Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Unsecured, when to ask for CLI?

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

US Bank Unsecured, when to ask for CLI?

So when I first started rebuilding my credit I got three secured cards, first was Cap 1 (wish I never got this one because it'll never unsecure) then BofA a month later (unsecured after 10 months then was PC'd to travel Rewards and CLI to $5k from $300, awesome card!) and finally a US Bank platinum a month after that. At the beginning of this month it hit the 12 month mark and I requested it to be unsecured, which they did for me with a TU pull. Question is, when should I ask for a CLI with them, currently at $300. I'm still waiting on them to send me my deposit and new card, they have already converted my card online and even refunded me my $35 AF from last year, which I thought was pretty awesome. Anybody had their US Bank card unsecure and asked for a CLI in the past? I was thinking about asking for 6 or 8 thousand in hopes to get at least $5k from them, so I could possibly PC it in 6 months to a better signature card, like the Flex Perks or Cash plus card. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
IWOL
Established Contributor

Re: US Bank Unsecured, when to ask for CLI?

From what. I have read, it's usually 6 months for a CLI with them. I've had my  Platinum card for 11 months and i have not been able to get any CLI despite trying several times. All my other cards, B of A, Fidelity, Discover and Wells Fargo have given me generous CLI over the last year.

i have found that the underwriters are also usually not very pleasant to deal with and are unfamiliar with their own products. I'm going to give it until the 15 month mark. If I cant get a CLI and PC to Flex or Cash plus I'm going to close the account.

i don't really see a good reason to continue with US Bank.....they don't offer anything that great and many of the other prime lenders are far more generous and pleasurable to work with.

Message 2 of 7
One7
Valued Contributor

Hmmmm... not what I wanted to see, but I guess I'll have to try and be patient (not very good at being patient). I'm also thinking about getting rid of US Bank if they don't help me out, but that would be months from now.  A $300 CL is useless to me

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 3 of 7
One7
Valued Contributor

Asked for a CLI via their link, it says I would get an answer by mail (says so on the application, prior to me entering my info), I hate how slow they are with everything.  I asked for $5k, hope I get lucky.

Message 4 of 7
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Long time USBank customer here......I too had a US Bank secured card that graduated to a US Bank Platinum Card with a 400 dollar limit and I have been unable to get a CLI on that for close to 3 years. Strangely enough, they approved me for the FlexPerks Travel Rewards Signature card about a year ago with a 5000 dollar limit.

When I asked for a CLI, my banker told me that for some reason, it was almost harder to get a CLI than it was to get approval for a new card entirely. That was what led me to apply for the Flexperks Travel card in the first place. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but I have found his statement to be true in my experience. 

If they deny this time, wait for around 6 months or maybe even a year, then try again. If they still say no and your scores are good, I'd suggest exploring other avenues with other banks. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 5 of 7
One7
Valued Contributor

@mjb59463 wrote:

Long time USBank customer here......I too had a US Bank secured card that graduated to a US Bank Platinum Card with a 400 dollar limit and I have been unable to get a CLI on that for close to 3 years. Strangely enough, they approved me for the FlexPerks Travel Rewards Signature card about a year ago with a 5000 dollar limit.

When I asked for a CLI, my banker told me that for some reason, it was almost harder to get a CLI than it was to get approval for a new card entirely. That was what led me to apply for the Flexperks Travel card in the first place. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but I have found his statement to be true in my experience. 

If they deny this time, wait for around 6 months or maybe even a year, then try again. If they still say no and your scores are good, I'd suggest exploring other avenues with other banks. 

Wow... thanks for the information.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I know what to expect.  I hope it's not the case but it seems like it is. I actually want that exact card, which is why I'm trying to get my limit over 5k. I'll let you know how the outcome is whenever I get that letter. Something tells me it'll be a no.

Message 6 of 7
One7
Valued Contributor

**Update** So finally after a week I got my answer in the mail, a big fat NO. They denied me a CLI due to too many new accounts opened recently, guess I can't blame them on that but you would think they would have at least countered with something.... ugh... I'll try again in six months.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.