cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

@kerplunk wrote:

I actually have stayed away from this card because of the 3x mobile pay. I very much dislike using my phone to pay for things. It's a pain in the a**.

Me trying to use my phone to pay: "Will it work? Is it supposed to work? Am I doing it wrong or does it not work? You're an employee and you don't know if NFC payments work?" etc.

I see this problem when I go to pay with the mobile wallet too.

For loyalty cards for mobile wallet they pop up as RFID and you can get them out while standing in line to quickly hand to the attendant. Saves space in a smartphone cash wallet.

But when you try to use it both for the loyalty card and to pay then it becomes a real pain. You have to go back through your pay app to select the right payment card while people are waiting in line, then find the scanner to read in the payment which is tricky as all machines have it in a different location.

For 3x/4.5x I think its worth the hassle. For 1x Samsung Pay points I don't think it is.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 81 of 133
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if they offer some kind if incentive in redemption value to entice you to combine the 3 cards. 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 82 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

I'm just hoping they mimic Chase's program somewhat and keep redemptions for AR at 1.5x while lowering the value for the other 2 Altitude cards. I also hope that if USB plans to make significant changes to the value and benefits of AR, they also give some type of notice so people can decide what to do with their points at current value.

Maybe I'm just hoping for too much... 

This depends on your feelings on how they dealt with the Flexperks rewards. Me personally, I need to see how they offically deal with the portal/RTRs redemptions with the AR. If they keep it as is (3X mobile wallet) I can handle the proposed AF hike even with the changes

Message 83 of 133
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I'm just hoping they mimic Chase's program somewhat and keep redemptions for AR at 1.5x while lowering the value for the other 2 Altitude cards. I also hope that if USB plans to make significant changes to the value and benefits of AR, they also give some type of notice so people can decide what to do with their points at current value.

Maybe I'm just hoping for too much... 

This depends on your feelings on how they dealt with the Flexperks rewards. Me personally, I need to see how they offically deal with the portal/RTRs redemptions with the AR. If they keep it as is (3X mobile wallet) I can handle the proposed AF hike even with the changes

Well, that definitely sucked. That's why I'm just 'hoping' but not really expecting much. I can see why they'd just nerf the program without notice. That avoids a massive amount of point redemptions from people cashing out. I'm sure there's a clause in the fine print that says they can change the rewards program at any time without prior notice.

As far as the AR, I'll be fine with an increase in the AF, but I gotta say that my bread and butter is mobile pay 3x and redeeming at 1.5x via RTR. I could still mayyyyybe make it work if the 1.5x stays by redeeming through the portal only. This almost feels like the stock market right now Smiley Very Happy

Do I cash out my ~600k points for $9k on stuff I don't need now or wait it out? Maybe I'll end up with $6k only and kick myself in the nuts.

Message 84 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just hope they give us a notice on when the points value will drop so we can go ahead and use them. I hope they don't treat AR customers like they did for the Flexperks cards.

Message 85 of 133
Caught750
Valued Contributor

They're all about being one of the most ethical banks in the country, if that simply means not stealing from customers Iike other FIs that's rather sad and says a lot about the current state of banking here.  While I'm sure their terms and conditions allow for unannounced devaluations it's certainly not what most would consider "ethical" behavior.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 86 of 133
Trikoret
Contributor

They already devalued the RTR for flex cards without warning. They dropped them to 1 cents as of March 1st

Message 87 of 133
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:

They already devalued the RTR for flex cards without warning. They dropped them to 1 cents as of March 1st

Yes, I'm aware.  It's not a great way to do business.  If it was on oversight that doesn't happen again so be it.  While I'd be very unhappy if I had flex perks sometimes poor judgement prevails.  Fixing that mistake and not doing it again is very important when those things happen

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 88 of 133
Trikoret
Contributor

I have a feeling they are going to nerf the 1.5 RTR redemption and just make it 1. Just how they did to flex cards.  They'll keep the 1.5 rate for portal and I'll they'll allow to pool points between all these new cards into AR. They are trying to copy Chase. This way they'll stop their bleeding from people cashing out their points thru RTR loophole. Lastly they will increase the AR fee and probably have some streaming credits just like the other two new cards. I guess we will have wait and see if the changes make sense. If they don't, I hope there's an option to downgrade the AR next year to the new no fee card. 

Message 89 of 133
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Is this speculation that AR is no longer doing 1.5 redemptions? From what I read I do not see that change.

The no AF card has 4x dining plus an intro APR 0% 12 month period. I am considering that one since I am currently only 2x dining.

I don't have a priority pass card either so the 325 travel credit against the 400 AF looks pretty good. 5x travel portal I suppose is workable for flights. 3x mobile wallet is worth using it. Plus 3x general travel. 

The $95 AF card I don't think is worth it just for non portal 4x travel. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 90 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.