cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@imaximous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I was reading that on DoC too, and I was almost getting excited about the extra points. Then I realized I never book prepaid hotels or car rentals and the fine print says that those bookings through their travel portal do not fall under the travel category. So, does that mean that if you were planning to use points to offset the purchases, RTR wouldn't be triggered because they won't code as travel and you're not booking directly with a hotel or car rental agency? Plus, you can always use a shopping portal for extra points, take advantage of loyalty discounts, etc. I really don't see much or any use for it, TBH.

I do want to see how they restructure their rewards program with the new Altitude cards, and maybe they'll add more benefits to the AR. 


At the minimum I expect the AR to finally get an increase in the annual fee because of this "added perk" they did. They can give it the AMEX Platinum treatment and I'll still pay for it as long as the mobile wallet category is there. For me like you I don't see the point of the new rewards category when cashback portals offer more but I'm willing to bet it's to get those customers who rather go through one website to get everything for their travel needs

 

For the AR itself I don't see how they can add more benefits that are beneficial and at the same time add cards that compliment the AR. What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card. If they have to release a new card in the Altitude family that is a copy of Cash+ except it's a point earner I would consider that for sure


The card is valuable regardless at only $75 net without considering the wifi passes. So I can see an increase even without the 5x bonus.

There are a couple of things they could improve: offer unlimited Priority Pass instead of limited passes; and offer benefits for AUs as well. Right now, you pay $75 for AUs simply for the right to have the card but get no benefits. At least, other premium cards will extend some benefits to AUs like PP or something. I can simply add my card to someone else's mobile wallet and avoid paying the fee altogether. 

They could also try to get a partnership similar to what other cards have with Uber, Lyft, food delivery, etc. IDK what exactly, but something.

I think that if their goal is to compete with other rewards programs, they need to build a good network of benefits to make people jump ship from more established programs. As it stands, the AR is still the card to hold in addition to others instead of being the anchor like what a CSR or AmEx Plat are, if that makes any sense.


Yes, it does but my goodness that mobile wallet category is a hell of a base to work with. That's why I find it hard to see how they can compliment the AR with two other cards. I guess the best they could do is get category cards that cannot be achieved by point of sale like monthly expenses. In essence I want the Cash+ but with points to be used for RTR to go with the AR. We'll see I guess

'He took my Doritos away though' - @imapharmacygirl, Wine Connoisseur
Message 11 of 133
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

I recently completed a directly related marketing survey with them.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were additional shifts in benefits coming that nudge it toward a greater focus as a travel card along with an increase in the AF.



(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@UncleB wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:
What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card.

This ^^^ would be huge, but it seems too good to actually happen.

 

I really like the AR and the math is currently working out for me even with spend that's modest compared to many, but if the AF goes up I'll have to get out the calculator again.

 

I will say that if they raise the annual fee and add stuff like uber/doordash/etc. credits that will be bad for me.  I understand that I'm at the absolute very edge of their target demographic, though, and I know they wouldn't miss me.


I'm actually in favor of the travel additions @imaximous suggested like more/unlimited PP for not only the primary but authorized users as well if they want to increase the AF. Maybe they'll surprise us and not do anything for awhile on AF increase. In the end their mobile wallet category kind of backed themselves into a corner for what to do with the other cards unless they want to be like Chase's CSP/CSR cards where you can pay a smaller AF for similar benefits

'He took my Doritos away though' - @imapharmacygirl, Wine Connoisseur
Message 13 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@coldfusion wrote:

I recently completed a directly related marketing survey with them.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were additional shifts in benefits coming that nudge it toward a greater focus as a travel card along with an increase in the AF.


Interesting. Any insight on what is on the table?

'He took my Doritos away though' - @imapharmacygirl, Wine Connoisseur
Message 14 of 133
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I was reading that on DoC too, and I was almost getting excited about the extra points. Then I realized I never book prepaid hotels or car rentals and the fine print says that those bookings through their travel portal do not fall under the travel category. So, does that mean that if you were planning to use points to offset the purchases, RTR wouldn't be triggered because they won't code as travel and you're not booking directly with a hotel or car rental agency? Plus, you can always use a shopping portal for extra points, take advantage of loyalty discounts, etc. I really don't see much or any use for it, TBH.

I do want to see how they restructure their rewards program with the new Altitude cards, and maybe they'll add more benefits to the AR. 


At the minimum I expect the AR to finally get an increase in the annual fee because of this "added perk" they did. They can give it the AMEX Platinum treatment and I'll still pay for it as long as the mobile wallet category is there. For me like you I don't see the point of the new rewards category when cashback portals offer more but I'm willing to bet it's to get those customers who rather go through one website to get everything for their travel needs

 

For the AR itself I don't see how they can add more benefits that are beneficial and at the same time add cards that compliment the AR. What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card. If they have to release a new card in the Altitude family that is a copy of Cash+ except it's a point earner I would consider that for sure


The card is valuable regardless at only $75 net without considering the wifi passes. So I can see an increase even without the 5x bonus.

There are a couple of things they could improve: offer unlimited Priority Pass instead of limited passes; and offer benefits for AUs as well. Right now, you pay $75 for AUs simply for the right to have the card but get no benefits. At least, other premium cards will extend some benefits to AUs like PP or something. I can simply add my card to someone else's mobile wallet and avoid paying the fee altogether. 

They could also try to get a partnership similar to what other cards have with Uber, Lyft, food delivery, etc. IDK what exactly, but something.

I think that if their goal is to compete with other rewards programs, they need to build a good network of benefits to make people jump ship from more established programs. As it stands, the AR is still the card to hold in addition to others instead of being the anchor like what a CSR or AmEx Plat are, if that makes any sense.


Yes, it does but my goodness that mobile wallet category is a hell of a base to work with. That's why I find it hard to see how they can compliment the AR with two other cards. I guess the best they could do is get category cards that cannot be achieved by point of sale like monthly expenses. In essence I want the Cash+ but with points to be used for RTR to go with the AR. We'll see I guess


I agree. Mobile wallet is so unique and hard to beat based on spending habits. But, along with travel, there's dining and I don't see AR as a good dining card in the US unless you only eat at fast food places where you swipe your own card or mobile orders that also allow digital wallet payments. Abroad, it's worked great for me because of the adoption of mobile terminals that servers bring to your table, and the fact that many a time, an eating place wouldn't code as restaurant, which was pretty annoying. Mobile wallet saves you the hassle.

What I also meant is that the AR isn't like Plat or CSR in terms of being a full premium travel card. Just the fact that they limit PP makes it less premium to me -- kinda cheap-ish, y'know? Or not getting you any status or additional benefits in terms of travel, which is why Plat is sort of king in that regard. The way I see it, AR is a great "earner" and I fully take advantage of it, but lacks that status many people are after to make it THE card to get.

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | GS | PenFed | SYNCB (PP MC, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 15 of 133
angelwingz
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@simplynoir wrote:

As subject title reads. Thanks to Doctor of Credit for the source. US Bank Altitude Reserve has a new rewards cateogry: 5x on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked directly in the Altitude Rewards Center. There is no hike in the annual fee at the present time but I'm speculating that when the two new cards are released that will change

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-altitude-reserve-now-earns-5x-points-on-prepaid-hotels-car-re...

 

Also, with Flexperks card going away US Bank will add two new Altitude-branded cards in the future. Presumption is they're going all in on this reward system and are trying to emulate AMEX/Chase/etc in a rewards program where it is some customer's benefit to nab one or both cards to maximize reward potential

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-bank-to-launch-two-new-altitude-cards/

 

Personally, as long as the mobile wallet category is always there with the Altitude Reserve I'm going to find it really hard to justify getting any other card with Socks Bank even if they do increase the AF on the card itself. I guess we'll see soon enough 🤷‍♂️


Thank you for sharing this!




My Cards:






Profile Type: New, Thick, 100% Clean
INQ's: EQ: 0 TU: 1 EX: 3 (last 12 mo.)
Recent Accounts: 4 (last 24 mo.)
Total CL: 28.95k Util. 3% AAoA: 1yr, 8mo.
AoOA: 2 yrs, 8 mo. AoYA: 0 mo. 100% PIF.





myFICO Member since: July 21, 2018 | Joined Community: Aug. 17, 2018 | Starting Scores: EQ: 716 TU: 738 EX: 698
Message 16 of 133
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@simplynoir wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:
What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card.

This ^^^ would be huge, but it seems too good to actually happen.

 

I really like the AR and the math is currently working out for me even with spend that's modest compared to many, but if the AF goes up I'll have to get out the calculator again.

 

I will say that if they raise the annual fee and add stuff like uber/doordash/etc. credits that will be bad for me.  I understand that I'm at the absolute very edge of their target demographic, though, and I know they wouldn't miss me.


I'm actually in favor of the travel additions @imaximous suggested like more/unlimited PP for not only the primary but authorized users as well if they want to increase the AF. Maybe they'll surprise us and not do anything for awhile on AF increase. In the end their mobile wallet category kind of backed themselves into a corner for what to do with the other cards unless they want to be like Chase's CSP/CSR cards where you can pay a smaller AF for similar benefits


My AF just hit this month -- same with CSR still at $450. At least, I'm good for another year whether they add anything or not Smiley Very Happy 

 

I also think it's safe to say that AF increases in general will happen regardless. Banks just add those 'perks' to soften the blow, but the perks themselves aren't the reason for the increases -- overall costs are.

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | GS | PenFed | SYNCB (PP MC, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 17 of 133
Remedios
Moderator

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon

Because of mobile wallet category and how much I spend using Samsung Pay, AR has always been a cashback card with great travel redemptions. 

Anything else AR has to offer is icing on a cake, and there are plenty of other cards to fill in AR gaps. 

I dont see any lender making One Card To Rule Them All.

 

Now, if they touch mobile wallet, I'm quitting webz. 

 

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 18 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@imaximous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I was reading that on DoC too, and I was almost getting excited about the extra points. Then I realized I never book prepaid hotels or car rentals and the fine print says that those bookings through their travel portal do not fall under the travel category. So, does that mean that if you were planning to use points to offset the purchases, RTR wouldn't be triggered because they won't code as travel and you're not booking directly with a hotel or car rental agency? Plus, you can always use a shopping portal for extra points, take advantage of loyalty discounts, etc. I really don't see much or any use for it, TBH.

I do want to see how they restructure their rewards program with the new Altitude cards, and maybe they'll add more benefits to the AR. 


At the minimum I expect the AR to finally get an increase in the annual fee because of this "added perk" they did. They can give it the AMEX Platinum treatment and I'll still pay for it as long as the mobile wallet category is there. For me like you I don't see the point of the new rewards category when cashback portals offer more but I'm willing to bet it's to get those customers who rather go through one website to get everything for their travel needs

 

For the AR itself I don't see how they can add more benefits that are beneficial and at the same time add cards that compliment the AR. What I would like to see is getting the Cash+ cashback convert to points to be added to the AR point pool like Citi did with the DC or Chase's Freedom card. If they have to release a new card in the Altitude family that is a copy of Cash+ except it's a point earner I would consider that for sure


The card is valuable regardless at only $75 net without considering the wifi passes. So I can see an increase even without the 5x bonus.

There are a couple of things they could improve: offer unlimited Priority Pass instead of limited passes; and offer benefits for AUs as well. Right now, you pay $75 for AUs simply for the right to have the card but get no benefits. At least, other premium cards will extend some benefits to AUs like PP or something. I can simply add my card to someone else's mobile wallet and avoid paying the fee altogether. 

They could also try to get a partnership similar to what other cards have with Uber, Lyft, food delivery, etc. IDK what exactly, but something.

I think that if their goal is to compete with other rewards programs, they need to build a good network of benefits to make people jump ship from more established programs. As it stands, the AR is still the card to hold in addition to others instead of being the anchor like what a CSR or AmEx Plat are, if that makes any sense.


Yes, it does but my goodness that mobile wallet category is a hell of a base to work with. That's why I find it hard to see how they can compliment the AR with two other cards. I guess the best they could do is get category cards that cannot be achieved by point of sale like monthly expenses. In essence I want the Cash+ but with points to be used for RTR to go with the AR. We'll see I guess


I agree. Mobile wallet is so unique and hard to beat based on spending habits. But, along with travel, there's dining and I don't see AR as a good dining card in the US unless you only eat at fast food places where you swipe your own card or mobile orders that also allow digital wallet payments. Abroad, it's worked great for me because of the adoption of mobile terminals that servers bring to your table, and the fact that many a time, an eating place wouldn't code as restaurant, which was pretty annoying. Mobile wallet saves you the hassle.

What I also meant is that the AR isn't like Plat or CSR in terms of being a full premium travel card. Just the fact that they limit PP makes it less premium to me -- kinda cheap-ish, y'know? Or not getting you any status or additional benefits in terms of travel, which is why Plat is sort of king in that regard. The way I see it, AR is a great "earner" and I fully take advantage of it, but lacks that status many people are after to make it THE card to get.


Ah, gotcha. To be fair the AMEX Plat is really the only card like that in the public eye where it's more a perk card than an earner like the CSR. The Plat can be a status symbol but that's a marketing choice by AMEX themselves. I can see how some people really don't care about that and just want to the keep the mobile wallet and RTR going. I know I wouldn't mind if the status quo stayed the same

 

I also low-key blame part of that on Socks Bank and their criteria for getting the card. If you're not in their geographical footprint to get a savings/checking account then you gotta go the credit card route first to become a customer, then you can apply for the card and UW for it is not easy either. To some that would be an annoyance I can see them not wanting to deal with

'He took my Doritos away though' - @imapharmacygirl, Wine Connoisseur
Message 19 of 133
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Altitude News: Added Category for AR & Two New Altitude-Branded Cards Coming Soon


@Remedios wrote:

Now, if they touch mobile wallet, I'm quitting webz. 


I would post YT links to breakup songs and wear sunglasses everywhere if this happens

 

Also, I'm a professional card quitter before a full cardmember year thanks to CNB so I feel like I'm ready if that happens😐

'He took my Doritos away though' - @imapharmacygirl, Wine Connoisseur
Message 20 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.