Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

I got mine just to chase the bonus and be eligible for Altitude Reserve, which I was heavily considering at the time.  That was just a little over three years ago.  I was one of a number of people here at that time who strangely got approved for a $500 limit with a profile that would support far more, and at that time you did not know your limit until you received the physical card.  

That was an easy recon call.  The underwriter pulled up my report and sounded as bewildered as I was on the approval amount.  He asked how much I wanted and I just went with $15k (average revolving limit at the time was just north of $25k so not at all unreasonable), he said he didn't see that being an issue at all but he would have to put it into the system and I should know in a few days.  Called the automated line the next day and my credit line was $15,000 (also a quirk at that time was that Visa Signature products did not show a limit in online accounts just two dashes (--) next to the limit; they changed that a few months later).

I used the card the first month and got my SUB.  Since this was the days of earning SPG and spending Marriott and getting about 8% back across the board for me, I had no use for a 5% card, then they gave me a BT offer that I took advantage of and with the 3% fee it put me at just over 50% utilization.  Then I was in NYC and got the call just to make sure I had booked a hotel room in Indiana through Priceline and purchased a few hundred dollars worth of Sonic Drive-In gift cards.  Definitely not me, so they closed the card and sent me out a replacement with a new number, and no worries about the charges.  

The next month, I saw the new account with the same opening date replace the existing one on my EQ and TU reports, but the new one sat there next to the original one on my EX report - and since it wasn't updating I had a card at over 50% utilization that wasn't going down at all.  After a few months of it not going away, I called US Bank.  They had me physically mail them a letter and copy of my credit report with the duplicate accounts noted.  Crickets.  I called back and got nowhere.  Eventually I did a CFPB complaint, and USB not only removed the original account, but the duplicate one as well - and to this date has never appeared again on EX.  They did mail me an apology letter as well noting that they had removed the duplicate account.  Eventually, if the card reaches my AAoA I might contact them to ask them to add it back to Experian.

Those were my only hiccups with USB.  The $500 SL happened to a lot of people at that time, and the fluke with the fraud and reporting error could have happened with any lender I'm sure.  And I have not heard of others having to deal with that. 

I ended up grabbing Altitude Reserve and love it.  After the BT was paid off on Cash+, the Starwood and Marriott merger was complete, Amex and Chase changed the earnings on the cards around, and 8% back on all spend was no longer reality.  So I began using it for 5% categories and it's been great for utilities.  A few SP CLIs have me sitting at $24,500 on the card, which is far more than I need for a quarterly 5% card.

If you think the card might make sense for you, I'd definitely give it a glowing recommendation.

Message 11 of 65
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You would have to bring up SPG @K-in-Boston  Smiley Sad

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 65
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I found that the card has the most value if the categories truly fit in with your setup, but that are also not affected by changing circumstances (such as c19). Before I PC'd to the Altitude Go, my selected categories were gyms and wireless, as those were higher monthly bills. When gyms shut down here in CA (which they are again), that category became unreliable so I switched to internet services, but my local ISP for whatever reason doesn't code for the 5% eligibility. The ability to change quarterly choices is nice, but when you look at the list, there are going to be things that just won't be applicable (like movie theaters, or other categories like department stores and sporting goods that you might not need all the time).

Message 13 of 65
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@digitek wrote:

I've had one for a few years now and it is solid. US Bank can be a little low with their Limits for new account holders, or maybe I should say that it is on the low side of things compared to some others that are known for large limits. Their CLI's are strange in that you can request one yourself on the website and it may or may not result in a HP or you can call them and ask for one or even a specific limit and they will definitely HP and manually review the request.

Can be a little low with their Limits for new account holders, this was my experience also.

Nothing bad to say about it really. It is both a pain in the butt to have to choose your categories every 3 months and also a good thing in that you can change them if needed. For utilities if you prepay a few months you can then choose something else for the next quarter or so if you know you are going to spend in a different category coming up.

It lives in a sock drawer and covers 3 categories at 5%

I like US Bank as a bank, no issues there.

Solid card for me, no regrets.

+ 1

It lives in a sock drawer and earns 5% in three catagories with a little pre pay and catagory switch.

Message 14 of 65
ficosuave
Contributor

I was one who got the $500 approval a few years ago, though it was easily reconned to a more respectable amount. Thanks to the 5% utilites and cable, I rack up a steady chunk of rewards every month. Rarely use it for anything else, though once in a while they'll send out offers to earn more for everyday spend. No complaints, it's an indespensable card for me. And service the few times I've had to use it has been pleasant.

Message 15 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Without a list of your other cards it's hard to comment on ongoing marginal value...but it's always nice to have a few cards giving 5% cash back on something when travel habits change or a program gets nerfed.

As stated on the previous page, with only getting 2% on utilities/internet/streaming with my current card lineup I've sort of determined this card would yield me $150+ in CB per year over my current routine.  $150/yr coupled with a $200 SUB constitutes enough value in my eyes at this time.

Message 16 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outside of those $500 SLs from a few years back that seems to have been rectified, what sort of approval SLs are we seeing currently on the card?

Message 17 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied before the pandemic was full swing and got $7.5k SL with just $150 sub. I don't make much money so that's a pretty generous SL for me.

I mainly use it for the streaming and transportation categories. Don't really take advantage of the 2% categories. And I've made about $80 bucks so far in cashback in less than a year. I opened a gold checking account with them in order to redeem/deposit my cashback including the $150 sub.

This along with my Penfed PCR are pretty much my main cards.

Message 18 of 65
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Not sure if they still offer it, but there at least used to be an additional bonus if you redeemed your first cash back of $100 or more (i.e. after the SUB posts) to a prepaid debit card.

Message 19 of 65
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Not sure if they still offer it, but there at least used to be an additional bonus if you redeemed your first cash back of $100 or more (i.e. after the SUB posts) to a prepaid debit card.

And before that, I think it was every time you redeemed $100 or more.

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Without a list of your other cards it's hard to comment on ongoing marginal value...but it's always nice to have a few cards giving 5% cash back on something when travel habits change or a program gets nerfed.

As stated on the previous page, with only getting 2% on utilities/internet/streaming with my current card lineup I've sort of determined this card would yield me $150+ in CB per year over my current routine.  $150/yr coupled with a $200 SUB constitutes enough value in my eyes at this time.

Keep in mind there may be rotating categories and targeted/temporary promotions on other cards that eat into the $150. Discover is doing streaming in Q2 2021.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.