Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Altitude Reserve

tag
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

US Bank Altitude Reserve

I spoke to my branch today about wanting to apply for this card in a few weeks.  My banking associate actively discouraged me from applying for the card saying it was online only and only for heavy travelers.  She strongly encouraged me to apply for the Altitude Go instead but to me there isn't much appealing about that card.

Anyone else have that experience with US Bank?  Any downsides to the Altitude Reserve that I'm missing?

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: US Bank Altitude Reserve

Ideally, you'd want to be heavy mobile wallet user, then use rewards for travel, but travel isn't necessary to make AR work. 

I think the better question here is why you thought AR was right for you?

If you did your research, banking associate certainly didn't. 

So maybe, tell us more about why you want it so that comparisons with other cards can be made, if you do decide to look further 

Message 2 of 25
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@summerterrace wrote:

I spoke to my branch today about wanting to apply for this card in a few weeks.  My banking associate actively discouraged me from applying for the card saying it was online only and only for heavy travelers.  She strongly encouraged me to apply for the Altitude Go instead but to me there isn't much appealing about that card.

Anyone else have that experience with US Bank?  Any downsides to the Altitude Reserve that I'm missing?

You can app in-branch,  I've seen multiple posts elsewhere of people who walked into a brick-and-mortar branch, opened up a checking or savings account, once opened applied for the Reserve, and walked out with an approval. 

I'll let @Remedios @UncleB @K-in-Boston comment about usefulness of the card if you don't use it for heavy travel but to put it bluntly you were gaslit. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 25
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

I think the card is a great fit for me because we have a very expensive trip coming up this fall that we will pay for in June- will easily hit the SUB and earn the 3x for travel as well as get the $325 travel credit.  I fly at least once a year and I will use the wifi passes.

Our heaviest monthly expense is the grocery store ours accepts mobile payments thus giving us 3% back on all groceries that we can also pool with our travel points and gas purchases (and restaurants which take mobile wallets).  Booking travel through US bank would give us 4.5% return on that spend.

The banking associate told me today that they can't do applications in the branch or on the phone that the app must be submitted online only.  

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 4 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@summerterrace wrote:

I think the card is a great fit for me because we have a very expensive trip coming up this fall that we will pay for in June- will easily hit the SUB and earn the 3x for travel as well as get the $325 travel credit.  I fly at least once a year and I will use the wifi passes.

Our heaviest monthly expense is the grocery store ours accepts mobile payments thus giving us 3% back on all groceries that we can also pool with our travel points and gas purchases (and restaurants which take mobile wallets).  Booking travel through US bank would give us 4.5% return on that spend.

The banking associate told me today that they can't do applications in the branch or on the phone that the app must be submitted online only.  

You need a different banking associate. 

I don't see how it wouldn't work for you under the conditions you described. 

I'd go for it if I were you. 

Message 5 of 25
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@summerterrace   "The banking associate told me today that they can't do applications in the branch or on the phone that the app must be submitted online only."

No that's not correct.  Did you talk to a counter clerk or someone setting at a real desk?  A counter clerk can only process transactions but someone at a desk can process any banking request under private banker status.  I would call and setup an appt with a sr. lending agent at your local branch they will app any thing you want - it's not about what they think you need it's about what you want.  I've been with USBank for 20+ years and have private banking status I even worked for the parent company for a little bit in IT, I'm very familiar with how they work.

Honestly though nether card is all that fantastic the Go is a poor Amex BCP, the Cash+ has been dropped in status after they made Gas/Groceries/Resturants 2% catagory only and the Reserve is a weak Amex Gold/Chase SR.  The only reason I would go for them is if your scores are in the mid 600's to low 700's once you hit 720+ there's much better cards out there.

Message 6 of 25
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

@Bradac56 wrote:

@summerterrace   "The banking associate told me today that they can't do applications in the branch or on the phone that the app must be submitted online only."

No that's not correct.  Did you talk to a counter clerk or someone setting at a real desk?  A counter clerk can only process transactions but someone at a desk can process any banking request under private banker status.  I would call and setup an appt with a sr. lending agent at your local branch they will app any thing you want - it's not about what they think you need it's about what you want.  I've been with USBank for 20+ years and have private banking status I even worked for the parent company for a little bit in IT, I'm very familiar with how they work.

Honestly though nether card is all that fantastic the Go is a poor Amex BCP, the Cash+ has been dropped in status after they made Gas/Groceries/Resturants 2% catagory only and the Reserve is a weak Amex Gold/Chase SR.  The only reason I would go for them is if your scores are in the mid 600's to low 700's once you hit 720+ there's much better cards out there.

My scores are 780-820.  I was going for AR for the travel credits and I already have the CSP.  Sounds like maybe I should keep looking?

Message 7 of 25
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Bradac56 wrote:

I think you got the credit score requirements mixed up, Amex is the one that will approve when scores are in the mid 600s to low 700s.... a pulse, willingness to pay the AF and no recent derogatory information is all that is needed to get a charge card lol.

Message 8 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I don't understand comparison between Go and BCP 🤷‍♀️

Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bradac56 wrote:

Some of us would disagree with that categorization!  Neither CSR or Amex Gold give 3x(4.5% when used for travel) on mobile payments, which, depending where you live/use it, can be almost all expenses.   For that matter the Go hardly competes with the BCP, it's best at dining not groceries, and, if you have the right spend, Cash+ can be great (e.g. for me cell phone and utilities)

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.