Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ Plus Credit Card 5% Category Analysis

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ Plus Credit Card 5% Category Analysis

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Agree that having to sit and download the file and dig for the MCC is overkill. They need to just display the rewards in a straightforward way similar to Chase or Barclay's.

Um, you're being facetious, right?  I see it as exactly the opposite.

Because with Chase or Barclays, there's absolutely no way to figure out what MCC a purchase was coded as. With Chase, you won't even know until the next statement is cut whether or not something qualified for bonus, and even then you have to do some potentially complex math to determine which transactions qualified for bonus and which didn't. With USBank, I can do a test transaction and as soon as it posts, see the MCC it registered as and whether or not it received bonus rewards. Then I know whether to put more charges at that store on the USBank card or divert to another card.

Chris.

I'm not being facetious. Chase will tell you the rewards earned per transaction. No it doesn't list the MCC but it tells you the rewards earned. Click on the details of a transaction and you'll see. Barclay's also makes points earned very clear next to every transaction.

US bank doesn't just display the MCC, you have to download the file and look. Big deal not really, but certainly less straightforward. US bank does tell you the merchant was a 5 percent or 2 percent but the only way to know exactly is to download the file. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Agree that having to sit and download the file and dig for the MCC is overkill. They need to just display the rewards in a straightforward way similar to Chase or Barclay's.

Um, you're being facetious, right?  I see it as exactly the opposite.

Because with Chase or Barclays, there's absolutely no way to figure out what MCC a purchase was coded as. With Chase, you won't even know until the next statement is cut whether or not something qualified for bonus, and even then you have to do some potentially complex math to determine which transactions qualified for bonus and which didn't. With USBank, I can do a test transaction and as soon as it posts, see the MCC it registered as and whether or not it received bonus rewards. Then I know whether to put more charges at that store on the USBank card or divert to another card.

Chris.

I'm not being facetious. Chase will tell you the rewards earned per transaction. No it doesn't list the MCC but it tells you the rewards earned. Click on the details of a transaction and you'll see. Barclay's also makes points earned very clear next to every transaction.

US bank doesn't just display the MCC, you have to download the file and look. Big deal not really, but certainly less straightforward. US bank does tell you the merchant was a 5 percent or 2 percent but the only way to know exactly is to download the file. 

By golly, you're right!  Now that I see it, I think you or someone else pointed this out to me before; I just have a bad memory.  I know they didn't used to provide that detail.  The irony may be that now that they provide that, it may become unimportant if they phase out the 5% Freedom and move everybody to the Freedom Ultimate.  Time will tell...

Chris.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Discover 5% Restauruant will also cover Fast Food?

@kdm31091 wrote:
I was using my cash+ for fast food, but with discover doing 5 percent with no hassles on "fast food" vs "restaurant", the cash+ will be basically sockdrawered until July.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So Discover 5% Restauruant will also cover Fast Food?

@kdm31091 wrote:
I was using my cash+ for fast food, but with discover doing 5 percent with no hassles on "fast food" vs "restaurant", the cash+ will be basically sockdrawered until July.

Yes. https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html Select Restaurants and Movies, then scroll down. "Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations."

Only US Bank Cash Plus matters in terms of restaurants and fast food as far as I know.

Also Discover - Movies category includes Netflix and Redbox. And possibly Movie Pass, but that's unconfirmed as 2 different CSRs gave different answers.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.