x the points, 3x the points, etc....lol. And what is "cpp" and "cpm" etc. I've been obsessing over rewards lately. Trying to figure out how to maximize the rewards...I 'light weight' feel like i'm doing some EXTREME COUPONING....haha.

Could someone pls elaborate...lol.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 52 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Well with the CSP there is a 7% annual bonus so dining would earn 2.14 (1.07x2). Cpm = cents per mile, cpp = cents per point.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 53 of 61
zeusta20
Established Contributor

ohhh! thats right! There's so many features of all these rewards cards that I COMPLETELY forgot about that 7% dividend. Smiley Happy lol

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 54 of 61
winner88
Contributor

ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

Just thought I would post my experience.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Like I said in the other thread.. this is totally subjective.. My story
I transfere 90,000MR points to ANA.
I used this to book a United DFW to IAH (first) and IAH to LOS (businesFIRST). This ticket cost minimum $6350 on United.. Redemntion value 7 cents! .. yea 3 times UR value! and it gets better .. I got those 90k MR points thru "Gas purchases" using my AmEX Mercedes cards that earns 3MR for $1 spend. So this is 21% cash back value.. I wont even compare that to CSP and 2X dinning bonus.

Case 2:
transfer 18,000 from MR to BA avios during 40% bonus  .. that should net 25,000 AVIOS. Use that to book that same flight from AR to NC on American  for a 40% better value than you got from the UR / United flight. Add the multipler of getting 3X MR on gas instead of the 2X you get on dinning ..
bottomline.. Until Chase start running real good transfer bonus (40% plus range) it is still gonna remain the least valueable.. well behind SPG and MR

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 55 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Holy sh*t, you too? Mine wants to help all of the animals, conserve the environment and ease human suffering, but at least she still likes a good steak! Maybe it's because she grew up in the exact opposite position as myself, but regardless I think I've picked up a lot of good habits from her.

We have re-usable everything, and she's glad that I go along with most of her "hippie ideas" even though they're definitely not my thing. She trusts my decisions regarding credit, which cards to get, and will rotate a few cards for different categories. It works for us and I guess it's a good tradeoff.

Because of her, we have the stupid 3 trash cans in our house.  One for recycling, compost, and the other for...ah...trash, I guess. 

Jokes aside, I've learned a considerable amount from here her, and continue to do so.  Still, on general principle, I've got to roll my eyes on the no rewards Wells Fargo card she insists on using.

Sounds like Dharma and Greg. Smiley Happy

Sometimes, it really does!  

I just feel strongly about maximizing the return whenever we can, even if it's a small amount.  Her view is that since she's had her checking and credit card with Wells since college, the extra rewards aren't worth the dislocation of change.

In end, nothing wrong with that logic.  Smiley Happy

Message 56 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I have been considering getting the freedom card but I might just have my fiance get one and add me as an AU (shes an AU on my CSP) and we can just use each card for the bonus categories and combine points for travel. 

two cards shouldn't be too hard for her to keep us with spending on, especially since most of the dining I pay for since we're together.

I've been suggesting the same, but my wife isn't a finance person.  

She really doesn't care at all, and I've been finding it difficult to persuade her to apply.  Wish I could just command her to do it, but in this age, won't work too well.  j/k  Jokes aside, it still drives me crazy when she uses her "no rewards" Wells Fargo Visa.  I just don't get it.

You'll be forgoing the bonus if you'd rather be an AU than apply for a card on your own.

A no-rewards credit card charges merchants a lower swipe fee in general. That's one possible reason. Smiley Wink

Wouldn't surprise me!

She's always been the unbridled altruist, greenpeace, eat less meat and save the environment type.  Conversely, I have never seen an oil well I didn't want to driil, animal I didn't want to shoot, and can't imagine a life without ribeye steaks!

I think me and you would get along just fine! lol

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 57 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@winner88 wrote:
@ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I used this to book a United DFW to IAH (first) and IAH to LOS (businesFIRST). This ticket cost minimum $6350 on United.. Redemntion value 7 cents! .. yea 3 times UR value! and it gets better .. I got those 90k MR points thru "Gas purchases" using my AmEX Mercedes cards that earns 3MR for $1 spend. So this is 21% cash back value.. I wont even compare that to CSP and 2X dinning bonus.

Case 2:
transfer 18,000 from MR to BA avios during 40% bonus  .. that should net 25,000 AVIOS. Use that to book that same flight from AR to NC on American  for a 40% better value than you got from the UR / United flight. Add the multipler of getting 3X MR on gas instead of the 2X you get on dinning ..
bottomline.. Until Chase start running real good transfer bonus (40% plus range) it is still gonna remain the least valueable.. well behind SPG and MR

Good points and examples.

However, when we start taking specific examples (exceptions rather than the norm) of high value redemptions, it becomes difficult to compare the "general" value of each program, since the value becomes blurred and skewed.  For instance, if we use MR bonus transfers and specific routes, then we must factor in bonuses associated with the UR program with specific routes; and, there's a base 1c per point associated with UR that can be redeemed on demand and at anytime for cash.  

I do agree that when redeemed opportunistically and prudently, the MR program is still extremely valuable for air travel.  It certainly is a rewards program worth having, especially when utilzing it along with something such as ANA tool.

All things being equal, I'd agree with disantarray's rankings--SPG > UR > MR.  At least we can agree they're all > Thank you points!

Message 58 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@winner88 wrote:
@ryanbush wrote:

Case 2:

Very good redemption! there is definitly value in each program.  Another factor to include is how easy is it for YOU to earn points in that program.

For example my mom owns a chain of restaurants, she has an amex business gold account and all of her managers use that account for the gas in their company cars.  She racks up a bunch of points that way.  someone that didn't own 5 company cars woudn't earn as many MR points with the same amount of spend.  Another factor that Chase doesn't have is the bonus MR points for early spend.  I think my mom got something like 25k MRs this year already for hitting a spend threshold.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 59 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:
For example my mom owns a chain of restaurants, she has an amex business gold account and all of her managers use that account for the gas in their company cars.  She racks up a bunch of points that way.  someone that didn't own 5 company cars woudn't earn as many MR points with the same amount of spend.  Another factor that Chase doesn't have is the bonus MR points for early spend.  I think my mom got something like 25k MRs this year already for hitting a spend threshold.

Right, nice bonus with this card.  

And, the points can be redeemed for tax free travel, where ordinarily these tickets must be purchased with pre-tax dollars.  

Message 60 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.