Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+

tag
slippy84
Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+

Well at this point it is still just as good as the other rotating cash back cards IMO, with the added flexibility of picking categories yourself. The part that remains to be seen is how they'll change it in the future, with the rapid pace of changes they've been going through

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 11 of 28
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@slippy84 wrote:

Well at this point it is still just as good as the other rotating cash back cards IMO, with the added flexibility of picking categories yourself. The part that remains to be seen is how they'll change it in the future, with the rapid pace of changes they've been going through

Well hopefully that's all the negative changes they make lol cuz I'm thinking I might add this card to compliment my It and Freedom

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

Well hopefully that's all the negative changes they make lol cuz I'm thinking I might add this card to compliment my It and Freedom

IMO, if it serves a fit with any reward gaps by all means consider it - it's not a bad card.  I have it and it serves its purpose despite some nerfing and caps.

Message 13 of 28
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

IMO, if it serves a fit with any reward gaps by all means consider it - it's not a bad card.  I have it and it serves its purpose despite some nerfing and caps.

Ya, I was looking at their options and I think it could compliment by freedom and it card nicely especially since I could choose whichever two I want each quarter. Seems like a pretty good card to me, even after the nerfing.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 28
Omri
New Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Wow they really downgraded it, would it still be worth to get this card?

It really depends, but I lean towards yes. Do you think you will be using the 5% categories? 5% year round on restaurants can be good for some (though I don't spend much at restaurants). If you get 5% on department stores, you can buy gas gift cards at some department stores to get 5% back on gas year round (in exchange for some hassle). Personally, I love the card - I just bought some furniture for a new house and was able to get 5% back on that, and my church allows automatic donation via credit card and is coded as a charity, so I get 5% back with that as well.

However, if you look at the 5% categories and see nothing you'll conceivably use, then no, it's probably not worth it (although for no annual fee, I say why not?)

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 15 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Once a card has been nerfed, those that had it pre-nerf understandably tend to be somewhat negative.   So I feel this way with the BCP, Cash Plus, and Citi Premier.  The first two went from potentially unlimited cash back to $360 (with $75 AF) and $400 a year in their highest categories, so a real loss.

But history really shouldn't matter to new applicants except perhaps as a prediction for more nerfing, and that is hard  (Is a heavily nerfed card like Cash Plus now more or less likely to be nerfed).   So, as above, look at the features and see if a) they fit your needs, and b) it is among the best that you can reasonably expect to be approved for including things like sign-up bonus (Cash Plus falls down here).

(But sometimes nerfing REALLY makes a card practically valueless.  No way is the Premier now worth $125 a year!)

Message 16 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

While I can empathize with the disappoint of those with this card pre-nerf (who came up with this term?  LOL), in all fairness, 5% cashback in dining/electronics store for the first $10K in a year isn't too shabby.

Message 17 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

While I can empathize with the disappoint of those with this card pre-nerf (who came up with this term?  LOL), in all fairness, 5% cashback in dining/electronics store for the first $10K in a year isn't too shabby.

First 8K, but true anyway!  "Pre-nerf" is registered intellectual property of LongTimeLurker Inc.

Message 18 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

First 8K, but true anyway!  "Pre-nerf" is registered intellectual property of LongTimeLurker Inc.

LOL...what a term!  Right, $8k!  For some reasons, I always think in $10K increments.

Message 19 of 28
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I wanted th cash + well before I had the credit file that would get me one. I watched it get nerfed right before my very eyes, and when the smoke cleared, I still wanted it--though maybe not as bad. So I put it on the back burner for a while. But now it has found its way back to the top of my priority list. So next month at this time, I think that I will accept this pre qualified offer for it. I am getting ready for an app spree in early Feb., but my pre-qualified offer for this card is up on Jan 9th.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.