Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ Fraud

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

US Bank Cash+ Fraud

So I noticed a fraudulent transaction today. 

It's at a convenience store about an hour's drive from my home. Haven't been in that town ever.

It's a small charge - $28. But I've heard that's how they start; small charges that seem okayish. I've got a $10k limit on the card - don't want it to create more headache.

Called CSR - they gave me the fraud department number. Weird that they didn't transfer me straightaway; I had to call 2 numbers separately.

The handling was prompt - the card was deactivated immediately. Some paperwork will be sent to me in the next 7-10 business days along with my new card. 

It is a chip card - I had got the chipped version a few months ago. But never used the chip anywhere; I really wish stores get the chip readers up. 

Will keep you posted about what happens next.

BTW, any idea how Mint would handle the new card? I'm not worried about CRs; I believe the account history will get carried over to the new card.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ Fraud

@Ghoshida wrote:

So I noticed a fraudulent transaction today. 

It's at a convenience store about an hour's drive from my home. Haven't been in that town ever.

It's a small charge - $28. But I've heard that's how they start; small charges that seem okayish. I've got a $10k limit on the card - don't want it to create more headache.

Called CSR - they gave me the fraud department number. Weird that they didn't transfer me straightaway; I had to call 2 numbers separately.

The handling was prompt - the card was deactivated immediately. Some paperwork will be sent to me in the next 7-10 business days along with my new card. 

It is a chip card - I had got the chipped version a few months ago. But never used the chip anywhere; I really wish stores get the chip readers up. 

Will keep you posted about what happens next.

BTW, any idea how Mint would handle the new card? I'm not worried about CRs; I believe the account history will get carried over to the new card.

Doesn't MINT use your online login?   When similar things happened to me, I think (dont use MINT much now) it picks up the "new" account.  In some cases it noted that the old account was gone and asked if it should be marked closed, other times it just reported with $0 balance, presumably depends on how the CCC online account works (if the old one is visible for some time)

Message 2 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Doesn't MINT use your online login?   When similar things happened to me, I think (dont use MINT much now) it picks up the "new" account.  In some cases it noted that the old account was gone and asked if it should be marked closed, other times it just reported with $0 balance, presumably depends on how the CCC online account works (if the old one is visible for some time)

Thanks!

Mint does use online login; but I didn't know how they tracked an account and its transactions. I was thinking it is by the account number, which I think is now going to change. Never experienced what happens when physical card numbers change.

But I guess US Bank will have a way of communicating that the new number essentially belongs to the same "account" and old transactions should get carried over. Hopefully.

Message 3 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Update: False alarm

One of the restaurants I visit every week in ATX got a replacement CC reader from one of their sister stores from Temple.

Figured out after that store featured again on my CSP and the charges were exactly what I paid for the restaurant bill.

Now I need to call US Bank again and fix this. Why don't they have a chat service Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Update: False alarm

One of the restaurants I visit every week in ATX got a replacement CC reader from one of their sister stores from Temple.

Figured out after that store featured again on my CSP and the charges were exactly what I paid for the restaurant bill.

Now I need to call US Bank again and fix this. Why don't they have a chat service Smiley Sad

yeah, that was kind of my first thought; maybe the store network name is not obvious. I've had to squint at some of my statement charges sometimes if I use an odd store.

Your best action now? no action. The card closure / Fraud action squad has been activated. Turning it off would probably only cause more problems.

Enjoy your new card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 10
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Well you can't do nothing (sorry for double negative)

Getting the new card is fine, but there is still the issue that they should pay for what turns out to be a legitimate charge.  So you will need to advise them that it was a legitimate charge.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Sladyesq wrote:

Getting the new card is fine, but there is still the issue that they should pay for what turns out to be a legitimate charge.  So you will need to advise them that it was a legitimate charge.

Agreed, and that hopefully doesn't open a bigger can of worms. US Bank may be able to just move the charge to the new account, since it has been "authorized" now.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Sladyesq wrote:

Agreed, and that hopefully doesn't open a bigger can of worms. US Bank may be able to just move the charge to the new account, since it has been "authorized" now.

Thanks both of you.

Yes, I'm more worried about the part where the transaction is a legit one and I should pay for it. I'll call them for it.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Sladyesq wrote:

Thanks both of you.

Yes, I'm more worried about the part where the transaction is a legit one and I should pay for it. I'll call them for it.

Good call Sladyesq. Not to mention when you use your new US Bank Cash+ card at the same location the CCC may mark it as a fraudulent charge and decline the purchase. It's better to be proactive.

SN: Idk how cccs deal with fraud. They may contact the merchant and you don't want the owner thinking s/he has a thief working for them.

Message 9 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Sladyesq wrote:

Thanks both of you.

Good call Sladyesq. Not to mention when you use your new US Bank Cash+ card at the same location the CCC may mark it as a fraudulent charge and decline the purchase. It's better to be proactive.

SN: Idk how cccs deal with fraud. They may contact the merchant and you don't want the owner thinking s/he has a thief working for them.

I called US Bank and told them that it was a legit charge. 

Fraud investigation is closed (dunno what they'd started anyway) but new card was on its way out and I got it yesterday. 

I have 3 Cash+ cards now! (Okay only two of them work but still, they all look pretty Smiley Tongue )

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.