Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Altitude Reserve: inqs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Altitude Reserve: inqs

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I was wondering about the geographic restrictions since they offer me checking all the time and my closest US Bank branch is in Ohio, but it certainly looks like existing customers are eligible for checking accounts regardless, while new customers are georestricted.

Cash+ is certainly the gateway for many of us to Altitude Reserve.  My file's thick and things are always YMMV, but I had no problems getting the Cash+ (other than quirky initial $500 SL that a lot of us got around that time, requiring recon to $15k) or Altitude Reserve with numerous inquiries and always being LOL/24.  But again, for every case like mine, you're going to see another forum member with excellent credit that may have run into issues. 

AR is a fantastic card (I keep saying it, but it bears repeating - I got this card to churn for the bonus but now find it an absolute keeper with its 4.5% back on non-category spend for mobile payments and instant mobile rewards redemption) and I think it's worth jumping through hoops if necessary.  After the $325 travel credit, the AF is really only $75, and personally the gogoinflight WiFi passes alone already made that up for me.  Cash+ seems to be good for a lot of people to get into USB.  If I had to do it again, I likely would have grabbed one of the Korean Air or Aeromexico cards instead, but neither AR nor SkyTeam loyalty was really on my radar at the time.

The AU would not make her a customer.  If the Cash+ is a throwaway, is there another card offered that makes sense?  (Don't forget co-branded.)

Wow. I was unaware I wanted this card until that sort of an endorsement. It seems like an interesting supplement to the Chase trifecta (hopefully soon quadfecta) that I am shooting for. The mobile wallet payments really cover a lot of gaps that I currently have when it isn't a rotating Freedom category (costco, grocery, drugstores, etc). Does US Bank have as easy of points transfer as the UR? Like could I transfer 1:1 to partners? How are people making this coexist with their other travel cards?

Message 41 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That $25 will dwindle quickly since they charge $14.95/mo w/o a CC to waive the fee Smiley Wink

Right, but I have a CC.   I was prepared to open the basic account and keep $1,500 there for a while to avoid the fee, but this is much cheaper.

And, to show good faith, I even deposited this month's cash+ rewards into the account so now it's a massive $118  (THAT explains the call as we are now talking big money!)

Such a high roller we are when taking adavantage of banks innocence! 

I'm doing about the same with my huge redemption of $50 sitting in the account. 

I can't believe peolpe actually pay banks to have an account these days when there are so many options paying over 2.5% with no fees.

Message 42 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. I was unaware I wanted this card until that sort of an endorsement. It seems like an interesting supplement to the Chase trifecta (hopefully soon quadfecta) that I am shooting for. The mobile wallet payments really cover a lot of gaps that I currently have when it isn't a rotating Freedom category (costco, grocery, drugstores, etc). Does US Bank have as easy of points transfer as the UR? Like could I transfer 1:1 to partners? How are people making this coexist with their other travel cards?

There are no partners to transfer to (so it's easy in that sense!)   You use the points at 1.5cpp, so not as flexible as UR/MR/TY, the key unique feature being a high multiplier on mobile pay.

Message 43 of 64
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yeah, certainly the key with this card is to redeem for travel rewards (either through their portal, or with instant mobile redemption) to get 1.5 cents per point.  I've already done a few redemptions purchasing airfare and upgrades directly on Delta's website.  Text message comes right away, you reply REDEEM, and the credit posts immediately in your account (yes, well before the charge is even finalized).  So comparing it to Chase trifecta, yes it's possible to get more than 3cpp on the 1.5x Freedom Unlimited to beat the AR, but this is pretty simple and works well for knowing you'll always get 4.5% back.  I'm primarily using MRs/URs/TYPs to pay for revenue flights anyway these days, so this is a nice way to have a 4th free airline tickets rewards program (well 6 if you also count SkyMiles and Marriott).

For mobile payments, the card is essentially peerless.  I have a fruitPhone, but for Samsung people, this card is ridiculously essential.  The downside to this card for me is that it's a beautiful card with easy-to-redeem rewards, yet there is really zero reason for me to ever use it outside of Apple Pay.

Message 44 of 64
Remedios
Credit Mentor

When I get mine, I am going to wear it like ID badge. I'll scratch off the first 12 digits. Safety and all. 

Message 45 of 64
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

When I get mine, I am going to wear it like ID badge. I'll scratch off the first 12 digits. Safety and all. 

Numbers are laser-etched on the back.  You can just put it in front of your Amex card for safety; no need to deface it.  Smiley Wink

Message 46 of 64
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You shattered my heart and fed it to Credit One. 

It's fine, I'll wear my US Bank socks as gloves. No shame. 

Message 47 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, certainly the key with this card is to redeem for travel rewards (either through their portal, or with instant mobile redemption) to get 1.5 cents per point.  I've already done a few redemptions purchasing airfare and upgrades directly on Delta's website.  Text message comes right away, you reply REDEEM, and the credit posts immediately in your account (yes, well before the charge is even finalized).  So comparing it to Chase trifecta, yes it's possible to get more than 3cpp on the 1.5x Freedom Unlimited to beat the AR, but this is pretty simple and works well for knowing you'll always get 4.5% back.  I'm primarily using MRs/URs/TYPs to pay for revenue flights anyway these days, so this is a nice way to have a 4th free airline tickets rewards program (well 6 if you also count SkyMiles and Marriott).

For mobile payments, the card is essentially peerless.  I have a fruitPhone, but for Samsung people, this card is ridiculously essential.  The downside to this card for me is that it's a beautiful card with easy-to-redeem rewards, yet there is really zero reason for me to ever use it outside of Apple Pay.

With the bolded section, I assume you are referring to mobile payments and how it outpaces the FU with the 3x and then 1.5 redeem. If I added this I imagine my spend would look like: 

Free: rotating

CSR: Dining and travel

FU: catchall

USB AR: any mobile pay terminal

The only issue I have is taking 2 HP on my credit for having to on the Cash+ first. I hate having a card for the sake of having a card (and the AoAA hit from two new cards). Has anyone experimented with closing the Cash+ after acquiring the Altitude Reserve? Did it lead to adverse actions?

Message 48 of 64
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

I can't answer your question but unless you do not pay for utilities, I can't envision a scenario where it would be financially advantageous to close an open cash+. I am unaware of any other cards offering 5% on utilities.

I can certainly understand NOT adding an account simply to net an extra 1-2% on utilities but, if you already have the card, why would you pass up the extra dough? Or am I missing something?

Message 49 of 64
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Caardvark wrote:

I can't answer your question but unless you do not pay for utilities, I can't envision a scenario where it would be financially advantageous to close an open cash+. I am unaware of any other cards offering 5% on utilities.

I can certainly understand NOT adding an account simply to net an extra 1-2% on utilities but, if you already have the card, why would you pass up the extra dough? Or am I missing something?

For my situation I have the Ink Cash which already covers cell phone, internet, and cable bills with UR points earned to boot as transferable rewards. I don't like getting a card for one singular category (utilities) when the gain is negligible which is why I wanted to go checking account route to begin with. Getting the Cash+ is just a means to an end to get another card you can't apply for til you're a customer but I can at least get some use out of it til AR is feasible and then put that card in the SD. So like @Anonymous I won't have long term use for it but won't close it either I'll just let it sit there.

Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.