Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

Thinking of scooping this card up in 2021.  I've searched some threads on here and the overall feedback I've seen has been favorable; It seems most are happy with the card.  Just wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about it or any poor experiences with USB?  I do not have a prior relationship with them, something that several people think does matter in their lending decision.  What sort of SL range is seen for this card and how do they operate when it comes to CLIs?  I'm most interested in this card for utilities and internet/streaming services, two categories that I currently use a 2% card for.  Doing some quick math I'd easily pick up another $150/yr in CB and I like the $200 SUB of course as well.

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

Overall I have been quite happy with USB and my Cash+. I use it mainly for Utilities. Overall I earn about $25 a month in rewards. 

Nothing negative for me to say. I have been a credit card customer for many years now and I can't think of anything bad.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 65
digitek
Established Contributor

I've had one for a few years now and it is solid. US Bank can be a little low with their Limits for new account holders, or maybe I should say that it is on the low side of things compared to some others that are known for large limits. Their CLI's are strange in that you can request one yourself on the website and it may or may not result in a HP or you can call them and ask for one or even a specific limit and they will definitely HP and manually review the request.

Nothing bad to say about it really. It is both a pain in the butt to have to choose your categories every 3 months and also a good thing in that you can change them if needed. For utilities if you prepay a few months you can then choose something else for the next quarter or so if you know you are going to spend in a different category coming up.

I like US Bank as a bank, no issues there.

Solid card for me, no regrets.

Message 3 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If you look back at old threads, you might find complaints about nerfing.    The card is a mere shadow of itself compared to what I had in 2012. 

But, for new applicants, that really doesn't matter (except that it shows that USB, like many others, isn't shy of nerfing) and it's still good value if the 5% categories can be used.

Message 4 of 65
vic6string
Regular Contributor

I applied a few days ago and am awaiting a response. If I get it, this will be primarily just a utilities card (air conditioner 24/7/365 in South Florida makes for huge electric bills). I was declined last year when I applied as I didn't know they have a 1/12 rule (correct me if wrong, I think it is 1/12) where you can only have one new card in the last 12 months. The explanation given on the letter of the denial was just that (something along the lines of "too many new accounts"). 

Message 5 of 65
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@vic6string wrote:

I applied a few days ago and am awaiting a response. If I get it, this will be primarily just a utilities card (air conditioner 24/7/365 in South Florida makes for huge electric bills). I was declined last year when I applied as I didn't know they have a 1/12 rule (correct me if wrong, I think it is 1/12) where you can only have one new card in the last 12 months. The explanation given on the letter of the denial was just that (something along the lines of "too many new accounts"). 

+1  Yes, among the large national banks, US Bank's 1/12 policy is one of if not the most conservative guidelines on new accounts.  Bank of America's is 3/12 (or 7/12 for deposit account holders.)  Of course, Chase is 5/24 so you can have 4/12 and still be approved by them.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

If you look back at old threads, you might find complaints about nerfing.    The card is a mere shadow of itself compared to what I had in 2012. 

Good to know.  What sort of benefits have they nixed along the way since you came on board?

Message 7 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vic6string wrote:

I was declined last year when I applied as I didn't know they have a 1/12 rule (correct me if wrong, I think it is 1/12) where you can only have one new card in the last 12 months. The explanation given on the letter of the denial was just that (something along the lines of "too many new accounts"). 

Yes I do recall reading about that 1/12 rule, which is quite aggressive.  That rule is for a revolver and not just any account?  If I did pull the trigger after my refi I imagine I'd get the app in long before the new mortgage reported, but you never know.  I'm at 0/43 currently, so I'm not all too worried about that.

Anything else noteworthy profile wise outside of new accounts that they are known to either like or dislike outside of the norm?

Message 8 of 65
CluelessJohn
Contributor

I've had the card for just over 2 years. SL was $5K and this is my only account with USBank.  Earlier this year I received a SP increase to $10K via their website tool. Purely a utilities & cable/streaming card for me - never gets in my wallet.  I PIF every month net of rewards.  Charge $100 and pay $95.  No lag, no minimums, no increments on rewards - my type of card.  Only complaint is just a nit - can't redeem rewards using the app.

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 9 of 65
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I personally wouldn't interrupt my SUB chasing for one, but as you're already at 0/12 it's a good time to get one.

Without a list of your other cards it's hard to comment on ongoing marginal value...but it's always nice to have a few cards giving 5% cash back on something when travel habits change or a program gets nerfed.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.