US BANK

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: US BANK

@enharu wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@enharu wrote:

this honestly depends on what kind of card you want.

if you want a cashback card, the cash+ is a much better card than flexperks.

If you want a travel card, the cash+ gives u 5% for hotels only. Airlines is discontinued as far as I know, so it isn't that great anymore. Flexperks would be better in this aspect. But for travel cards, there are other better alternatives imo.

I still haven't found a card that offers better rewards for domestic travel.

depends on from where to where you are travelling.

the citi thank you premier is a nice travel card in general but you have to be spending a lot on that card, and be flying quite a bit.

it gives you 1 TY point per mile of flight you fly, so thats a nice plus. if you're on LA to NYC or those cross country flights a lot, those points add up fast. but if you're on very short haul flights, then its quite pointless. your spending also has to match the miles you fly.

also, they're improving rewards on that card starting july. its 3x for dining / entertainment, 2x travel, 1x rest, on top of anniversary and other bonuses.

so in general, it really depends on what flights you're flying and how far the flight itself is.

to add: the ty premier is of course even nicer for international flights. LAX to Korea round trip is about 11k miles. thats bout $110 in rewards alone and roundtrip tickets are about $1000-1200 for korean air, so its a nice 10% discount approx. and you still get miles for that purchase, and redemption of points for flight is 33% bonus or something

Yes, the combination (albeit just for 12 months) of the 5x TYP and the Premier is powerful!   You get 5 points on all grocery/drugstore/gas spending (whereas Flex gives you 2 points on the highest spend category).  Flexpoints are worth 2 cents each when redeemed for travel, TYP are 1.33cents with Premier, so this is 6.65 across all three categories, compared to 4 for Flex in just the highest spend.   Add in the 15% of base fare on flights booked without points, and a once yearly free companion ticket, and the flight miles feature......  Downside is the $125 fee for Premier after the first year, and no guarantee of the 5x existing then.

Message 11 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, the combination (albeit just for 12 months) of the 5x TYP and the Premier is powerful!   You get 5 points on all grocery/drugstore/gas spending (whereas Flex gives you 2 points on the highest spend category).  Flexpoints are worth 2 cents each when redeemed for travel, TYP are 1.33cents with Premier, so this is 6.65 across all three categories, compared to 4 for Flex in just the highest spend.   Add in the 15% of base fare on flights booked without points, and a once yearly free companion ticket, and the flight miles feature......  Downside is the $125 fee for Premier after the first year, and no guarantee of the 5x existing then.

That's a nice way to boost your points too that I haven't thought about.

For me, the bonus of 1 point per mile of flight that you fly is already an extremely big plus. With enough flying and spending on the card, plus the upcoming changes to TY program and combination like you said, this can easily be the best travel card. But for someone who doesn't fly as much and can't spend as much on the card, it's probably one of the worst. So it can really go both ways.

CSP and Flexperks on the other hand are kinda more "moderate." Customers are still rewarded pretty generously regardless of how much travelling they do. The Premier somewhat "punishes" customers for not flying / spending enough, but in turn rewards customers extremely generously who can achieve that.                                       

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think this combination is among the best travel cards FOR COACH.   (Copied from Mia, credit card moderator of Flyertalk!)  If you want to fly in premium cabins, you need to be able to transfer miles to airline programs, and that is where CSP or various Amex cards are much superior.

I don't think the Premier punishes infrequent fliers, when you buy your infrequent  trip you will get either 15% off base, or 1.33cents per point.   The problem for infrequent fliers is just

a) you need to make sure your benefits outweight the AF when charged  (and a single 15% off can easily do this.  I just bought a ticket to Verona, and got about $150 off)

b) You will earn the flight miles but not convert them to TYP if your spend isn't enough.

So OK, rather than great.  But still OK!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.