cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

As subject title reads. Thanks to Doctor of Credit for the source. US Bank Altitude Reserve has a new rewards cateogry: 5x on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked directly in the Altitude Rewards Center. There is no hike in the annual fee at the present time but I'm speculating that when the two new cards are released that will change

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-altitude-reserve-now-earns-5x-points-on-prepaid-hotels-car-re...

Also, with Flexperks card going away US Bank will add two new Altitude-branded cards in the future. Presumption is they're going all in on this reward system and are trying to emulate AMEX/Chase/etc in a rewards program where it is some customer's benefit to nab one or both cards to maximize reward potential

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-to-launch-two-new-altitude-cards/

Personally, as long as the mobile wallet category is always there with the Altitude Reserve I'm going to find it really hard to justify getting any other card with Socks Bank even if they do increase the AF on the card itself. I guess we'll see soon enough 🤷‍♂️

Message 1 of 133
132 REPLIES 132
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

I was reading that on DoC too, and I was almost getting excited about the extra points. Then I realized I never book prepaid hotels or car rentals and the fine print says that those bookings through their travel portal do not fall under the travel category. So, does that mean that if you were planning to use points to offset the purchases, RTR wouldn't be triggered because they won't code as travel and you're not booking directly with a hotel or car rental agency? Plus, you can always use a shopping portal for extra points, take advantage of loyalty discounts, etc. I really don't see much or any use for it, TBH.

I do want to see how they restructure their rewards program with the new Altitude cards, and maybe they'll add more benefits to the AR. 

Message 2 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

@imaximous wrote:

I was reading that on DoC too, and I was almost getting excited about the extra points. Then I realized I never book prepaid hotels or car rentals and the fine print says that those bookings through their travel portal do not fall under the travel category. So, does that mean that if you were planning to use points to offset the purchases, RTR wouldn't be triggered because they won't code as travel and you're not booking directly with a hotel or car rental agency? Plus, you can always use a shopping portal for extra points, take advantage of loyalty discounts, etc. I really don't see much or any use for it, TBH.

I do want to see how they restructure their rewards program with the new Altitude cards, and maybe they'll add more benefits to the AR. 

At the minimum I expect the AR to finally get an increase in the annual fee because of this "added perk" they did. They can give it the AMEX Platinum treatment and I'll still pay for it as long as the mobile wallet category is there. For me like you I don't see the point of the new rewards category when cashback portals offer more but I'm willing to bet it's to get those customers who rather go through one website to get everything for their travel needs

For the AR itself I don't see how they can add more benefits that are beneficial and at the same time add cards that compliment the AR. What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card. If they have to release a new card in the Altitude family that is a copy of Cash+ except it's a point earner I would consider that for sure

Message 3 of 133
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

As subject title reads. Thanks to Doctor of Credit for the source. US Bank Altitude Reserve has a new rewards cateogry: 5x on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked directly in the Altitude Rewards Center. There is no hike in the annual fee at the present time but I'm speculating that when the two new cards are released that will change

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-altitude-reserve-now-earns-5x-points-on-prepaid-hotels-car-re...

Also, with Flexperks card going away US Bank will add two new Altitude-branded cards in the future. Presumption is they're going all in on this reward system and are trying to emulate AMEX/Chase/etc in a rewards program where it is some customer's benefit to nab one or both cards to maximize reward potential

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-to-launch-two-new-altitude-cards/

Personally, as long as the mobile wallet category is always there with the Altitude Reserve I'm going to find it really hard to justify getting any other card with Socks Bank even if they do increase the AF on the card itself. I guess we'll see soon enough 🤷‍♂️

I read that somewhere last night!  .. They are also dpopping some of the Flex Perks cards from new app's.

Message 4 of 133
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

At the minimum I expect the AR to finally get an increase in the annual fee because of this "added perk" they did. They can give it the AMEX Platinum treatment and I'll still pay for it as long as the mobile wallet category is there. For me like you I don't see the point of the new rewards category when cashback portals offer more but I'm willing to bet it's to get those customers who rather go through one website to get everything for their travel needs

For the AR itself I don't see how they can add more benefits that are beneficial and at the same time add cards that compliment the AR. What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card. If they have to release a new card in the Altitude family that is a copy of Cash+ except it's a point earner I would consider that for sure

The card is valuable regardless at only $75 net without considering the wifi passes. So I can see an increase even without the 5x bonus.

There are a couple of things they could improve: offer unlimited Priority Pass instead of limited passes; and offer benefits for AUs as well. Right now, you pay $75 for AUs simply for the right to have the card but get no benefits. At least, other premium cards will extend some benefits to AUs like PP or something. I can simply add my card to someone else's mobile wallet and avoid paying the fee altogether. 

They could also try to get a partnership similar to what other cards have with Uber, Lyft, food delivery, etc. IDK what exactly, but something.

I think that if their goal is to compete with other rewards programs, they need to build a good network of benefits to make people jump ship from more established programs. As it stands, the AR is still the card to hold in addition to others instead of being the anchor like what a CSR or AmEx Plat are, if that makes any sense.

Message 5 of 133
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:
What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card.

This ^^^ would be huge, but it seems too good to actually happen.

I really like the AR and the math is currently working out for me even with spend that's modest compared to many, but if the AF goes up I'll have to get out the calculator again.

I will say that if they raise the annual fee and add stuff like uber/doordash/etc. credits that will be bad for me.  I understand that I'm at the absolute very edge of their target demographic, though, and I know they wouldn't miss me.

Message 6 of 133
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

I don't even have the card yet but it's definitely one of my goals. However, if they are planning to create their own little ecosystem with more Altitude cards, I hope the AR doesn't go the Chase/AMEX route of adding random credits that are only beneficial if you already use the services extensively.
Message 7 of 133
Trikoret
Contributor

I hope they don't copy Amex and Chase by adding credits to food and car delivery services and bump up the annual fee. I just got rid of my CSR card since I don't use new the benifits 

Message 8 of 133
NRB525
Super Contributor

Good info.  The hotel and car booking is interesting though I'm not sure how often I would use it. 
The additional two cards could be nice, depending how they get differentiated. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 133
Trikoret
Contributor

It be nice if they add cash and points for RTR. Then I wouldn't mind an annual fee increase. That be a dream come true. 

Message 10 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.