Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash+ opinions/feedback

That's true above.  When it comes to utilities though, outside of a small window promo on Amazon Prime last year I haven't seen that category elsewhere across any of my current cards.

Message 21 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied before the pandemic was full swing and got $7.5k SL with just $150 sub. I don't make much money so that's a pretty generous SL for me.

How was that SL relative to the other limits you had in place at the time of apping?  Did it fall right in the mix?

Message 22 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can get the card then definitely pick it up. The only negative is that it's very difficult to get the card. I was denied and called recon twice. They had 3 main points of emphasis:

1.) 2 inquiries in the past 12 months (they have a 1/12 rule).

2.) Short length of credit history (they like to see at least 1-2 years)

3.) No prior relationship with the bank

They do care a lot about relationships. In assuming because they want you to use them for your mortgage but who knows.

Message 23 of 65
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you can get the card then definitely pick it up. The only negative is that it's very difficult to get the card. I was denied and called recon twice. They had 3 main points of emphasis:

They do care a lot about relationships. In assuming because they want you to use them for your mortgage but who knows.

Are you sure it's inquiries or revolving accounts?

Message 24 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

If you look back at old threads, you might find complaints about nerfing.    The card is a mere shadow of itself compared to what I had in 2012. 

Good to know.  What sort of benefits have they nixed along the way since you came on board?

To be fair, the original formulation was unsustainable!   But here is a partial list of the many nerfs:

1) Originally, the 5% was uncapped (compared to $2000 a quarter now).   Yep, not a good idea for an issuer!

2) Very easily used categories, especially given 1).   These included Bill Pay, Home Improvements, Airfare

3) Bonus if you redeemed into a US Bank checking account.  I didn't have one at the time but think it was between 10 and 25% bonus depending on the type of checking.  

4) Originally bonus every time redeemed $100, this went to once per year, then just the very first time.

5) Categories moved and replaced.   This is somewhat subjective, as one person's useless category works well for another.   I got great use out of charity, as my animal hospital vet coded that way.   

But still a useful card for many, just not now THE ONLY CARD YOU NEED (for MS types anyway!)

Message 25 of 65
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's true above.  When it comes to utilities though, outside of a small window promo on Amazon Prime last year I haven't seen that category elsewhere across any of my current cards.

Depending on how much your utilities are, the BBVA ClearPoints could potentially be a better utility card because it has a 3% uncapped bill and utilities category that includes car insurance. When I crunched the numbers for us, the BBVA card yields almost $100 more in cash back per year because of that. My eventual plan is to get the Cash+ and use it in combination with the ClearPoints to get 5% up to the cap and 3% on everything else. 

If I could only have one of them though, the ClearPoints would be the utility better card overall. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 26 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My inquiries / new accounts are in a good place and my length of credit history is solid, so it's really only the 3rd point above that worries me.  I guess my question then turns to how many people have been approved for this card with no US Bank prior relationship, and/or how many have been denied for the quoted reason above?

Message 27 of 65
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My inquiries / new accounts are in a good place and my length of credit history is solid, so it's really only the 3rd point above that worries me.  I guess my question then turns to how many people have been approved for this card with no US Bank prior relationship, and/or how many have been denied for the quoted reason above?

You don't need existing relationship, unless you were applying for AR (that's not even possible now).

That's just an "extra" reason thrown in there. 

In terms of SL, they are all over board. Could be $4000, could be $15,000

Longer you abstained from credit seeking, better for you overall. 

I don't really see you getting denied, but manual review is possible, so if you want this card by any particular date, apply a few days earlier than you normally would. 

I have two of their cards and a loan, I haven't encountered any issues with US Bank other than hating website. App has had some improvements, it's still kinda meh 

Message 28 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The first 2 points are necessary, but the third one regarding relationship is helpful, but not necessary. If you got denied you could try calling recon. When I called recon the first guy I got was extremely dismissive and didn't care. The second lady sounded like she wanted to send me back, but she couldn't do it because of the combination of having BOTH number 1 and number 2. Had I had only one of the two should would have considered me for recon. The first guy I talked to emphasized relationship a lot.

Message 29 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure it's inquiries or revolving accounts?

I'm not sure actually. I can't remember if they said inquiries or revolving accounts. Either way, it was the same thing for me because I had 2 inquiries and 2 new accounts.

Message 30 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.