Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ MCC coding conundrum

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: US Bank Cash+ MCC coding conundrum

@longtimelurker wrote:

In the past, didn't Cash+ have a way of seeing rewards per transaction (in a very confusing way, but still there!)  Can't find it now or for the Altitude Reserve

Yep, but U.S. Bank killed it with the last web site redesign.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 35
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Closed my Cash+ a month ago, so can't screen shot - show you !

However they have a download to csv option and one of the fields is MCC code.

You can then view with text editor or import to excell, etc.

This ^^^.

Open in Excel (or other program) and look at the memo field... the last four digits will be the MCC.

ATT MCC codes.png

@UncleB and @Kforce Thanks worked like a charm!

I wasn't sure how to find this feature, but am now aware. Now I can see confirmed that both internet service and cell phone do indeed code as 4814. Sweet, now i can confidently pick another category for next quarter in place of TV-Internet-Streaming. For anyone who might want to know where the download feature is located:

Cash+ download csv.png

Cash+ download csv 2.png

Message 12 of 35
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly   That's really odd. I wonder why they bother to separate the categories if they just code it together?  Shoot.....I might have to take another look at how I'm using my categories now. I have a project for tonight!

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 13 of 35
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

In the past, didn't Cash+ have a way of seeing rewards per transaction (in a very confusing way, but still there!)  Can't find it now or for the Altitude Reserve

Yep, but U.S. Bank killed it with the last web site redesign.  Smiley Frustrated

9 out of 10 times an upgrade is really a downgrade (YMMV)

Message 14 of 35
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

And now that I think about it, it also begs the question of how Elan codes the MCP as well.  If they use the same coding, I could combine cell phone/internet service into one category on the MCP and have 2 categories open to re-asign between the MCP and Cash+.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 15 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Xfinity (cable, internet) and Xfinity mobile will not be in the same category.

I never looked at how either one codes,  tried both under TV/internet blah blah blah and mobile got one baby point per dollar. 

That was about two years ago, not sure if it changed since. 

Message 16 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That's how US Bank rolls, remove everything that works to make room for things that don't work. 

Message 17 of 35
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly   Mind if I ask what Internet service you have that is coding as Cell Phone?  I wonder if coding can sometimes be regionally different?  I just checked mine with US Bank and I get:

Duke Energy 4900 - Utilities

Water Co  4900 - Utilities

Spectrum Internet  4899 - Cable Satellite and TV services

YouTubeTV  7372 - Computer Programming & Data Processing  (this is really weird....is this the standard coding for Streaming Services? I went to my Amex BCP to see what Netflix is coded for and couldn't find anything there)

EDIT: And just to re-emphasize, YouTubeTV is counted as either Utilities or Internet according to US Bank, not sure which it falls into

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 18 of 35
Titans84
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

And now that I think about it, it also begs the question of how Elan codes the MCP as well.  If they use the same coding, I could combine cell phone/internet service into one category on the MCP and have 2 categories open to re-asign between the MCP and Cash+.

You can view the MCC coding the same way as US Bank using the Elan website. The coding looks to be identical as US Bank. I switched one of my Elan categories to my 2nd Cash+ and looking back at the older charges the codes are the same as now.

Current FICO 8:

Message 19 of 35
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly   Mind if I ask what Internet service you have that is coding as Cell Phone?  I wonder if coding can sometimes be regionally different?  I just checked mine with US Bank and I get:

Duke Energy 4900 - Utilities

Water Co  4900 - Utilities

Spectrum Internet  4899 - Cable Satellite and TV services

YouTubeTV  7372 - Computer Programming & Data Processing  (this is really weird....is this the standard coding for Streaming Services? I went to my Amex BCP to see what Netflix is coded for and couldn't find anything there)

EDIT: And just to re-emphasize, YouTubeTV is counted as either Utilities or Internet according to US Bank, not sure which it falls into

I love the 5% back for my FPL utility & TMobile bill, max the 5% cashback every quarter for few years now is great.

However, when it comes to your YouTube TV wouldn't you be better off putting that on your AMEX BCP for the 6% Groceries & Streaming?

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.