Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ for Costco?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank Cash+ for Costco?

Has anyone tried using this card for 5% cashback at Costco? 

Do I have a decent shot at approval with FICO in 720s but thin credit (almost one year), 7 new accounts in the last year, around 10 HPs, Utilization 5-10%?

20 REPLIES 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: US Bank Cash+ for Costco?

7 new accounts within the past 12 months and short AAoA may prove a bit trivial for the Cash+.

While the FICO score may be within a good range, it's the other factors that may prove a bit challenging for getting the card.

Do you already have an existing USB relationship?
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, they have no presence in MA.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, they have no presence in MA.

I remember when you had to apply for this card in branch. I don't think the cash+ has a category for wholesale clubs. Correct me if I am wrong. The best USBank card would be paying with Altitude Reserve via mobile wallet.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@avogadro12 actually that was a misconception that the cash+ was only available in branch. I live in Texas and I also have no branch anywhere near me, but in 2014 I was able to easily open the cash+ over the phone - this wasn't talked about much if at all online, it only said not available to app online and I think mostly it's just people didn't try to app over the phone and assumed you had to do it in branch.

I don't recall wholesale clubs having been a category or not for this card, but currently it's not.

Currently category options for 5% are: home utilities, ground transportation, select clothing stores, cell phone providers, electronic stores, car rentals, gym/fitness centers, fast food, sporting goods stores, dept stores, furniture stores, and movie theaters. And remember you get to pick 2 categories every quarter.
Message 5 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm surprised they've still been able to offer 3x/4.5% (towards travel) on Altitude Reserve mobile wallet purchases. That seems to be the current winner for Costco (3 cpp for a UR is doable but I can't hit it as a long-term average).

I've considered AR...but I'm not a US Bank deposit customer. I get a nagging feeling they'd nerf it as soon as I moved over!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe this 5% would qualify as most CC's disclaimer would cat this under warehouse club and not retail store. Most of these deep pocketed CD's and rewards have an exclusive relationship with a partnering card vendor for clubs ie. Costco/Sam's.

Message 7 of 21
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone tried using this card for 5% cashback at Costco? 

Do I have a decent shot at approval with FICO in 720s but thin credit (almost one year), 7 new accounts in the last year, around 10 HPs, Utilization 5-10%?

I just used a Chase Freedom card for the explicit 5 % ( 5 UR points ) back at Costco, for this quarter.

Cash+ will not get 5% back at Costco. Ever.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually US Bank changes some of their 5% category options periodically, so it's very possible for wholesale to be up there at some point.
Message 9 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Actually US Bank changes some of their 5% category options periodically, so it's very possible for wholesale to be up there at some point.

True, but many would argue not for the better.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.