Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash +

tag
BigBS
Senior Contributor

US Bank Cash +

For those that don't know after a lot of thought and discussion here on the board about the US Bank Cash + card I decided to apply.  Got approved with a decent CL and have even received my card and set up for fast food and restaurant 5% categories.  Nothing interesting there, but at the end of last week I received a letter from US Bank stating "After your recent conversation with our banker, we noticed your excellend credit history and are excited to pre-approve you for the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card."  Two things came to mind when I read the letter.  First, are other folks getting letters like this?  Second, should I app for a second Cash+ card?  Really don't think I could take advantage of the 2 additional 5% categories or the HP, so probably not worth it for me.  If you had the option would you app?

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash +

My wife, who is joint (not AU) on a Cash Plus got the letter, and applied and got a second cash plus.  For us, the second is useful not for additional categories but because we max out one, so the 5% on the extra $2K per quarter (+ the $25 a year) is useful, although not life changing.

Obviously depends on what else you might want to use the HP for, but in your situation I would be tempted to get it, in case one day additional useful categories appear, or you start maxing out your 5% on your existing card.

Message 2 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

For those that don't know after a lot of thought and discussion here on the board about the US Bank Cash + card I decided to apply.  Got approved with a decent CL and have even received my card and set up for fast food and restaurant 5% categories.  Nothing interesting there, but at the end of last week I received a letter from US Bank stating "After your recent conversation with our banker, we noticed your excellend credit history and are excited to pre-approve you for the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card."  Two things came to mind when I read the letter.  First, are other folks getting letters like this?  Second, should I app for a second Cash+ card?  Really don't think I could take advantage of the 2 additional 5% categories or the HP, so probably not worth it for me.  If you had the option would you app?

Thats interesting, other than food i don't really know what other categories are worth persuing, maybe cell phone and gyms i don't even know. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@BigBS wrote:

Thats interesting, other than food i don't really know what other categories are worth persuing, maybe cell phone and gyms i don't even know. 

Obviously depends on what your purchase, but if you want a 5% purchase on Amazon (above the Sallie Mae $750 per month limit for example) you can choose bookstores, or if you are buying computer stuff, you can choose electronic stores etc.  And some might want department stores.

All my spend is on vet bills which usefully and suprisingly is covered under Charity.

Message 4 of 19
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@BigBS wrote:

Obviously depends on what your purchase, but if you want a 5% purchase on Amazon (above the Sallie Mae $750 per month limit for example) you can choose bookstores, or if you are buying computer stuff, you can choose electronic stores etc.  And some might want department stores.

All my spend is on vet bills which usefully and suprisingly is covered under Charity.

Really?  I just got a puppy so I may switch one of my categories in July.  

Does that include Petsmart/Petco as well, or just the stand alone clinics?

Message 5 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@BigBS wrote:

No, just that my vet place (a large teaching hospital I guess) is classified as a charity.  Certainly Petco/Petsmart aren't, and probably many vets aren't either.

For Petco in particular, look at giftcardgranny.  You can get Petco cards more than 20% off, and then use them through cashback portals to get more.

Message 6 of 19
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@BigBS wrote:

No, just that my vet place (a large teaching hospital I guess) is classified as a charity.  Certainly Petco/Petsmart aren't, and probably many vets aren't either.

For Petco in particular, look at giftcardgranny.  You can get Petco cards more than 20% off, and then use them through cashback portals to get more.

Ahhh...I see.  Well I live in a city with a large university with a vet school...maybe I'll call them and see if they would classify as a charity.  My new puppy is cute, but he sure isn't cheap! Smiley Wink

Thanks for the tip on the Petco cards!

Message 7 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would if I could use it, but if you have no use for the extra 5% it seems pointless with your current cards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 19
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Must apologize, my 5% categories were cellphones and fast food as restaurants are covered by Chase this quarter.  Don't know if that makes a difference.  Think there is still only 6 months out of the year that restaurants are not covered by Chase or Discoer.   I don't really go to a lot of restaurants anyway, but that may change in the next few minutes.  Is the ~ 3% difference (Cash+ versus Fid AMEX or Arrival+) significant?

I may be using the HP for a home purchase in the next month or so when I relocate next month.  Not sold on the idea of buying, but really don't want to lose money renting.  We'll see, but that's why I don't want to use the HP unless there is some significant gain to be achieved.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 9 of 19
Involver
Valued Contributor

I need to stop reading about this card!  I would max out the 5% on gym and cellphone every quarter without even having to lift a finger.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.