Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ Question

tag
cbarret2
Contributor

US Bank Cash+ Question

I want a little guidance on how I can go about getting this card. The time frame and specific steps I could take to increase my chances of approval and when is the best time to apply (score wise)?

FICO Scores:

Experian: 684

Equifax: 656

TransUnion: 653

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ Question

+1 we really should start a HOW TO GET THE CASH + Card....charrel2 you are asking exactly what I want to know also...lots of questions about the "area" you live in versus the area that US Bank has branches in - some people call in direct, some call a branch, some say they got approved with a phone call, but don't say whether they live in the "service area" so yeah THEY probably can apply by phone.....and then there are just the CR info, like you said score, who do they pull etc.....

Message 2 of 17
cbarret2
Contributor

That sounds like a good idea! I checked their website and it said you can only apply at the branch. They are pretty secretive about the AF and APR, so it must be good. Kind of like when you have to put an item in your cart to see what the price is because it's way lower than the manufacturer wants it to be.

Message 3 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

@cbarret2 wrote:

I want a little guidance on how I can go about getting this card. The time frame and specific steps I could take to increase my chances of approval and when is the best time to apply (score wise)?

FICO Scores:

I recently applied for the Cash+.  Here is some additional information.

1.  AF is $0, APR is 13.99% to 23.99%, FETF is 3%, penalty rate is N/A, overlimit is N/A, BT rate is 3% / 0% (6-9 months), cash advance rate is 4% / 23.99%.

2.  Min CL is $5K, and they like to see some experience with higher CLs.

3.  Min income is $30K.

4.  Hard pull of EX where I live (Colorado).

5.  If rejected, then automatically considered for 1% cashback card.  If approved for this card, there's no magic way to refuse it and back out the hard pull and new tradeline from your report.

6.  Need to apply in branch.  Experiences with applying by phone are quite variable.

I wouldn't recommend applying for this card unless you're in the ballpark.  There's a good chance that you may be stuck with a lesser card that you don't want, and there are other similar choices out there like the Sallie Mae card.

Based on your scores and CLs, I would probably wait a while before applying.

Message 4 of 17
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

I live in south florida, fort lauderdale, nearest branch is 1000 miles away, I have no relationship with US Bank, I apped over the phone, just called in and asked if I can and the rep said, yes, for sure, we proceded and it took less then 10 mins, I was approved for $7500 CL, they pulled equifax for me, my equifax was at 736.

some people have not been able to app over the phone for some reason, I say, if they say no, just hang up and call again, it can be done over the phone. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO APPLY IN BRANCH. 

the apr is like 15% and there is no af.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

user5387 hit the requirements. I have the card and one of the ideas was to encourage people to build a relationship with US Bank (banking as well as credit). Many threads on this site will explain how card users maximized the use of the rewards. The cards has seen a couple of adjustments that put limitations on the rewards. Still a good card. Unlike Discover and Chase Freedom you still have higher caps and more category choices. As was mentioned there are other good cards like the Sallie Mae if you like the issuing bank. Food for thought.
Message 6 of 17
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@cbarret2 wrote:

FICO Scores:

I recently applied for the Cash+.  Here is some additional information.

1.  AF is $0, APR is 13.99% to 23.99%, FETF is 3%, penalty rate is N/A, overlimit is N/A, BT rate is 3% / 0% (6-9 months), cash advance rate is 4% / 23.99%.

2.  Min CL is $5K, and they like to see some experience with higher CLs.

3.  Min income is $30K.

4.  Hard pull of EX where I live (Colorado).

5.  If rejected, then automatically considered for 1% cashback card.  If approved for this card, there's no magic way to refuse it and back out the hard pull and new tradeline from your report.

6.  Need to apply in branch.  Experiences with applying by phone are quite variable.

I wouldn't recommend applying for this card unless you're in the ballpark.  There's a good chance that you may be stuck with a lesser card that you don't want, and there are other similar choices out there like the Sallie Mae card.

Based on your scores and CLs, I would probably wait a while before applying.

+1 ... I agree exept for #6 it is better if you can app in branch but if your not near one you CAN app over the phone, I did in november of this year. 

your scored do need to be a little higher at least near or above 700 becuase if you dont get approved for the cash+ the 1% card really stinks, its like you have to make sure you will be able to get the cash+ so I would say at least 700 plus on the scores and at least 1 CC with $5000+ before you apply.

Message 7 of 17
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Like others said, I'd wait on the Cash+ at those scores.  I app'd for the Cash+ ONLY because I was in Chicago on business, and they have branches there, this was back in September.   My FICO's were high 600's, and the banker told me I JUST missed getting the Cash+, that my score was just a tiny bit lower than the accepted score.

Now he may have been BSing me, but now I have the 1% card with a 5K limit.  My score has since shot up to the 720 range, so I'm going to try and PC in the next 3 - 6 months.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with your p/c!
Message 9 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@slap_happy wrote:

I live in south florida, fort lauderdale, nearest branch is 1000 miles away, I have no relationship with US Bank, I apped over the phone, just called in and asked if I can and the rep said, yes, for sure, we proceded and it took less then 10 mins, I was approved for $7500 CL, they pulled equifax for me, my equifax was at 736.

some people have not been able to app over the phone for some reason, I say, if they say no, just hang up and call again, it can be done over the phone. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO APPLY IN BRANCH. 

the apr is like 15% and there is no af.

This is a YMMV, there have been more than a few who have tried and either were approved with another product or were denied.  

I can recall one poster who received a FlexPerks because they lived in NJ and another from Texas, that took the HP only to receive a letter stating the account could not be opened.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.