Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank FlexPoints vs Chase UR points

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank FlexPoints vs Chase UR points

@wasCB14 wrote:

The 5x Freedom card often has a grocery quarter, but it's temporary and capped.

Neither system is particularly good for grocery spend. If you're shopping at places that fit within Amex's "supermarket" category, maybe look at something like Gold or EveryDay Preferred as a way to earn a lot of miles (if you can use the MR transfer partners or their codeshares).

I'd lean towards the AR at 4.5x for groceries all the time without having to think about quaters and limited spend. 

Amex would require that OP add another currency, but I agree they have better cards for supermarkets if the spend justifies getting an Amex.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

It all depends on how you're going to use each currency and the categories that you spend the most on. If you're converting URs to cash only, it is possible that you could get more value from USB depending on your spend. But, I could get a lot more value from transferring URs to partners depending on the circumstances, and if I have the patience and luck to deal with award availability. 

For instance, I have an upcoming reward stay at Hyatt that costs only 15,000 points per night, but the cash price is over $550 per night plus taxes. That's nearly $2,000 for a long weekend, but I'm using only 45,000 points. I can get those points pretty quickly with a cowhere mbination of a few UR earning cards.

I love my USB AR, and I use it a lot with Samsung Pay, but it just can't compete with certain redemptions.

Which Hyatt is that?  I have never seen anything like that.  Consistently getting 1.8  to 2 CPP with Hyatt. I got my Hyatt 2 free nights and beat by a hair the price increase at Regency in Amsterdam.  They raised from 15k to 25k for room that tops out at $300. 

I prefer Marriott points as so many locations, 5th night free and much easier to earn. 

Message 12 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

OP, 1.7 cpp can still be extremely low. If I recall correctly I’m getting over 5cpp value on a Hyatt redemption. I also get well over that on a second Hyatt redemption later this year.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
OP, 1.7 cpp can still be extremely low. If I recall correctly I’m getting over 5cpp value on a Hyatt redemption. I also get well over that on a second Hyatt redemption later this year.

Hotel and dates?

Message 14 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Hyatt Orlando this November under the old award chart. Hyatt OCMD this August.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 15 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

It all depends on how you're going to use each currency and the categories that you spend the most on. If you're converting URs to cash only, it is possible that you could get more value from USB depending on your spend. But, I could get a lot more value from transferring URs to partners depending on the circumstances, and if I have the patience and luck to deal with award availability. 

For instance, I have an upcoming reward stay at Hyatt that costs only 15,000 points per night, but the cash price is over $550 per night plus taxes. That's nearly $2,000 for a long weekend, but I'm using only 45,000 points. I can get those points pretty quickly with a cowhere mbination of a few UR earning cards.

I love my USB AR, and I use it a lot with Samsung Pay, but it just can't compete with certain redemptions.

Which Hyatt is that?  I have never seen anything like that.  Consistently getting 1.8  to 2 CPP with Hyatt. I got my Hyatt 2 free nights and beat by a hair the price increase at Regency in Amsterdam.  They raised from 15k to 25k for room that tops out at $300. 

I prefer Marriott points as so many locations, 5th night free and much easier to earn. 

It’s not a high-end property. It’s a Hyatt Place in Ocean City, MD. What happens is that it’s a 15k-per-night hotel, but in the summer, cash prices per night can go above $500 + taxes per night because it’s right on the beach.

ETA: I can’t get any Marriott points because I have direct family there. I book a special low rate, but it doesn’t qualify for any points or elite nights, so I don’t bother trying to earn any points.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

It’s not a high-end property. It’s a Hyatt Place in Ocean City, MD. What happens is that it’s a 15k-per-night hotel, but in the summer, cash prices per night can go above $500 + taxes per night because it’s right on the beach.

ETA: I can’t get any Marriott points because I have direct family there. I book a special low rate, but it doesn’t qualify for any points or elite nights, so I don’t bother trying to earn any points.

I booked that hotel for 6 days last August.  Cash price was $300 a night.  It didnt open on time and they gave me 100k Hyatt points as compensation.  I didnt ask for compensation.  I rebooked for the Dewey Beach Hyatt which was a better location but hotel wasnt all that great. I stayed at Marriott at Bethany this year which I would say is pretty awesome  

How was the Ocean City Hyatt? I might stay their  next year 

Message 17 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I booked that hotel for 6 days last August.  Cash price was $300 a night.  It didnt open on time and they gave me 100k Hyatt points as compensation.  I didnt ask for compensation.  I rebooked for the Dewey Beach Hyatt which was a better location but hotel wasnt all that great. I stayed at Marriott at Bethany this year which I would say is pretty awesome  

How was the Ocean City Hyatt? I might stay their  next year 

100k points? Wow. That’s pretty much a full week there on points. Easily $3k+ in value this summer. I definitely didn’t find anything for $300.

I haven’t stayed there yet, so I can’t comment on the property but Hyatt Place seems to be pretty consistent in terms of features, so I have a good idea of what to expect. I need space for 5, and they have rooms with 2 queens and sofa bed. It works out great for us.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.